Data bits

So, with talk of Eastwood leaving I thought I'd have a look at his performance this season. Using Goal Conceded (per 90mins) and xG against (per 90mins) we can establish if a Goalkeeper has conceded more or less than would be expected from the quality of chances against him.

Bar shorter than dot = conceded less
Bar longer than dot = conceded more

2018/19

View attachment 1590

Eastwood conceded slightly above that of the chances against him. Eastwood hasn't been as strong as the previous season, but would now be a decent time to cash in if he has had a season where he hasn't been at his best?
Can you show last season compared to the previous 2-3 seasons? Was his season worse than previous ones?

To follow up with us being linked to Joe Day. He has conceded slightly less than Eastwood but has performed similarly.

As an aside, Peterborough with an analysis team picked up Christy Pym. Is 24, has outperfmed xG two consecutive seasons and was out of contract!

This is likewise with Tomas Holy who moved from Gillingham to Ipswich

Can you show last season compared to the previous 2-3 seasons? Was his season worse than previous ones?

Apparently the file is too large but have hosted it here: https://ibb.co/6bjYrpv

Eastwood in 2017/18 outperformed his xG, however was conceding 1.33 goals p90! (xG 1.47).

If nothing else, KR has made an impact on the defence for the better this season even if Eastwood hasn't performed to his previous heights

Plenty of talk around Henry and if he will remain. Is Sykes his replacement?

Reece Brown out of contract at Forest Green...double figures for goals and assists this season.

Someone will be picking up a decent player

Brown looks to be joining Huddersfield in the Championship.

Looks like Chris Cadden could be close to completion. An interesting one as he spent this season playing wing back (when he wasn't injured for 4 months).

What will we be getting? (have looked at previous season and this with some basic stuff)

The above is from 2017/18 when we reportedly made a 450k bid. With xA of 0.17 Cadden was in the top 20 of all players in the league and 5th for RW. Playing this season in an altered position has seen this numbers take a hit with 0.06 Assists P90 and 0.09 XA P90.

Interestingly other numbers haven't suffered from the change:

As a goal scoring threat, Cadden is very limited, irrespective of position. However, his passing has been consistent across the two seasons. Key passes (passes that lead to a shot, with assists removed) are some of the best in the league both this season and last.

For a KR winger, Cadden's crossing and dribble numbers are pretty low...certainly well below Whyte.

Depending on how we utilise Cadden we could see different sides to his game. If played on the RW he has the ability to create with final 3rd passes rather than crossing, however if we use him as a RWB (in place of Long) we will see a similar passing profile but from a deeper position.

With Cadden at RWB he possesses the qualities that I feel Long lacks. With our game based around the wingers, our primary plan is to feed them. If we were looking to upgrade Long then Cadden would certainly fit the mold in that regard...but how is Cadden defensively?

I feel we would have more to gain from Cadden at RWB, Whyte in front then Sykes/Henry playing #10.

Cadden joining adds some flexibility and will be a good passing player (creatively!) something we lack (aside from Henry).

Saw this on a different analysts Twitter account (sorry for being unfaithful, @Shosho)

Was this lad on your list of potential CB replacements for Nelson? If so, how does he stack up?

This is great stuff! This guy has coded everything, can pick out any player in minutes!

CBs are tough to analyse as they are so dependent on the team around them. Obviously playing in a decent team leads to fewer actions therefore become tough to analyse.

I haven't really looked into CBs but always rated Curtis Tilt, Edumndson seems highly rated with a few in the conference such as George Fowler and Daniel Jones. Manny Monthe was the standout league 2 defender last season but has just signed another contract with Tranmere (off the top of my head!). Will look into this further!

I don’t need to add any analysis on Alex Gorrin as these guys have it covered below.

Gorrin played best at Motherwell as part of 3 in midfield...which I suspect we will go to next season - 4-3-3. Brannagan, Gorrin, Baptiste/Sykes/Henry.

The more you look Henry’s position and time at the club looks under threat.

Anyway:

Pressures above - Gorrin is a destroyer! Better than Kashi plus better on the ball

I don’t need to add any analysis on Alex Gorrin as these guys have it covered below.

Gorrin played best at Motherwell as part of 3 in midfield...which I suspect we will go to next season - 4-3-3. Brannagan, Gorrin, Baptiste/Sykes/Henry.

The more you look Henry’s position and time at the club looks under threat.

Anyway:

Pressures above - Gorrin is a destroyer! Better than Kashi plus better on the ball

good work as usual. Gorrin the destroyer sounds like a Conan the barbarian sequal

good work as usual. Gorrin the destroyer sounds like a Conan the barbarian sequal

This is a comparison to Kashi! (Percentile refers to Kashi in comparison to all other CM in league 1). For example, Kashi is in the top 10% of the league for successful tackles P90, however in the bottom 20% for aerial duels won

I have to say, with Gorrin added to the midfield, Brannagan is going to have a big season for us.

• React
Reactions: MJB
This is a comparison to Kashi! (Percentile refers to Kashi in comparison to all other CM in league 1). For example, Kashi is in the top 10% of the league for successful tackles P90, however in the bottom 20% for aerial duels won

I have to say, with Gorrin added to the midfield, Brannagan is going to have a big season for us.

View attachment 1639

View attachment 1640

View attachment 1641
That's a very good point.
IF Gorrin ends up being a better version of Kashi, Brannagan could have a really influential season.
With Baptiste, Sykes and Henry potentially looking to vie for the third midfield spot, the midfield looks more or less done (Heap will also be looking to make an impression)

That's a very good point.
IF Gorrin ends up being a better version of Kashi, Brannagan could have a really influential season.
With Baptiste, Sykes and Henry potentially looking to vie for the third midfield spot, the midfield looks more or less done (Heap will also be looking to make an impression)

Even though Brannagan has played pretty defensive this (last?) season, he still sits in the top 30% of midfielders creatively:

Push him further forwards and I think he could break into the top 20/15%

This is great stuff! This guy has coded everything, can pick out any player in minutes!

CBs are tough to analyse as they are so dependent on the team around them. Obviously playing in a decent team leads to fewer actions therefore become tough to analyse.

I haven't really looked into CBs but always rated Curtis Tilt, Edumndson seems highly rated with a few in the conference such as George Fowler and Daniel Jones. Manny Monthe was the standout league 2 defender last season but has just signed another contract with Tranmere (off the top of my head!). Will look into this further!

Rangers sign Edmundson

Well, I guess he definitely was a highly rated prospect then!

Anybody know if Curtis Nelson was at the training session today? He is under contract to 30th June so presumably was required to turn up.

Anybody know if Curtis Nelson was at the training session today? He is under contract to 30th June so presumably was required to turn up.
Mmm I wonder what happens in these situations?
I assume that he didnt turn up and Nelson has confirmed that he is going elsewhere

Mmm I wonder what happens in these situations?
I assume that he didnt turn up and Nelson has confirmed that he is going elsewhere

Likewise as he is obviously going, I would assume for all concerned that as we are building for next season that he would stay away. I would assume this is standard practice as such goes unsaid.

Not everybody had to report back today. Sunday free and everybody in for Monday.
Except our 2 NI internationals, they are still on holiday.

Back
Top Bottom