Current Player Dear Dan Agyei

Wallop

Dear Dan

It must be time for you to look for another club. If you can’t get game time when we’re 2-0 down against 10 men and the aged workhorse is brought on ahead of you, then I don’t think you have a future here.

Does Mackie have some compromising photos of Robbo? - it’s the only explanation I can see.

Yours

Wallop

OxfordUs20

Would be a shame if Agyei asks to leave in the summer...and I wouldn't blame him.
Does KR realise that as things stand, Agyei will be our only striker next season...and it would makes more sense to play and develop him rather than continue to play his "mate" Mackie or loanees just to get in the good books with Prem clubs.

yellowbow

Would be a shame if Agyei asks to leave in the summer...and I wouldn't blame him.
Does KR realise that as things stand, Agyei will be our only striker next season...and it would makes more sense to play and develop him rather than continue to play his "mate" Mackie or loanees just to get in the good books with Prem clubs.
As things stand I wouldnt be at all surprised if Mackie gets offered another 12 months. So its just as likely that he’ll be our only striker come August 😳😁

Oxfordstarlet

Just researching Dan Agyei's career statistics he has played 3 premier league matches against Liverpool, Manchester Utd and Everton. Additionally, prior to Dan joining Oxford he had played 43 League one matches with 8 league goals scored at Coventry City, Walsall and Blackpool. Karl Robinson's argument about Dan lacking experience is flawed as Dan already has vast experience within the league and has actually got more league 1 game experience then both Shandon Baptiste and Mark Sykes. We need to give the lad a chance and run of games to see what he can do.

These Youtube videos are really showing the ability Dan has in his game 😳

Carpy17

Just waiting for everyone to say this that and the other about how we don’t see X, Y and Z in training... what this argument fails to counter though is that it doesn’t matter what you do in training, it’s what you do in a competitive match. You could be the laziest piece of sh*t out Monday - Friday, but if you’re banging goals in on a Saturday, most clubs would snap you up no problems

From what I’ve seen so far, Agyei has produced more than enough on match days to deserve his opportunity ahead of Mackie

thegrumpyporter

KR and his team seem to have an issue if some sort. I don't get however what sending Dan Agyei out on loan would acheive, he spent most of his time at Burnley out on loan. He's here now for the rest of the season so why when the game seems already lost (against Peterborough) he would not be sent on above Jamie Mackie is a mystery to many fans I think.

HampshireYellow

I also think it’s funny when the standard ‘the management team knows best, they see the players behind the scenes etc, and I think they know a little bit more than us ignorant fans’ line is trotted out by the usual suspects. Whilst that may be true in some situations, it’s not a blanket argument - the manager isn’t some sort of omniscient god (despite what Scotchegg would have you think), he isn’t infallible, he can make mistakes. It doesn’t stand to reason that every decision they ever make must be correct because they know more than us. Otherwise how would managers ever get sacked?

oufc1991

The reality is agyei isn’t on the sort of promises Taylor or Mackie are on Taylor is on a big wage and on loan from Bristol city apparently we’re really lucky to have him Mackie is Robbo’s mate so he doesn’t want to offend him so agyei doesn’t have much chance at the moment I’m afraid i don’t really see what Mackie brings to the team he doesn’t offer a goal threat runs with led in his boots and it’s like we got 10 men when he plays .. Taylor has he really done what we all hoped he would he’s not really scoring the goals he was brought in to do ( rant over )

curransleftboot

You only had to see the difference he made when he came on against Newcastle to see that he is head and shoulders above Mackie. Agyei and should be playing at least 70 minutes with Mackie (if necessary) being brought on as sub for the last 20 mins, when his battleship approach might be of use in some games.

RyanioBirdio

Just waiting for everyone to say this that and the other about how we don’t see X, Y and Z in training... what this argument fails to counter though is that it doesn’t matter what you do in training, it’s what you do in a competitive match. You could be the laziest piece of sh*t out Monday - Friday, but if you’re banging goals in on a Saturday, most clubs would snap you up no problems

From what I’ve seen so far, Agyei has produced more than enough on match days to deserve his opportunity ahead of Mackie
Finally somebody has said it. I’ve been going mad sitting here and thinking to myself, “So hang on, if someone trains brilliantly and then never produces at all in a match situation, they’re doing their job?” That’s like saying someone doing really well in driving lessons is the important part, so it doesn’t matter that they’re always fluffing their test and therefore can’t get their license. It all comes down to those match situations, always, and Agyei has started to show he can offer us something positive and affect games. Sure, maybe he is raw, but I don’t think anyone is saying he’s definitely some sort of relentless, undercover goal machine in waiting. Although maybe he is - we’ve no way of knowing. What they are saying, increasingly, is that it’s incredibly peculiar that others aren’t performing and are barely offering anything, and yet they’re getting opportunity after opportunity, week after week, month after month, and this guy can’t even get off the bench for 10 minutes in a game we’re already 3-0 down in. Despite the fact that he helped turn the game against a PL side just four days earlier. He is our player - he has 2.5 years left on his contract and joined us from a Premier League side. He is exactly the sort of player we are supposed to be signing for ‘The Model’ and yet the poor sod can’t do anything. The frustrating part is that he will probably be given a start at some point, and unless he absolutely rips it up immediately both the manager and the apologists will use it to debunk anybody who ever called for him to get a chance. Mackie can score 2 goals in 35 games and we aren’t allowed to question that, and have to keep seeing him stomp about and giving him more chances, but I’m willing to bet that Dan Agyei could start two games in a row and unless he smashed in a brace it would be used as ‘proof’ that he isn’t good enough. It’s feeling less and less like a fair fight.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see him not even getting on the bench at Burton. Forde will come back into the 18 any game now and Hanson is also fit again, and looking at the rest of the bench from yesterday I have no idea who is realistically going to be bumped out to accommodate even one of them besides Agyei. If he’s on the verge of not even being able to sit on the bench, it’s a damn shame. I don’t know how little the other strikers have to do, or for how long, before we can see him just play a game or two.

HampshireYellow

The frustrating part is that he will probably be given a start at some point, and unless he absolutely rips it up immediately both the manager and the apologists will use it to debunk anybody who ever called for him to get a chance. Mackie can score 2 goals in 35 games and we aren’t allowed to question that, and have to keep seeing him stomp about and giving him more chances, but I’m willing to bet that Dan Agyei could start two games in a row and unless he smashed in a brace it would be used as ‘proof’ that he isn’t good enough. It’s feeling less and less like a fair fight.

This, this, this! I predict exactly this will happen, and it’s annoying how predictable (and unfair) it is that any start from Agyei which doesn’t produce goals and an 8+ performance will be used as ‘proof’ that we were wrong all along. I just hope the manager won’t stoop so low as to come out and say it.

RyanioBirdio

This, this, this! I predict exactly this will happen, and it’s annoying how predictable (and unfair) it is that any start from Agyei which doesn’t produce goals and an 8+ performance will be used as ‘proof’ that we were wrong all along. I just hope the manager won’t stoop so low as to come out and say it.
Well the only thing he said about Dan Agyei in his post match interview on Tuesday was that he “missed a sitter”, when not only was that untrue given Ritchie made probably the challenge of his career to throw himself in the way of it, but was also totally unfair seeing as it was his pace and power that not only pushed Newcastle back, but which outright won the free kick that we scored from when he was chopped down. Not only did he fail to offer any sort of slight praise for his genuine contribution, he actively chose to criticise him. It was mean spirited and unnecessary.

Anyway, on to Tuesday, when the next chapter of this fascinating tale is released.

Last edited:

Gary Baldi

Perhaps the role we are asking him to play at OUFC is different than the one he has played elsewhere? Or even he's catching up from a lack of pre-season.

oufc1991

Maybe like Hanson somebody else signed him and Robinson doesn’t want to play him he’s clearly better than Mackie offers more than both Mackie and Taylor imo would be a terrifying front three Browne agyei Holland all three could rotate in different positions we could drop Sykes back to play alongside Henry with Gorrin in the hole that would be creative and a reasonably quick team to play Tuesday

Manorlounger

I'm with @RyanioBirdio and @HampshireYellow on this. I have been impressed by Agyei's strength and speed each time he has managed a cameo spell on the pitch and always left me wanting to see more. When he failed to even make the bench against Blackpool and both Taylor and Mackie did, I was just astounded. He is fit, Taylor is/was not. In 26 appearances Mackie has scored twice. In 6 appearances Agyei has scored once. Not hugely telling stats but surely he deserves more than being a fringe player at best?

Last edited:

Thomas/Brock/Jones

Maybe like Hanson somebody else signed him and Robinson doesn’t want to play him he’s clearly better than Mackie offers more than both Mackie and Taylor imo would be a terrifying front three Browne agyei Holland all three could rotate in different positions we could drop Sykes back to play alongside Henry with Gorrin in the hole that would be creative and a reasonably quick team to play Tuesday
I have been quietly musing the same ...another player we have spent good money on yet doesn't seem to get the backing of Robbo