General Defensive Cover

Common Villager

At risk of being branded negative but Scotchers, I'm really concerned about our lack of defensive cover.

We have 5 senior defenders in the squad. An injury to Long or Ruffels would see us having to play Hanson at full back, which we already know doesn't work.

We're constantly reminded about the importance of competition to keep players on their toes, but our entire back line pretty much knows that that as long as they stay fit they'll play.

It's incredibly poor that we've ended up this position.

Rubbish, we have plenty of fullback cover, and they're all getting plenty of playing time to stay sharp at places like Eastleigh, and Oxford City, and... Gosport Borough. Etc.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the likes of Nico Jones in the second half of the season. I don't know if he's still an exciting prospect or not.

Then again, is Sam Allardyce still at the club? Not heard a peep about him in any youth match reports.

@mooro , you're needed!

P.S Common Villager, I know this isn't what you meant, and I agree that despite having one of the best defences in the league, we're desperately short of bodies in the run-in. I just went off on my own tangent.

I share your concerns, and I was disappointed we didn’t sign a recognised full back in the January window.

What I would say is that I think Robinson sees Forde as an attacking full back and Hanson as a more defensive full back should we get an injury.

No point in worrying what if. We cannot control it.

We’ve had years of not being able to nail down a decent RB on a permanent deal. Riley, Baldock, Kenny, the chap from Exeter who retired from injury whose name escapes me and now Cadden.

I have my doubts over Long but he’s playing well and deserves his shot.

I share your concerns, and I was disappointed we didn’t sign a recognised full back in the January window.

What I would say is that I think Robinson sees Forde as an attacking full back and Hanson as a more defensive full back should we get an injury.

No point in worrying what if. We cannot control it.

We’ve had years of not being able to nail down a decent RB on a permanent deal. Riley, Baldock, Kenny, the chap from Exeter who retired from injury whose name escapes me and now Cadden.

I have my doubts over Long but he’s playing well and deserves his shot.

Christian Ribeiro.

Fortunately Long and ruffles never seem to get injured.
Ruffles has played left back for pretty much 2 seasons straight.
Would I’ve to know his exact stats, unbelievable pro

Perhaps when Ruffels made that dreadful back pass yesterday (and yes it was Ruffels!) it was partly down to mental fatigue after having played an an awful lot of matches in the last two season, and maybe that’s what Robinson was alluding to when he made a few pointed remarks towards the Directors Box?

Perhaps when Ruffels made that dreadful back pass yesterday (and yes it was Ruffels!) it was partly down to mental fatigue after having played an an awful lot of matches in the last two season, and maybe that’s what Robinson was alluding to when he made a few pointed remarks towards the Directors Box?
I agree. He's Mr Consistency. Never less than 7/10. But having to play every game, regardless of how fit he is, is a lot to ask. In his position of left back he is the one player who is truly irreplaceable and if he got injured, who could play that role?

I agree. He's Mr Consistency. Never less than 7/10. But having to play every game, regardless of how fit he is, is a lot to ask. In his position of left back he is the one player who is truly irreplaceable and if he got injured, who could play that role?

The way I see it is that Long is the cover for Left back, which would mean Hanson or Forde coming into the right back spot vacated by Long.

Clearly not ideal and many have recognised the need for another right back to push Sam Long for his starting place.

Jerome said on RadOx yesterday that we had tried to sign one of three right backs, 2 from Scotland and 1 from the Premier League but couldn’t get any of those deals over the line.

I’m assuming that the 3 we targeted were all thought to be an improvement on Long.

So that leaves the choice of signing another right back who is potentially no better than Hanson or Forde just to fill the numbers even though they may not be first choice ahead of Long,

Last edited:
The way I see it is that Long is the cover for Left back, which would mean Hanson or Thorpe coming into the right back spot vacated by Long.

Jerome said on RadOx yesterday that we had tried to sign one of three right backs, 2 from Scotland and 1 from the Premier League but couldn’t get any of those deals over the line.

So that leaves the choice of signing another right back who is potentially no better than Hanson or Thorpe just to fill the numbers even though they may not be first choice ahead of Long,
Who? Did we sneakily sign someone and not announce it? Jeez, the club could have saved us that whole meltdown if they'd just been more transparent..

The way I see it is that Long is the cover for Left back, which would mean Hanson or Thorpe coming into the right back spot vacated by Long.

Clearly not ideal and many have recognised the need for another right back to push Sam Long for his starting place.

I’m assuming that the 3 we targeted were all thought to be an improvement on Long.

So that leaves the choice of signing another right back who is potentially no better than Hanson or Thorpe just to fill the numbers even though they may not be first choice ahead of Long,
Do you mean Forde, not Thorpe? Forde is the player that Robinson has earmarked for that position I think?

Perhaps a return and short term deal for welch-Hayes? He has some experience now and would probably welcome somewhere to train.

Perhaps a return and short term deal for welch-Hayes? He has some experience now and would probably welcome somewhere to train.
I would go along with this as by all accounts he was doing a decent job at Macclesfield, and Campbell seemed to like him.

Re Sam Allardyce he’s to old for the ‘18’s so only gets game time for the 23’s or in the senior cup. I notice he wasn’t on in the squad for the game v Banbury a few days back so may be injured.

We’ve got Jones and Milton who’ll cover CB if needed.

Then you’ve got Hanson, Berkoe & Sade who can also cover full back roles and don’t forget Sam Long who can cover left & right.

Back
Top Bottom