Data bits

If it was a straight choice, I would be taking Browne all day. Is a goal threat and creates. At the minute, Graham does one of these...does he have the ability to be a goal threat also?

KR speaking of getting Browne permanently...not sure if this is possible but we should be perusing it if it is an option
From the stats perspective, with Whyte being our player, I'd want Graham to come in to complement what he brings opposite Whyte and offer variety out wide. Whyte's biggest area of improvement is end product, but being a full pro for such a short time, he has plenty of room to develop. This would concur with the managers desire to have the main striker staying between the goal posts more often than not.

Of course, if Henry moves on, it's possible we can have all 3 and play Browne more centrally.

Very good stats for Sam Long.

Yeah he’s made a massive impact on the defence. Shame he / we had to endure Norman, McMahon and Hanson for him to get a chance. I was raging at some of our terrible defending earlier in the season. And Long was sat there patiently waiting for his chance all along! Fair play to him for taking his chance.
It takes the pressure off of Nelson and Dickie having good full backs.

Yeah he’s made a massive impact on the defence. Shame he / we had to endure Norman, McMahon and Hanson for him to get a chance. I was raging at some of our terrible defending earlier in the season. And Long was sat there patiently waiting for his chance all along! Fair play to him for taking his chance.
It takes the pressure off of Nelson and Dickie having good full backs.
TBF McMahon had personal issues and apparently has been one of Scunny's best players since he has been there.
But yes, well done to Long for taking his chance and as you say the defence has really improved since he has come in.

Brilliant work @Shosho , great posts.

I suspect for all our hand-wringing about squad depth this season we may well look back in years to come and think how fortunate we were to have a squad with the varied high-quality talents of Whyte, Graham, Browne and Garrett available on the wing. Easily the best options we've had with wide players at the club in years. Even in 15-16 we only really had one out-and-out winger in COD, iirc (I suppose Macca too but don't think he is or was at the standard of any of our current crop).

TBF McMahon had personal issues and apparently has been one of Scunny's best players since he has been there.
But yes, well done to Long for taking his chance and as you say the defence has really improved since he has come in.

Yeah I wonder what they were?

Brilliant work @Shosho , great posts.

I suspect for all our hand-wringing about squad depth this season we may well look back in years to come and think how fortunate we were to have a squad with the varied high-quality talents of Whyte, Graham, Browne and Garrett available on the wing. Easily the best options we've had with wide players at the club in years. Even in 15-16 we only really had one out-and-out winger in COD, iirc (I suppose Macca too but don't think he is or was at the standard of any of our current crop).

Robinson loves to play with pace on the wings and will certainly look to continue this into next season. The one area we lack in, not sure if its the limitations of the players or the way they are being asked to play is simply end product.

Whyte/Graham/Browne are all very good at carrying the ball...Graham completing around 10 dribbles P90! However, its only really Browne that carries a goal threat (having shots) whilst creating to a similar level to Graham and Whyte. Garbutt certainly has his place and provides a different option on the wing.

Noticeably vs Charlton we only had 12 crosses....for quite a while we have been well over 20 per match. In the last few weeks we've certainly struck a good balance out wide (I'm undecided on Graham - maybe he needs a pre-season, some love - or maybe its just coaching he requires?)

Robinson loves to play with pace on the wings and will certainly look to continue this into next season. The one area we lack in, not sure if its the limitations of the players or the way they are being asked to play is simply end product.

Whyte/Graham/Browne are all very good at carrying the ball...Graham completing around 10 dribbles P90! However, its only really Browne that carries a goal threat (having shots) whilst creating to a similar level to Graham and Whyte. Garbutt certainly has his place and provides a different option on the wing.

Noticeably vs Charlton we only had 12 crosses....for quite a while we have been well over 20 per match. In the last few weeks we've certainly struck a good balance out wide (I'm undecided on Graham - maybe he needs a pre-season, some love - or maybe its just coaching he requires?)

With Jordan Graham, I hope we persevere with him as he clearly has so much potential and try to get next season. He also clearly likes to stay wide unlike Browne but I will say it is noticeable that both often end up having 2 players effectively marking them from what I've seen in the home games, so this does leave space for others to exploit.

I would be happy if we could get both Jordan Graham and Marcus Browne for next season as along with Gavin Whyte they all provide a different type of threat for the opposition to face. And they have all had a key impact in different games that have contributed to our fine run of form. It would help in maintaining a momentum into next season imo.

With Jordan Graham, I hope we persevere with him as he clearly has so much potential and try to get next season. He also clearly likes to stay wide unlike Browne but I will say it is noticeable that both often end up having 2 players effectively marking them from what I've seen in the home games, so this does leave space for others to exploit.

I would be happy if we could get both Jordan Graham and Marcus Browne for next season as along with Gavin Whyte they all provide a different type of threat for the opposition to face. And they have all had a key impact in different games that have contributed to our fine run of form. It would help in maintaining a momentum into next season imo.
And, based on what we witnessed on Friday, Sykes is a pretty good understudy when not playing the attacking mid or number 10 role.

Plenty of talk around Henry and if he will remain. Is Sykes his replacement?

Reece Brown out of contract at Forest Green...double figures for goals and assists this season.

Someone will be picking up a decent player

Nearing the end of the season, so not sure where this thread will end up...maybe on a recruitment focus? Looking at talents in the lower leagues during the off season? Who knows!

Anyway, the last 2 matches have highlighted the quality of chances being of importance (also coinciding with some of our lowest crossing totals?).

No doubt dropping to 10 men had an affect on our playing style, however only 4 crosses yesterday vs Shrewsbury.

Our shot map vs Shrewsbury:

Vs Charlton:

Create chances in the box and we will score....we have cut out much of the long range stuff (for the time being!).

We have a decision to make in the summer as to how we primarily create. Robinson likes pace on the wings however the productivity has been slightly lacking (as in a previous post looking at our wide players).

Im please that Whyte bagged a hat trick yesterday...just as I highlighted his finishing as being the main area to improve through the summer!

Maybe up front is a future position for him?

2019 League One Table

We're currently 5th in the 'calendar year' table which, while it doesn't count for anything, is nice to see.

Anyone who is squeamish shouldn't look at last year's though:

2018 League One Table

2nd bottom of teams who played all 46 games across both campaigns, and Luton got a point more from the first half of this season than we did for all of 2018.

Having a bit of fun messing about looking at young CBs - all under 24 >1000mins, preferably left sided (to hypothetically replace Nelson - assuming Dickie moves back to the right)....loads of assumptions! Fun anyway! (caveat - I havent watched any video, this is purely selcting some metrics and seeing if anything stands out - CBs are tough to analyse as its so dependent on team style).

Dominating CBs - Dominates in the air and on the ground:

There appears to be a trend of smart clubs using Defensive duels >30% as an indictor of quality.

If we filter it down to those that have played LCB:

Manny Monthe of Tranmere stands out top right, however we have a raft of players around 30% of defensive duels won, with Kelleher dominating in the air also. Daniel Happe of Orient, only 20 also looks a prospect.

Aside from dominating we probably need someone handy on the ball, so to look at those that play LCB, dominate on the floor but can also distribute:

Kelleher once again around 72% on pass completion, however George Fowler of Aldershot jumps out.

George Edmundson has been linked with Preston (Scunthorpe bid 200k in January!), however by these metrics there looks to be other young players that both dominate and distribute to a level similar or above.

The above highlights some good young talent along with Maguire, Mellish, and Jones, all involved with England C.

It could be, that Kelleher has the quality to fill the LCB role. He dominates in the air and on the floor, plus fairly solid with his passing.

It could be, that Kelleher has the quality to fill the LCB role. He dominates in the air and on the floor, plus fairly solid with his passing.
Thanks for the analysis, always interesting to read and appreciate the effort to produce it. With regards to Kelleher, I know they're only stats but based off them surely he deserves a decent chance over preseason and maybe then into next season. When the season's finished I'll visit the macc forum to ask their opinion on him (think they're preoccupied on L2 survival at the moment!)

Thanks for the analysis, always interesting to read and appreciate the effort to produce it. With regards to Kelleher, I know they're only stats but based off them surely he deserves a decent chance over preseason and maybe then into next season. When the season's finished I'll visit the macc forum to ask their opinion on him (think they're preoccupied on L2 survival at the moment!)
I did read that Macclesfield supporters weren't hugely impressed.
I guess that the club will have watched him a lot and we will find out when the released list is announced in a couple of weeks?

Back
Top Bottom