D-Day 75

My father had the misfortune of being involved. Having gone over on the 5th June with his comrades he helped laid the foundations for the 150000 invading troops the following day.
I heard this week that the first person to lose his life in Normandy came from Oxford.
My father always maintained an admiration for Rommel.Not a member of the Nazi party and a much revered Field Marshall who lost his life to a cyanide pill because of his perceived involvement in an assassination attempt on Hitler.
I would love to visit those beaches in Normandy.
Anyone see the 95 year old parachute in Normandy? Very touching

Although originally from London, Howard was a pre-war police officer in Oxford, and maintained his association with the City all his life.
I have a book on Pegasus Bridge and its attack signed by his wife and given to their GP as a thank you. Purchased it from the Oxfam bookshop in St Giles.

My father had the misfortune of being involved. Having gone over on the 5th June with his comrades he helped laid the foundations for the 150000 invading troops the following day.
I heard this week that the first person to lose his life in Normandy came from Oxford.
My father always maintained an admiration for Rommel.Not a member of the Nazi party and a much revered Field Marshall who lost his life to a cyanide pill because of his perceived involvement in an assassination attempt on Hitler.
I would love to visit those beaches in Normandy.
Anyone see the 95 year old parachute in Normandy? Very touching
My father served in North Africa and Italy whilst my father-in-law went in on D-day plus 2 as a member of the the Black Watch.

My father saw action in Burma and Borneo. He loathed the Japanese. I had a read of the late Arthur Titheringtons book. It recalled his time in a Japanese POW camp. Very interesting read. I spoke to him before he passed away a few years ago. Very interesting man indeed.
Also was privileged to meet the late Nicky Winton twice. He saved nearly 700 children from death camps. Such a modest man who changed my views on life, and puts all of today’s career politicians to shame

The extended version of this interview will bring a tear to the eye of the coldest heart. Even the clip here is one to think upon

Back
Top Bottom