CWC 19: England v South Africa - Match thread

Englands fielding has been fantastic. Far better than SAs was.

8 down for 193 with Plunkett getting a 2nd.

Edit: what a stunning catch by Stokes. His fielding has been top notch.

Great start to the tournament. Being England cricket fans, of course we all felt edgy, that will help settle the nerves ?

So, a 104 run win it is.

Although they're ranked #3, by my reckoning South Africa are coming into the tournament as about the 5th or 6th best team (behind us, the Aussies, India, New Zealand and maybe the Windies).

But for us to just demolish them like that on a day when our batting didn't fire like it can is very impressive.

I was very confident we'd make the semis before the tournament started. I'm even more confident now.

All over SA all out for 207

gotta say was concerned 311 wouldnt be enough, happy to be well n truly proven wrong

great start to Cricket world cup by England

So, a 104 run win it is.

Although they're ranked #3, by my reckoning South Africa are coming into the tournament as about the 5th or 6th best team (behind us, the Aussies, India, New Zealand and maybe the Windies).

But for us to just demolish them like that on a day when our batting didn't fire like it can is very impressive.

I was very confident we'd make the semis before the tournament started. I'm even more confident now.

South Africa are like the Windies for me, on their day can be unplayable.

SA are unbalanced as they lack all rounders unlike us as Woakes, Rashid, Plunkett, Curran, Archer etc can all bat as well. They have an impressive bowling attack if they can select them all but if they do then the batting becomes really tailender heavy

Out of curiosity - I haven't watched many England One Days recently.

How long as Joe Root been wearing 66 as his number? Root 66. Hil-arious.
:ROFLMAO:
For a few years now I think, can't remember him wearing anything else tbh.

The match today had a similar feeling to the Ashes in 2005. This players just compliment each other so well - SA had bits and pieces players and 30 year old players in with 10 caps in their team - and the depth is there such that not every player needs to play well for England to win. Barring Archer, England's team has played a good amount of games and it shows.

Speaking of Archer. The kid just has it. Vats of it.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Out of curiosity - I haven't watched many England One Days recently.

How long as Joe Root been wearing 66 as his number? Root 66. Hil-arious.
:ROFLMAO:

Had never got this until you mentioned it!

Speaking of Archer. The kid just has it. Vats of it.

Big question for me - and this shows up my cricketing biases, but what the hell - is can he do it in the Test team?

We've been crying out for a real pace bowler, especially away from home. Well, now we seem to have found one.....but he's only ever played 28 first class matches. Can he keep up that pace and hostility for 15-20 overs over a whole day?

The rest of our seamers will be effective in English conditions, so he may not be absolutely vital in the Ashes. But it's hard to imagine us winning in South Africa without him (or someone like him.....and I don't think we have anyone else like him!)

One thing that they said on 5L I think was that Wood finds it galling that to get to 90 MPH he has to put un a whole load of effort whereas Archer runs in and it all looks effortless.
This should hopefully keep Archers injuries down touch wood and mean that he should be able to bowl the 15 to 20 overs in Test Cricket. I assume that we will find out in the Ashes!

No mention of Morgan in this thread? A very switched on captain. Fielding was two divisions above the Saffers as well. You’re not going to win anything with relative geriatrics like Amla plodding around in the deep. And Stokes is a star.

Back
Top Bottom