Current Squad - Keep or Let Go

York-Yellow

Let's imagine we all had a deck of football stickers with our current squad in front of us. You have to filter the stickers into two piles; 'Keep' and 'Let Go', knowing that the more players in the latter will free up money and wages to sign replacements in August. Let's forget about current contracts for the sake of this.

The reason I'm posting this, is because a couple of years ago - I think I would have retained a majority of the squad. Not so much anymore! I feel that we need a complete refresh - with the lack of work ethic, passion, leadership and attacking threat being my main concerns.

Keep
Eastwood
- The best keeper we have had for a long time.
Nelson - Great young defender with plenty of experience behind him.
Hall - Inconsistent, but shines every now and then - and is a more traditional winger. He does take people on.
Ledson - Solid ball winning central midfielder at this level.
Mousinho - Many may not agree, but based on his experience - I think he's definitely worth keeping as a versatile squad player.
Raglan - I see Raglan as a solid 3rd or 4th CB, and he has proved his worth.
Ruffels - Great season last year, and deserves a chance to rediscover that form.
Napa - Has looked decent in his limited time on the pitch. Hopefully one for the future.
Mowatt (Loan) - Absolute gamble. He has shown glimpses of class that you'd expect of a championship player. If he finds some consistency, then I would keep him (if possible!).

Let Go
Thomas
- Although he is a good poacher, I still think there are better options out there who are more prolific, with a better all round game.
Obika - I feel he has the potential to shift himself into the 'Keep' pile, but hasn't shown enough thus far this season.
Hemmings - I still feel he could have had a 20+ season in L1 with the right supply, but I think you would have to build a team around him to achieve that.
Henry - He is a good footballer, but can be very frustrating to watch. He has a good game 1 in 3 or 4, and as a winger/wide player - very rarely takes players on.
Williamson - Great start to the season, but tailed off - making some mistakes and probably feeling the effects of ageing.
Martin - He'll end up in L2, or lower when he leaves Oxford.
Tiendalli - Concerns over fitness, positioning, and regularly seems to make mistakes. Not a fans favourite. Replace him with someone in the 'Baldock' mould.
Mehmeti - Maybe harsh to judge so early, but just hasn't looked like the type of player that will concern L1 defenders.
Xemi - The buzz around Xemi died quite quickly after his first few appearances. It's a shame, but I don't think he'll get enough game time to prove doubters (like me) wrong.
Ricardinho - The early signs were very exciting! - He's getting on a bit, and I'd rather we got hold of a young and aspiring wing back.
Rothwell - This guy has the potential to play blinders, but I don't think he's going to have a big enough impact consistently on L1 matches. Having said that, I do think given a run of games, he could push himself to folks' 'Keep' piles.
van Kessel (loan) - The arrogance the guy showed in his first few interviews was incredible - so much so that I (and probably he) thought he was going to score 48 goals this year. This chap won't be signing for £800-900k in the summer...!
Roberts - It's a shame it hasn't worked out, but I think he should head to a conference team and play regular football. If he cracks that, he'll be back in the football league.
Carroll - A tough one, because I like the chap - but MApp thought he'd end up being a defensive midfielder, and I agree that he would be better suited there. He's never going to be a marauding full back, and technique can often let him down. I think he'll end up in L2/Conference (not with us...).

Too early to judge:
Brannagan
- Please god, be good.
Pekalski - I honestly don't think even Pep knows how good this guy is.
Dickie - Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get much of a shot, but I hope he does!
Buckley-Ricketts (Loan) - TBC

IMO it's all relative depending on who you would bring in. Given a 22 man squad (including some of the four keepers, three of which you haven't even listed, neither Kelleher, Long, Ashby and Baptiste), you're after keeping just 9. Meaning what...13 or more new players? Fantastic!

• React
Reactions: Ian
Can’t really argue with much of the opening post but would probably swap Mous with Rothwell.

Would keep Carroll and Rothwell. People forget Canice is only 18 and being asked to play a position he only started playing nearly a year ago now. I believe with time to develop he'll become an important player to this club.

Keep rothwell over mowatt. 1/ he’s actually our player 2/ he’s better.

So of the let go’s could be difficult. I think Henry is on a 3 year deal.

• React
Reactions: ljs
Keep rothwell over mowatt. 1/ he’s actually our player 2/ he’s better.

So of the let go’s could be difficult. I think Henry is on a 3 year deal.

I think Mowatt could be ours too at the end of the season if we want him. Have to say I wouldn’t be unhappy if he signed for us. He’s starting to find his feet and could be a very good asset. I think he needs to find a club that believes in him and settle down for a while

IMO it's all relative depending on who you would bring in. Given a 22 man squad (including some of the four keepers, three of which you haven't even listed, neither Kelleher, Long, Ashby and Baptiste), you're after keeping just 9. Meaning what...13 or more new players? Fantastic!

Let's assume the folks brought in were improvements, or had greater potential than their predecessors. It's hypothetical... but the point of this was more around who our fans don't think are making the cut at OUFC, and in L1.

I did realise I had left a few out, but can't see Ashby, Long, Kelleher keeping on long term. The latter seemed a panic buy when we missed out on the chap who went to Barnsley.

Re Baptiste, no idea.

Decent assessment, this. I'd have Mousinho in the second group and pull Thomas and Rothwell into the first but that apart - yeah.

A lot of those in the second group were brought in by Pep, weren't they. Hmmm.

I think Mowatt could be ours too at the end of the season if we want him. Have to say I wouldn’t be unhappy if he signed for us. He’s starting to find his feet and could be a very good asset. I think he needs to find a club that believes in him and settle down for a while
He’s so slow tho, like he’s running in water! Think I’m quicker than him and I’m 46 & 19st ?

Let's assume the folks brought in were improvements, or had greater potential than their predecessors. It's hypothetical... but the point of this was more around who our fans don't think are making the cut at OUFC, and in L1.

I did realise I had left a few out, but can't see Ashby, Long, Kelleher keeping on long term. The latter seemed a panic buy when we missed out on the chap who went to Barnsley.

Re Baptiste, no idea.

If the players brought in were better than what we have, then they would all be released, no?
FWIW, I'd bump Carroll and Rothwell from group 2. Both have the right stuff for the future. Mowatt and Mousinho are the iffy ones from group 1.
After that, it's more about whether the players in group 2 would be happy as back-up/squad players. I doubt Ricky would be happy in the role for example. Martin, I honestly thing is OK, but only as a stop gap. Likewise Tiendalli. He was brought in as a relatively risk-free signing to challenge an established right-back, but unfortunately Ribeiro was made of the finest Welsh porcelain and Tiendalli has now been thrown in every week. I think it's 90% sure that Tiendalli will not be here after the end of the season, but as a back-up RB/LB he's fine provided he isn't on massive money.

Let's imagine we all had a deck of football stickers with our current squad in front of us. You have to filter the stickers into two piles; 'Keep' and 'Let Go', knowing that the more players in the latter will free up money and wages to sign replacements in August. Let's forget about current contracts for the sake of this.

The reason I'm posting this, is because a couple of years ago - I think I would have retained a majority of the squad. Not so much anymore! I feel that we need a complete refresh - with the lack of work ethic, passion, leadership and attacking threat being my main concerns.

Keep
Eastwood
Hall - Inconsistent, but shines every now and then - and is a more traditional winger. He does take people on.
Mousinho - Many may not agree, but based on his experience - I think he's definitely worth keeping as a versatile squad player.
Ruffels - Great season last year, and deserves a chance to rediscover that form.
Napa - Has looked decent in his limited time on the pitch. Hopefully one for the future.
Mowatt (Loan) - Absolute gamble. He has shown glimpses of class that you'd expect of a championship player. If he finds some consistency, then I would keep him (if possible!).

Let Go
Thomas
- Although he is a good poacher, I still think there are better options out there who are more prolific, with a better all round game.
Obika - I feel he has the potential to shift himself into the 'Keep' pile, but hasn't shown enough thus far this season.
Hemmings - I still feel he could have had a 20+ season in L1 with the right supply, but I think you would have to build a team around him to achieve that.
Henry - He is a good footballer, but can be very frustrating to watch. He has a good game 1 in 3 or 4, and as a winger/wide player - very rarely takes players on.
Williamson - Great start to the season, but tailed off - making some mistakes and probably feeling the effects of ageing.
Tiendalli - Concerns over fitness, positioning, and regularly seems to make mistakes. Not a fans favourite. Replace him with someone in the 'Baldock' mould.
Mehmeti - Maybe harsh to judge so early, but just hasn't looked like the type of player that will concern L1 defenders.
Xemi - The buzz around Xemi died quite quickly after his first few appearances. It's a shame, but I don't think he'll get enough game time to prove doubters (like me) wrong.
Ricardinho - The early signs were very exciting! - He's getting on a bit, and I'd rather we got hold of a young and aspiring wing back.
Rothwell - This guy has the potential to play blinders, but I don't think he's going to have a big enough impact consistently on L1 matches. Having said that, I do think given a run of games, he could push himself to folks' 'Keep' piles.
van Kessel (loan) - The arrogance the guy showed in his first few interviews was incredible - so much so that I (and probably he) thought he was going to score 48 goals this year. This chap won't be signing for £800-900k in the summer...!
Roberts - It's a shame it hasn't worked out, but I think he should head to a conference team and play regular football. If he cracks that, he'll be back in the football league.
Carroll - A tough one, because I like the chap - but MApp thought he'd end up being a defensive midfielder, and I agree that he would be better suited there. He's never going to be a marauding full back, and technique can often let him down. I think he'll end up in L2/Conference (not with us...).

Too early to judge:
Brannagan
- Please god, be good.
Dickie - Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get much of a shot, but I hope he does!

Would keep Rothwell, Carroll is work in progress whilst in current form it would be Martin over Mousinho. as regards Raglan not sure I've seen enough and I don't miss many games. Tiendalli will be gone at the end of the season, shame he gets the butt of the fans frustration although I think this may be heading towards Mousinho

Mousinho is playing on his wrong side, we need a natural left sided centre back, who was the last one we had? Hmmm Jake Wright? Lol
Would keep Rothwell as he has the ability to play in numerous positions

• React
Reactions: Ian

Keep
Eastwood

Let Go
Thomas

Too early to judge:
Brannagan
- Please god, be good.

Would keep Rothwell, Carroll is work in progress whilst in current form it would be Martin over Mousinho. as regards Raglan not sure I've seen enough and I don't miss many games. Tiendalli will be gone at the end of the season, shame he gets the butt of the fans frustration although I think this may be heading towards Mousinho

We improved when we stopped playing Dunks and had Raglan at left centre back at the end of last season.
I’d have him ahead of the Mous & Martin in our current team.

Back
Top Bottom