Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

Here's an idea
Might fail miserably as we know Club Staff read the forum
Next time KR is on the 5 minute forum instead of asking how much Tiger has bought the San Siro for and where it's going to be rebuilt in Oxford.
Everyone by Email. Text and Twitter ask the same question of why doesn't DA get a fair crack of the whip

The Gary Bloom article, linked elsewhere suggests something more nuanced in terms of mindset/attitude of players. I can't find the link now, but it is worth reading.

More goes into decisions than the visible performance in games. If a player doesn't track back or play to the system, are they are risk even if they score a goal? Not saying this Agyei's issue or not, but it's a not simple choice. We can all see Sykes is working harder and is a smarter player - let's be honest, he is still in and out of games now, but less so. Etc
By that logic Hall should not have played
His tracking back and ability to mark a player were zero
He did have the ability to score goals and maybe KR weighed that up
He was not an automatic starter but was used very often as a sub. Dan should be seen as his replacement as a sub at least

By that logic Hall should not have played
His tracking back and ability to mark a player were zero
He did have the ability to score goals and maybe KR weighed that up
He was not an automatic starter but was used very often as a sub. Dan should be seen as his replacement as a sub at least
I thought that about Hall! He constantly stuff over his full back by just standing around - the West Ham game was one example.

As for the bench, the Gary Bloom piece was a good insight. Do we know if Agyei has been a consistently top trainer? We don't either way - maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Maybe KR wants a more balanced and experience bench for the big games - we can see Thorne is someone he wants there if fit and with Kelly too, it reduces options for other players - hence Hall going to FGR.

My gut feeling is its more complex than some fans are perceiving it to be

End of the day, in any other walk of life when something just isn’t working, you try something else. You exhaust your options. I think that’s where the confusion comes from here, that things which blatantly just don’t work, or are now completely ineffective, are constantly tried time and again despite the outcome not improving.

We had a manager not so long ago who thought Xemi was better than both Ryan Ledson and Joe Rothwell. We still have one now who 18 months ago thought Jamie Hanson and Samir Carruthers were, on paper, better midfielders than Cameron Brannagan and Shandon Baptiste until injuries forced him to play them regularly, and who also felt that Rob Hall was better than Gavin Whyte if he was available. Just being the manager doesn’t automatically make you right. All some people are asking is to be shown that something is the case, not merely told it when the alternatives are already below par.

Last edited:
Good to hear the guy still getting very little credit on the radio tonight. Robinson refusing to comment on him at all when he was mentioned post match and instead choosing to talk only about Taylor, and even Jerome downplaying the goal a bit at the end of the show. The guy showed pace and power as he usually does on the rare occasions that he’s allowed near the pitch, he got in behind the defence and held off his marker, and then he put it in the back of the net. So what if his shot hit the keeper and looped up before it went in? Why is that any less impressive than if it went two inches to the side and rolled in? He made the run, he got behind the defence, he made sure he could get the shot away and it went in the goal. Case closed.

No idea what the hell you’ve done to offend people so much, Dan, but good on you. And cheers for the laugh - I nearly burst when you put that away tonight ?

Agyei now has the same amount of goals as Mackie and he has yet to even start a match and has played less than 100 minutes in comparison to Mackie having played over 1500 minutes. In the post match interviews Karl Robinson seems to always downplay Agyei's performances and it can even be suggested that he actually doesn't want Agyei to do well when he plays by the continued lack of praise and acknowledgement he gives him when he does well. This i find really strange and sad as this poor man-management by the manager will make the player feel like he isn't treated equally as despite Agyei coming on and changing the game, Mackie will most likely start against Sunderland on Saturday and run around like a headless chicken without providing any threat whatsoever. Karl Robinson honestly needs to wisen up on his team selections as the play-off places aren't a joke and are at stake.

Good to hear the guy still getting very little credit on the radio tonight. Robinson refusing to comment on him at all when he was mentioned post match and instead choosing to talk only about Taylor, and even Jerome downplaying the goal a bit at the end of the show. The guy showed pace and power as he usually does on the rare occasions that he’s allowed near the pitch, he got in behind the defence and held off his marker, and then he put it in the back of the net. So what if his shot hit the keeper and looped up before it went in? Why is that any less impressive than if it went two inches to the side and rolled in? He made the run, he got behind the defence, he made sure he could get the shot away and it went in the goal. Case closed.

No idea what the hell you’ve done to offend people so much, Dan, but good on you. And cheers for the laugh - I nearly burst when you put that away tonight ?

Jerome made a weird comment during the game where he basically said that they’d figured out Agyei and maybe that’s why he only comes on late in games. Which was ignoring that 1. He’s not been coming on in every game, or if so only for a derisory few minutes and 2. Later he was chopped down as he broke using his pace and won a free kick and a booking, so they clearly hadn’t ‘figured him out.’

I think that, as always in life, there is a backlash against the backlash, so there will be plenty of people hoping he fails.

It's more catching up on fitness, team structure and of course the move south.. He looked ok in the City game, but was prone to standing around rather than moving.

I'm not digging the kid out at all, but it seems a bit desperate for some fans to latch on to him without perhaps peeking behind the curtain and understanding there may be good reasons he's not played as much as they'd hope. And certainly, listening to KR talk about Agyei for the past few months has been interesting.

But we were proven right to be asking for him to come on in games...?

Last edited:
Well done to KR and the coaching staff for protecting Agyei from scrutiny and criticism from the stands and internet, whilst enabling him to develop, strengthen and improve behind the closed doors of the training ground.

His recent cameos have been a great success as he is eased into the first team.

Two seasons ago he made half a dozen League One starts for Walsall and one for Blackpool. Most of his appearances came from the bench.

We've a well respected coaching team, trusted with Woodburn, Holland, Browne and other young players of other teams, and with a track record of developing multi-million pound players.

It's known Agyei had an injury last year - the specifics of which isn't public knowledge. Sometimes it's best to be cautious and ensure the player has fully recovered and strengthened - something that can take months.

Credit to Agyei for catching the eye when he comes on and making a positive difference to the team - something MAPP asks of his subs.

It will turn out that we weren't, I'll bet.
Probably. Still far too many people failing to see that it isn’t about the kid being Maradona, just clearly and obviously not the worst option we have. Whether he and in turn we as a squad are good enough in the striking department is an entirely different debate. But right here, right now, and indeed for a good little while previous, Dan Agyei is not the least effective forward we have.

Had Mackie been available tonight he probably wouldn’t even have got a run out. Certainly not for a full 30 minutes, anyway. We all know what would’ve happened instead.

Anyway, always good to ruffle a few feathers, and equally as good to see one or two people who so often accuse others of not being real supporters, and of wanting things to go wrong, doing exactly that themselves by being so tetchy about Agyei turning it on. Classic.

Just back from the match.

Agyei scored, he won a header, he won free kicks, he got one of their players booked, he was technically sound and had a good first touch, he linked up play with our forward players, he looked strong, he had a presence, he scared the Burton defence.

He's almost as good as Henry Landers.

Nuff said.

He's almost as good as Henry Landers.
A very bold claim indeed

Not going to say anymore about Agyei, it should be blindly obvious what he brings to the table by now

I've been banging on for a while now that Dan should be getting a lot more game time. He's raw but strong and mobile and can get us moving up the pitch quickly. I'd start him and Taylor on Saturday. Be brave, Karl!

Back
Top Bottom