CWC 19: England v South Africa - Match thread

Big question for me - and this shows up my cricketing biases, but what the hell - is can he do it in the Test team?

We've been crying out for a real pace bowler, especially away from home. Well, now we seem to have found one.....but he's only ever played 28 first class matches. Can he keep up that pace and hostility for 15-20 overs over a whole day?

The rest of our seamers will be effective in English conditions, so he may not be absolutely vital in the Ashes. But it's hard to imagine us winning in South Africa without him (or someone like him.....and I don't think we have anyone else like him!)
4 day Ireland test in July is the perfect place to try him out.

Big question for me - and this shows up my cricketing biases, but what the hell - is can he do it in the Test team?

We've been crying out for a real pace bowler, especially away from home. Well, now we seem to have found one.....but he's only ever played 28 first class matches. Can he keep up that pace and hostility for 15-20 overs over a whole day?

The rest of our seamers will be effective in English conditions, so he may not be absolutely vital in the Ashes. But it's hard to imagine us winning in South Africa without him (or someone like him.....and I don't think we have anyone else like him!)
I think Archer can, but his T20 global workload means he will need to be managed very closely. Best bet for the Ashes is he plays in 3 of the 5 tests so that he doesn't burn out, with Wood playing the other tests, depending on his fitness. For the Aussies to face their own music will be key to winning.

I think he could manage it. He's young and naturally fit, a bit like Michael Holding was.
Bowl him in short bursts of 4/5 overs with a good hour between and field him 'out of the way' and he'll bo ok. Wood couldn't manage it because to generate that much pace he puts his body under a terrific amount of stress. A very good pace back up though.

Apparently Mark Wood is struggling to understand how Archer generate so much pace from just ambling up to the crease, where he has to put all the effort he has into doing it.

Back
Top Bottom