Data bits

As we seem to be linked to Fosu I thought I would look at how he compares to Graham, Browne and Whyte:

View attachment 1565

He certainly fits the blueprint for KR players!

Carries the ball well, is more of a goal threat than Whyte and Graham, whilst creating less.

At 23, this would be a great addition....could easily make some improvements and add value
I didnt realise he is only 23.
As you say looks a very good prospect and the type of player KR likes.
As he is from the South of Engkand and has played for KR before, you would hope that we have an advantage over Linciln and Rotherham (although the latter will be one of the favourites for promotion)

Niall Mason now signed for Peterborough.

Had a sexual assault charge against him but was performing incredibly well for Doncaster before hand.

Peterborough now signed Butler and Mason...both mention on here ;)

Continuing to look through possible midfield alternatives with Mousinho playing less of a role.

Criteria: 24 or under, plays in League 2, over 1000mins last season (this is all purely on numbers looking for players in a similar blue print to Mousinho. I haven't watched video, looked into contracts etc)

The Percentile rank is amongst all CMs Championship down to League 2 that played over 1000mins. Green highlights = in the top 25% in the metric compared to all midfielders.

Player 1 - Jordan Rossiter (Compared to Mousinho - https://ibb.co/6DMMLFW)

Not quite as stong defensively as Mousinho, however intercepts more so clearly defends on the front foot breaking up play. Also stronger on the ball without providing much creatively. Wonder if Ranger will be thinking about loaning Rossiter higher up the pyramid after being at Bury last season?

Player 2 - Steven Alzate (Compared to Mousinho - https://ibb.co/qd2BjLz)

Involved a lot defensively and is pretty successful...not so strong in the air, however ranks highly in all his passing accuracy and provides more of a creative threat in carrying the ball and passing into dangerous areas...0.23 assists P90!

Again, might be ready for a loan higher up.

Player 3 - Eoghan O'Connell (Compared to Mousinho - https://ibb.co/hH3m62K)

Probably the most similar to Mousinho in that he can play CB also...but blimey! Can carry the ball, can create dangerous passes successfully whilst defensively being impressive! A great age too! Not too many of O'Connell's age and profile lower down - 1 year left on his contract also

Continuing to look through possible midfield alternatives with Mousinho playing less of a role.

Criteria: 24 or under, plays in League 2, over 1000mins last season (this is all purely on numbers looking for players in a similar blue print to Mousinho. I haven't watched video, looked into contracts etc)

The Percentile rank is amongst all CMs Championship down to League 2 that played over 1000mins. Green highlights = in the top 25% in the metric compared to all midfielders.

Not quite as stong defensively as Mousinho, however intercepts more so clearly defends on the front foot breaking up play. Also stronger on the ball without providing much creatively. Wonder if Ranger will be thinking about loaning Rossiter higher up the pyramid after being at Bury last season?

View attachment 1575

Involved a lot defensively and is pretty successful...not so strong in the air, however ranks highly in all his passing accuracy and provides more of a creative threat in carrying the ball and passing into dangerous areas...0.23 assists P90!

View attachment 1576

Probably the most similar to Mousinho in that he can play CB also...but blimey! Can carry the ball, can create dangerous passes successfully whilst defensively being impressive! A great age too! Not too many of O'Connell's age and profile lower down - 1 year left on his contract also

View attachment 1577

Have you contacted the club with all this data?

Seriously impressive.

Have you contacted the club with all this data?

Seriously impressive.

Completely agree with this.

I'm sure they have access to a stats database which informs the scouting decisions of the recruitment team. But there's no harm in passing some of this along to the club and asking if it's of any use. You never know what might come from it!

Completely agree with this.

I'm sure they have access to a stats database which informs the scouting decisions of the recruitment team. But there's no harm in passing some of this along to the club and asking if it's of any use. You never know what might come from it!

Definitely, but I imagine where the recruitment team will be doing video work or actual active scouting, there'll always be thing missed. Especially where @Shosho may be looking at things from a different point of view.

View attachment 1575

View attachment 1576

View attachment 1577
This is very impressive. One thing it might not capture is speed? Kashi was strikingly quick in thought and passing, which made a big difference.

Definitely, but I imagine where the recruitment team will be doing video work or actual active scouting, there'll always be thing missed. Especially where @Shosho may be looking at things from a different point of view.

Cheers chaps!

This fits in to a wider scouting policy and doesn’t purely replace traditional scouting.

You can use the data to highlight players that fit desirable criteria for certain positions...can then actively scout/watch video etc.

In coming years this will become a big part of clubs...at the minute it’s an edge clubs can exploit. Not only find those players that are undervalued (Whyte/Sykes/Brannagan) but also help us make smart decisions on accepting bids (selling players for high value when they are over performing) and equally avoid us making costly mistakes (an extreme example being Sanchez to Man Utd).

It wouldn’t cost much in relative terms to set up an analysis team that could enable the club to break even/turn profit.

Peterborough are investing in this, Brentford is well established, Liverpool the most successful example but also Barnsley and Shrewsbury are interesting at our level!

Cheers chaps!

This fits in to a wider scouting policy and doesn’t purely replace traditional scouting.

You can use the data to highlight players that fit desirable criteria for certain positions...can then actively scout/watch video etc.

In coming years this will become a big part of clubs...at the minute it’s an edge clubs can exploit. Not only find those players that are undervalued (Whyte/Sykes/Brannagan) but also help us make smart decisions on accepting bids (selling players for high value when they are over performing) and equally avoid us making costly mistakes (an extreme example being Sanchez to Man Utd).

It wouldn’t cost much in relative terms to set up an analysis team that could enable the club to break even/turn profit.

Peterborough are investing in this, Brentford is well established, Liverpool the most successful example but also Barnsley and Shrewsbury are interesting at our level!

Which brings us back to the question... have you offered any of this data to the club?

You'll have plenty here who would endorse you!

This is very impressive. One thing it might not capture is speed? Kashi was strikingly quick in thought and passing, which made a big difference.

Yeah is a whole lot that you can establish from video and live scouting but this simply highlights those players that fit a profile *that KR might want*. I have no inside knowledge but we at least know we are looking for a Mousinho replacement!

Once you highlight players through numbers you can then see how they meet the eye test!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I’m happy to take that!

I went back and watched moneyball again last night. Partly driven by this and also a Sunderland fan/accountant who praised
Liverpool for having the right player in the right position.

When Ashton came in to OUFC the plan was to have two players for every position. Perhaps didn’t work out and we ended up with a different squad.

Something I put together on young League 2 strikers....

Bar exceeding the dot = overperfoming (e.g Sam Surridge)
Bar less than the dot = underperforming (e.g Azeez)

Considering we need a striker or two, who would you go for?

Something I put together on young League 2 strikers....

Bar exceeding the dot = overperfoming (e.g Sam Surridge)
Bar less than the dot = underperforming (e.g Azeez)

Considering we need a striker or two, who would you go for?
If Whyte ends up going to Forest, getting Tyler Walker (on top of a decent fee of course!) in return could be decent business

So, with talk of Eastwood leaving I thought I'd have a look at his performance this season. Using Goal Conceded (per 90mins) and xG against (per 90mins) we can establish if a Goalkeeper has conceded more or less than would be expected from the quality of chances against him.

Bar shorter than dot = conceded less
Bar longer than dot = conceded more

2018/19

Eastwood conceded slightly above that of the chances against him. Eastwood hasn't been as strong as the previous season, but would now be a decent time to cash in if he has had a season where he hasn't been at his best?

Back
Top Bottom