Data bits

I suspect that it isn't easy!
Phil Thompson was on Sky the other day bemoaning how many PL players can't beat the first man on a corner.
With Division 3 players if you haven't a Levi. Brock it is not hugely surprising .
Shosho has shown stats suggesting that goals from corners are rare.
Doesn't mean that they shouldn't practice a lot. Something I assume that they do.
To be fair I was jesting a bit and agree that it's about our level. We do seem to defend corners fairly well that said. The delivery for our corners is a little hot and cold. Brannigan is capable excellent delivery, but not consistently.

Josh Ruffels is targeted at least 3 or 4 times a game as late runner in the box at corners. Teams focus on Dickie and Nelson so much that usually Ruffels has a free run on the ball - the only niggle is he needs to get the ball on target more.

Josh Ruffels is targeted at least 3 or 4 times a game as late runner in the box at corners. Teams focus on Dickie and Nelson so much that usually Ruffels has a free run on the ball - the only niggle is he needs to get the ball on target more.
To be fair so does Nelson.
He could easily have scored 4 or 5 this season.

Ha knew this would get mentioned!

2 decent goals today...the first, a cross from a far better position.

It sounds like KR worked on our crossing being more effective rather than just throwing in into the box which we have been doing, secondly getting our strikers into better areas for the cross.

All stuff I have criticised but worked today. Still think cut backs are a better strategy but can’t knock today’s second half

To be fair, I couldn't agree more, I just couldn't resist ;)

After the Fleetwood escape, Mackie spoke about beginning to work out when Graham was going to cross or go to the line and pull back, and that sounded like a step forward. Just doesn't seem to have borne fruit until someone's come to the club who's been told to get in the box and stay there.

And we won, so who cares :)

To be fair, I couldn't agree more, I just couldn't resist ;)

After the Fleetwood escape, Mackie spoke about beginning to work out when Graham was going to cross or go to the line and pull back, and that sounded like a step forward. Just doesn't seem to have borne fruit until someone's come to the club who's been told to get in the box and stay there.

And we won, so who cares :)

Pretty much! Don’t care how we pick up the points...as long as it happens! Did the Scunthorpe keep make any saves today!?

The bottom half of league 1 ?

Ha knew this would get mentioned!

2 decent goals today...the first, a cross from a far better position.

It sounds like KR worked on our crossing being more effective rather than just throwing in into the box which we have been doing, secondly getting our strikers into better areas for the cross.

All stuff I have criticised but worked today. Still think cut backs are a better strategy but can’t knock today’s second half
Yes it sounds like we have worked on Crosses and Sinclair was told to keep in the middle. Which seemed to work.
Graham' s crosses when he moved to the left caused them a lot more problems.

A little bored so having a play about with some dribbling data.

From a recruitment perspective, we will have a reasonable turn over this summer so a good opportunity add to the squad. KR had a bit of a nightmare through last summer and January, I wonder what the plan is this summer? Anyway, thinking how KR likes is teams to attack carrying the ball, thought it would be fun to look at those young players in league 1/2 under 24, with over 1000 minutes played (note: this is from wyscout and some of the data could be a little dodgy - Colclogh????):

Anyway, Marcus Browne pops up just under 5 successful dribbles P90 with Whyte just under 6 P90. Lameiras at just under 6.5 successful dribble P90 looks interesting along with Nathaniel-George and Senior.

Looking specifically at League 2:

This is pretty handy to visualise the ball carriers in the league, however you can pick a player and look further in depth (will maybe do this tomorrow if I have time)

From the numbers and further in depth you look you can use video/live scouting to fully assess the player.

The above is just a very quick crude way to highlight some names

The follow up to above. I have compared some of the chosen attackers above to all players that play LW/RW in both league 1 and 2, all players over 1000mins. As a result, we end up with a percentile rank to see how the youngsters above compare using data from across the tow leagues in the positions.

Courtney Senior:

Involved in the 3rd goal here:
Can clearly carry the ball and create. Contracted until 2020 and at 21 looks like he could move up the leagues.

Nathaniel-George:

Signed for Crawley from hendon after being released from Arsenal and coming through the Vardy academy. Not bad for a first pro season!

Callum Ainley
Blimey, this kid. 21 signed a 3 year contract until 2021, looks like it will take some ££££ to get him. Crewe have some serious talent in Ainley and Pickering. Ainley can get himself in goal scoring positions, create for others, and carry the ball

Ruben Lameiras

Finally one from league 1, however out of contract this summer. Took us apart down at Plymouth. At 24, not far off coming into his peak....Plymouth's lift coinciding with Lameiras getting a run of games after Christmas.

This isn't a definitive list, just a few names picked from the dribbling graphic however can start to look further in depth to compare across leagues and players. Players such as Ainley and Senior looking like they are performing at a higher level than league 2.

Think yesterday might have proved the value of pull backs. Unfortunately in a negative way, in that at least three times Graham could have, but didn't :(

Think yesterday might have proved the value of pull backs. Unfortunately in a negative way, in that at least three times Graham could have, but didn't :(

Watched the match in despair! Crossing in the air with a 6’9 keeper and wind? Graham has a majority of his crosses blocked.

Again, looks like we are doing some attacking when in reality it’s pretty ineffective. Will wait until tomorrow to have a proper look at the #numbers

Here we go then...a big week. Anything less than 2 wins vs Bradford and Rochdale and we are in some serious trouble. One thing for sure, going to Gillingham, a relegation rival and achieving a single shot on target wont get the job done.

Starting with the timeline...remove the Gillingham penalty (xG normally around 0.78) and we created the better open play chances. Sinclair with the best chance around 74mins. Much like vs Scunthorpe, we created nothing until around then. The chances around 30mins from a Garbutt header and Henry shot.

No Surprise that we created some of our best chances once Whyte was on the pitch....the same as Scunthorpe.

The shot map:

Scunthorpe highlighted you dont have to create loads of chances, you just need a few good quality ones. Sinclair scored twice in the 6 yard box vs Scunthorpe, he had a single blocked chance vs Gillingham. To add...we dont really help Sinclair, he had 15 aerial duels at the weekend, losing all of them. I thought Scunthorpe repersented a step forward with regards to crossing (a slight improvement in crossing locations) and what was being asked on Sinclair, however Gillingham was us reverting to the previous failed, lob the ball in the box and chuck the ball up to Sinclair!

On to my favourite....crossing. Yay! Another 23 crosses this match, 6 successful:

Im not sure whats being asked of our wingers. All those failed attempts. The more successful ones...those that are crossed in the box (Sykes cross vs Scunthorpe!). Only 2 successful crosses from outside the box.

Here is the total crosses in the league: (some high end excel use!)

We are mid table for attempted crosses....

Taking into account our 28% success rate (4th lowest in the league) that leaves us with (accurate crosses):

An initial look but some teams high up the league (Portsmouth, Barnsley, Sunderland) all cropping up with some struggling teams also (Wimbledon, Accrington, Walsall). Will look into what might separate them!

Is a failed cross due to a poor cross, or a poor attempt to wing the ball by the striker(s)? Who to blame?

Is a failed cross due to a poor cross, or a poor attempt to wing the ball by the striker(s)? Who to blame?

Could be a variety. The cross could be blocked, an attempt from a poor area, crossing in the air when you have a 6'9 keeper. Ultimately, as we saw vs Scunthorpe, if you create attempts in the six yard box, and cross from decent areas, then it can be a more viable tactic.

This is from the MLS: (https://twitter.com/JmooreQuakes)

Most crosses are blocked or cleared by the defending team

Here we go, another big match and another chance to mess about with a spreadsheet.

As stated in the opening post, we can use xG to view the implied chances of both scoring and conceding with each shot that is taken.

For example, Accrington. xG of all shots taken = 51.86
Actual goals scored = 35
Difference = around 16

As such, from the chances created Accrington 'should' have scored 16 more goals and as such are under performing.

On the flip, Peterborough and Sunderland have outperformed their expected chances.

Looking to Rochdale and Oxford this evening, Rochdale 'should' have 6 more goals, Oxford 5. Both teams lacking going forward (both around mid-table for chances created).

With regards to chances against, Rochdale have conceded 11 goals above that which would be expected...Oxford 7.

With tonight forecast conditions we have 2 teams that create but can't finish, who are both pretty poor at the back.

Interesting that it has been commonly accepted that our issues lie when attacking, when looking at xG against per shot, Oxford are second worst, behind Bradford.

As an aside, Rochdale have conceded 17 headed goals along with 13 from outside the box. I haven't watched the Rochdale keeper, however set pieces will obviously play a big role. I remember Browne taking the right back apart at home (McGahey? - think he is now at Scunthorpe).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-12 at 13.02.59.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-12 at 13.02.59.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom