Data bits

To update everyone on the Matty Taylor shot map after this weekend

5A04F766-CBF3-4416-A684-0A6DDB2D61E2.jpeg

rageonline found this about the match

A decent analysis! Interesting that Portsmouth used against us what we have been doing all season - high full backs = overloads when attacking. With Cadden out, plus the Ruffels injury when had to adapt.

Injury influenced how we set up - despite having 2 strikers we were a lot less creative than previous matches. I think KR got it right, setting up for the players we had available and taking the opposition into account.

Good to see some flexibility - until February we will be fighting for results and will probably a little less free flowing!

A broader distribution than I expected :). I thought we'd see everything overlapped where those 3 shots form a triangle on the 6yd line.

The six yard box though ?. Gets in to crazy good positions - so reliant on delivery from Cadden/Henry. Only one shot outside the 18 yard box ?

The follow up to above. I have compared some of the chosen attackers above to all players that play LW/RW in both league 1 and 2, all players over 1000mins. As a result, we end up with a percentile rank to see how the youngsters above compare using data from across the tow leagues in the positions.

Courtney Senior:

Involved in the 3rd goal here:
Can clearly carry the ball and create. Contracted until 2020 and at 21 looks like he could move up the leagues.

View attachment 1183

Nathaniel-George:

Signed for Crawley from hendon after being released from Arsenal and coming through the Vardy academy. Not bad for a first pro season!

View attachment 1184

Callum Ainley
Blimey, this kid. 21 signed a 3 year contract until 2021, looks like it will take some ££££ to get him. Crewe have some serious talent in Ainley and Pickering. Ainley can get himself in goal scoring positions, create for others, and carry the ball

View attachment 1185

Ruben Lameiras

Finally one from league 1, however out of contract this summer. Took us apart down at Plymouth. At 24, not far off coming into his peak....Plymouth's lift coinciding with Lameiras getting a run of games after Christmas.

View attachment 1186

This isn't a definitive list, just a few names picked from the dribbling graphic however can start to look further in depth to compare across leagues and players. Players such as Ainley and Senior looking like they are performing at a higher level than league 2.

KR just confirmed Oxford looked at Nathaniel-George in the summer ?

Hi fellow nerds.

I like to look at the games in a bit of detail. Especially when we win 4-0. It's a bt different from some of the more long-term, trend analysis here but maybe this is a home for a couple of graphs based on my own viewing.

I basically wanted to look at two things - when each team attacked, and where each team attacked - to see how it tallied with my own feel of the game. If anyone has any ideas on what I might usefully track, I'm all ears and will give it a try with one of the upcoming games.

Oxford - Breakdown of attacks by minute
1574608326576.png
Southend - Breakdown of attacks by minute
1574608315923.png
Oxford - breakdown of attacks by zone
1574608235582.png
Southend - breakdown of attacks by zone
1574608250981.png

Essentially, the possession stat looks meaningless. We dominated the first half and Southend sorted themselves out by the final quarter of an hour, but still failed to create anything too troubling. Indeed we may have been creating much less at this point, but the chances we had were good quality and let us finish the game off.

In terms of areas of the pitch, our goals all came up the middle from relatively direct moves. We also created good chances down the right, with Henry, Cadden and Sykes all involved in key moves. On the left things were much quieter - Fosu drifted inside during the second half and Ruffels rarely had the chance to threaten. Southend tried to attack their left flank - our right - with little joy.

Hi fellow nerds.

I like to look at the games in a bit of detail. Especially when we win 4-0. It's a bt different from some of the more long-term, trend analysis here but maybe this is a home for a couple of graphs based on my own viewing.

I basically wanted to look at two things - when each team attacked, and where each team attacked - to see how it tallied with my own feel of the game. If anyone has any ideas on what I might usefully track, I'm all ears and will give it a try with one of the upcoming games.

Oxford - Breakdown of attacks by minute
View attachment 2474
Southend - Breakdown of attacks by minute
View attachment 2473
Oxford - breakdown of attacks by zone
View attachment 2471
Southend - breakdown of attacks by zone
View attachment 2472

Essentially, the possession stat looks meaningless. We dominated the first half and Southend sorted themselves out by the final quarter of an hour, but still failed to create anything too troubling. Indeed we may have been creating much less at this point, but the chances we had were good quality and let us finish the game off.

In terms of areas of the pitch, our goals all came up the middle from relatively direct moves. We also created good chances down the right, with Henry, Cadden and Sykes all involved in key moves. On the left things were much quieter - Fosu drifted inside during the second half and Ruffels rarely had the chance to threaten. Southend tried to attack their left flank - our right - with little joy.

Love it!]

Highlights the importance of Henry and Cadden link up on the right. Is pretty clear thats crucial to our chance creation. I was away this weekend so missed Shrewsbury, however from taking a look Hall didnt look overly involved with Cadden's average position further back than normal. Whilst not creating loads, it looked like Fosu was involved more...albeit quite defensively!

For the data nerds... I would like to see the "heat map" for the Shrews midfield 9 !! Probably 8 yards either side of the halfway line is "hot" !!

Put this on twitter....all of the shots both Cadden and Henry have assisted so far this season.

Red = goal. Larger dot = better quality chance.

Sorting RB will be a big priority in January - it won't be as simple as playing Long instead

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 11.32.09.png

This isn't Oxford specific but I have been learning some programming - leading to the below using free Womens data:

Shot plots including xG
Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 12.58.56.png

Completed passes for players in specific matches:

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 11.53.10.png

Plus some other stuff - which I will hopefully be able to apply to Oxford to give more insight!

let see how it goes - might be interesting!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom