CWC19: England V Australia

Sarge

God like member
10.30 am Edgebastton ... 2 nd semi final ... will this'ashes warm up' need a reserve day to decide who goes through to the final?

Hopefully the weather will stay clear for this one, and they won’t require the extra day. I think Edgbaston suits England more, and with the shorter boundary on one side runs can come thick and fast for both sides. I do favour England without being biased, because we have a longer and stronger batting line up. We will need to bowl well in particular, and field a lot better. I would like to see Buttler higher up the order, rather than coming in late with just the bowlers to bat with. I think whoever wins this game will obviously be favourites to lift the trophy. Enormous pressure on England today, especially now India are out. Hope they put in a real performance today, and get to the final to play New Zealand. It should be a great game of cricket!

I think that the key thing will be whether Roy and Bairstow (and maybe Root) can see off the opening bowlers particularly Starc.
It could be a cracker.

My prediction is a day looking at CricInfo whilst pretending to work, going to be a long day. We can do this, ignore the whole 'England semi final failure' thing, we've got to win one at some point, so make it today.

The toss will key today, but for England, it's making sure they don't allow Starc (if fit) to make in roads early. And for England, it's get into Finch, Warner and Smith, because outside of Carey, the batting is not so hot.

If your at work put it on silent and watch on crictime. Good picture and in English commentary, but does have a lot of Indian adverts between overs. I use it all the time. ?

It’s going to be a nervous day, isn’t it? Headphones in at my desk at work and sporadic checks to the score all day.

It’ll be interesting. England are going full Aussie on this with a big of swagger and confident statements about being favourites. The Aussies, oddly for them, have been a lot more understated whilst wandering around barefoot on the Edgbaston turf.

Will Starc be fit and at his best? Will Wade and Handscomb come in and how will they cope? I’ve been impressed with the resilience of the Aussies. When it has seemed as though they’ve had their backs to the wall, they’ve found an answer (barring their defeats to India and South Africa) – fought back against the Windies, broke important partnerships against Sri Lanka and so on. Warner, Finch, Smith and I throw in Carey too have been impressive this tournament. England will have to be at their best to win today as I think this’ll be lower scoring than people make out.

Excited? You bet I am!

Quite like the fact we’re chasing. Although the pattern in this World Cup suggests batting first more often than not wins games.

We need the bowlers to step up here, and bowl very well. I’d feel happy chasing 285 - 300.

Hopefully a bit of movement early, and we don't fall into the typical English trap of bowling too short. Couple of early wickets please. Preferably Finch and Warner the cheat.

The general view is that Aus will try to post a score (around 280) and they are excellent at defending a score.
I guess that Warner and Finch will try and build a decent score in the 'old fashioned ' way!
Come on Woakes and Archer!

So we’ll have to chase in a World Cup where chases have fallen short.

It makes it that but tougher. Character building you could say!

NB. We chased in 2017 against the Aussies at Edgbaston in the Champions Trophy. Got to do that again.

Great start this. Massive wicket, because Warner has been in solid form. England couldn’t of asked for a better start.

Now get Smith out!

Back
Top Bottom