Ex Player Curtis Nelson

The real crime is how he wasn't offered another contract when he had 18 months remaining...

With 18 months of his contract remaining (December 2017) he was still in a cast, one month into a six-month layoff for a season-ending injury. Without hindsight, would you seriously have slapped down a long contract in front of him then?

Had a good first season.
Injury plagued second season.
Bang average third season.

He's a good player but definitely replaceable. Plus the guy is a t**t so..

Talk is Appleton to QPR. If he doesn’t hit the ground running he won’t last long there

Surely, with the current financial state of the Club, we are looking at a back four next year of Ruffels, Kelleher, Dickie and Long?
Good enough for mid-table but leaves us with no obvious back-ups apart from Michael Elechi and Nico Jones, who are probably still two years away from L1 level.
I'm not sure that is right.
I would be very surprised if there isn't an attempt to replace Nelson with an experienced player.
We have to take a years option for Kelkeher? May be good back up if deemed league 1 standard.

Nelson has been in brilliant form over the second half of the season and he's been absolutely key to our improved results. He's not irreplaceable but other than Eastwood he's the most important player in the team, and therefore needs to be replaced adequately by someone of a similar style (I really don't think Dickie and Kelleher playing alongside each other would be a good idea. Dickie needs a sweeper with a bit more pace/agility as a CB partner so that he can attack the ball).

I won't hold any grudges against him when he inevitably moves on in the summer. He knows all too well how easily a serious injury could derail his career. I could see him ending up somewhere like Notts Forrest.

Would love to be able to retain Nelson, but it seems like he’s off to the Championship.

Honestly think we would be in the bottom 4 if he had gone in January.

He’s off in the Summer and fair enough. He’s been a good servant to the club.

Hes a good player but he makes plenty of mistakes that people dont often see.Would like to keep him but I think we can get someone as good on less money.

Hes a good player but he makes plenty of mistakes that people dont often see.Would like to keep him but I think we can get someone as good on less money.

If so, I haven’t seen one for years.

Ridiculous!
The guy has proven quality.
Show me a defender who doesn’t make mistakes? Whoever they are?
No, a ball carrying centre-back like Curtis Nelson will be difficult to replace.

Got to love the people saying we can do better! What planet are these people on?!
Agree. All of the average CBs we have had over the years.
Maybe we will pull a rabbit out of the hat but Nelson will not be easy to replace.

With 18 months of his contract remaining (December 2017) he was still in a cast, one month into a six-month layoff for a season-ending injury. Without hindsight, would you seriously have slapped down a long contract in front of him then?

Not a 'long' contract no, but I'd argue that would have been the perfect time to tack another year on

Mmm not quite as simple as that.
It seems clear that the club have regularly been trying to get him to sign a new deal.
The difficulty was that he had a nasty injury at the end of last season. I doubt if this helped us get top dollar for him.
There was no way that we could afford to let him go at Christmas as in all likelihood we would have been relegated.

So Dickie. Do we sell him in the summer to get money for him as well as Nelson going if Dickie refuses to sign an extension?

1. Do you know when the club offered him a new deal? How much? Unless you have inside information, nothing is 'clear'
2. The injury could have been an opportunity to get him to extend his contract for another year
3. We could have brought in another player using the fee, and freed up wages, so it wouldn't have been a case of being a centre back down
4. Dickie isn't as good a player with as much potential as Nelson. But yes, if he only has a year left, makes it clear that he will not sign a new contract no matter what, and a club comes in with a decent bid I would sell him - wouldn't you?

There have been numerous comments from the club about zelson and his contract
1. Do you know when the club offered him a new deal? How much? Unless you have inside information, nothing is 'clear'
2. The injury could have been an opportunity to get him to extend his contract for another year
3. We could have brought in another player using the fee, and freed up wages, so it wouldn't have been a case of being a centre back down
4. Dickie isn't as good a player with as much potential as Nelson. But yes, if he only has a year left, makes it clear that he will not sign a new contract no matter what, and a club comes in with a decent bid I would sell him - wouldn't you?
Oh come on. You suggested it a 'crime' to have not offered him a new contract.
It is clear he has had offered a new contract. FFS he was stripped of the captaincy for not signing one!
Nothing is more clear m Ri inson also suggested a number of times that he was negotiating with Nelson.
So to suggest that it was a crime to have not offered him a new contract in my view was well off the mark.

Back
Top Bottom