Current Squad 18/19

Shosho

Im sure there was a thread of a similar title, have spent ages looking for it but cant locate it!

Am happy to fire up the other thread if this is a duplicate.

I have put together the current squad, squad status, age and contract details, partly because I had time but also out of interest!

Hopefully others find it interesting also. If keen, I will do similar with the U23s. If there is interest I will keep up to date through the season.

Please feel free to correct anything I have wrong below:

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 08.57.56.png

Last edited:
Ashby was let go in May. Little is also playing in most senior friendlies and went to Ireland despite being announced as part of the U23 squad, so I'd say he can be added to the CM list in Ashby's place. He's going to feature in the squad multiple times this season from the looks of it.

If you're including U23 players then you've got a striker and a centre back to add.

Ashby was let go in May. Little is also playing in most senior friendlies and went to Ireland despite being announced as part of the U23 squad, so I'd say he can be added to the CM list in Ashby's place. He's going to feature in the squad multiple times this season from the looks of it.

If you're including U23 players then you've got a striker and a centre back to add.

Cheers! Have made the amendments, adding the U23s in italics

Eastwood, Garbutt, Nelson, Carruthers, Brannagan, Henry and Hall are L2 standard? After last season I would say that Dickie is comfortable at L1 as well. McMahon is surely also up there, even if you take a pessimistic view.

So that's nine who are at least L1 standard, and that's without Whyte who is a completely unknown quantity and Baptiste and Napa who look like they are developing nicely.

I'll grant you that we are missing a couple of strikers, a defensive midfield and maybe a dedicated winger but to say that that bunch of players are L2 standard is baffling and reeks of a man with an agenda.

Little was playing Right Mid at Ox City, not in the middle, assume he's a winger?

Im sure there was a thread of a similar title, have spent ages looking for it but cant locate it!

Am happy to fire up the other thread if this is a duplicate.

I have put together the current squad, squad status, age and contract details, partly because I had time but also out of interest!

Hopefully others find it interesting also. If keen, I will do similar with the U23s. If there is interest I will keep up to date through the season.

Please feel free to correct anything I have wrong below:

View attachment 617

Pekalski got paid off I assume? Not been involved in pre season and the club said he was being released?

Pekalski got paid off I assume? Not been involved in pre season and the club said he was being released?

I considered if he should be added but I seem to remember reading recently that he has been told to find a club but is yet to leave.

I considered if he should be added but I seem to remember reading recently that he has been told to find a club but is yet to leave.

Yes, that is the case. I'm sure Pekalski was mentioned in either an Oxford Mail or club article a little ago mentioning it.

Hi Kip, where do you feel we require additional strength? What makes the above league 2?

That has the makings of the team that scraped survival in League 1 last year.

Weve brought in a decent left back on loan, a bog standard l1 right back, and an unknown quantity winger. Carruthers is an ok signing on loan.

Weve let our top scorer go. Despite everyones hopes its apoarent the fabled superstar striker will not arrive.

Absolute rubbish. Nelson hardly played last year, Hall hardly played either- both of those are known quantities and will improve the team. Garbutt and Carruthers have good pedigree and will improve the team. So that's four improvements that are absolutely nailed on. Dickie (who markedly improved the defence) arrived only in January. Brannagan also improved our midfield, only started in January and missed matches after that after he was injured. So we will start the season with six better players than we had in place for the vast majority of last season. And that's without any more signings (there will be some), any of the other players stepping up (Little, Baptiste, Napa, Norman, Whyte etc) and any of the more experienced heads (for example Mousinho in his proper midfield position, McMahon) making an impact.

Yes we need strikers (urgently) - doubtless we will get them. They don't have to be (and won't be) 'superstars'.

I thought you were an Oxford supporter (albeit a very depressed one) - now I think you probably bat for the other side, because it's becoming a bit too obvious...

That has the makings of the team that scraped survival in League 1 last year.

Weve brought in a decent left back on loan, a bog standard l1 right back, and an unknown quantity winger. Carruthers is an ok signing on loan.

Weve let our top scorer go. Despite everyones hopes its apoarent the fabled superstar striker will not arrive.

This same squad had a big upturn in results and performances when KR came in, so by performances last season, it's a mid table L1 team.

You're right though, with only three weeks left in the transfer window, there's literally no time left to get us a decent striker or two.

Pre Season - Long has been being used at LB, Carroll more in CM than CB...
Agboola seems to have fallen behind Clayton in keeper circles as he went on U23 tour rather than senior - would expect two from these and Stevens to be out on loan again, at least up until Christmas

Decent strikers left are probably now out of our price range. Marquis, Eaves, Bakayoko, Szmodics, Vaughan etc

Coventry have bid 250K+ for Conor Chaplin.
The Posh paid a large sum for Matt Godden.
It's certainly getting harder to compete at this level.

Back
Top Bottom