Local News Cyclists in Oxford -accident/ incident/ dangerous road stats

Sarge

God like member
Oxford Mail recent study into the accident rate/ incident rates involving Cyclists in Oxford - ( the limited to 20mph Banbury road has a high 'hit' rate ) ... the comments below this online OM piece are (as per) worth a read too.... Question is, is it the actual roads that are dangerous, or is it those who use them ?

I've seen some shocking behaviour by cyclists on the Cowley Road over the years, the amount of bikes on that road after dark with no lights on never ceases to amaze. The problem certainly isn't just a motorist issue.

The problem with that article which kind of makes it pointless is there isn't the corresponding estimates of number of cyclists on the corresponding roads.

People no longer evolve as a road user.
It used to be walk - cycle - moped - car (if you were lucky).
Now it is from XBox death racer straight to high spec car on mummy & daddy`s fronted insurance.

<retires to comfy chair with pipe & slippers>

I've seen some shocking behaviour by cyclists on the Cowley Road over the years, the amount of bikes on that road after dark with no lights on never ceases to amaze. The problem certainly isn't just a motorist issue.
Meh, I'm a cyclist and a motorist.
Those people you describe are dickheads on bikes. Fortunately they haven't got a tonne of metal wrapped around them causing danger to other vulnerable road users due to their impatience and contempt toward any road user who choses to use an alternative form of transport to them.

Whilst your point is accurate, and I'm sure not intending to be victim blaming, I feel the most important people to educate here are the car drivers who pick up their license in their 17th year of life on this planet and drive around in their bubble with no experience of any other mode of transport! You can really tell when you are being overtaken by a motorist who rides bikes because they are patient and give you plenty of room.

Let's give a little for the cyclist who at the end of the day has committed the crime of riding on a well lit Cowley Road rather than adding to the congestion car drivers are happy to sit in so long as it's caused by other cars and not a cyclist delaying them for 10-15 seconds.

Attachments

• muenster_poster.jpg
    muenster_poster.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 13
Meh, I'm a cyclist and a motorist.
Those people you describe are dickheads on bikes. Fortunately they haven't got a tonne of metal wrapped around them causing danger to other vulnerable road users due to their impatience and contempt toward any road user who choses to use an alternative form of transport to them.

Whilst your point is accurate, and I'm sure not intending to be victim blaming, I feel the most important people to educate here are the car drivers who pick up their license in their 17th year of life on this planet and drive around in their bubble with no experience of any other mode of transport! You can really tell when you are being overtaken by a motorist who rides bikes because they are patient and give you plenty of room.

Let's give a little for the cyclist who at the end of the day has committed the crime of riding on a well lit Cowley Road rather than adding to the congestion car drivers are happy to sit in so long as it's caused by other cars and not a cyclist delaying them for 10-15 seconds.
Don't get me wrong, not saying all cyclists are at fault because that plainly isn't true, but there is something about that road in particular from my experience. There are certainly enough dickheads in cars.

It doesn't matter if a road is well lit or not, if it's dark, you have lights on.

Back
Top Bottom