Local News Culham - Nuclear Fusion and a new plant/project

Think Bezos is involved with the funding.

The one in France seems to be struggling.................

I thought all this stuff was going to stop after we left the EU..... :D 🇬🇧 <----- we need a bigger flag.

Think Bezos is involved with the funding.

The one in France seems to be struggling.................

I thought all this stuff was going to stop after we left the EU..... :D 🇬🇧 <----- we need a bigger flag.

Bezos is backing General Fusion and has done for over 10 years according to the article.

The EU has nothing to do with this one way or the other. Being in the EU wouldn't have stopped this happening either, as we already had Fusion projects (Mast has made a recent step forward iirc) operating which are UK based.

Bezos is backing General Fusion and has done for over 10 years according to the article.

The EU has nothing to do with this one way or the other. Being in the EU wouldn't have stopped this happening either, as we already had Fusion projects (Mast has made a recent step forward iirc) operating which are UK based.

The doom mongers said all the tech stuff would pack up and leave though.............. ;)

No.

The 'doom mongers' said it would have a negative effect on UK Science, Tech &Research.

From where I'm standing, so far at least, it definitely has.

Yep, this news, the Covid research projects, the vaccine development and roll out.

All packing up and going. ;)

Yep, this news, the Covid research projects, the vaccine development and roll out.

All packing up and going. ;)

...and what percentage of UK R&D do you imagine the above comprises?

No.

The 'doom mongers' said it would have a negative effect on UK Science, Tech &Research.

From where I'm standing, so far at least, it definitely has.
Really? I am a little surprised at that.
Presumably you are in the Industry?
Certainly there seems to be a boom in Life Science from what I have heard and seen.
Where are the significant reductions and are those nothing to do with COVID?

Really? I am a little surprised at that.
Presumably you are in the Industry?
Certainly there seems to be a boom in Life Science from what I have heard and seen.
Where are the significant reductions and are those nothing to do with COVID?

I am.

The first ballache, and it has been huge, is logistics. The man-hours and cash wasted with the mountains of red tape required for imports and exports - which are a vital part of R&D - has been simply stunning. This all comes from the research budget.

Awarding of contracts etc is far more anecdotal at this point but there looks to be far less work coming in from pan-Europe projects.

Also, flat cash or net reduction in R&D spending from central government in the majority of sectors. COVID doubtless plays the greater part here though.

Last edited:
I am.

The first ballache, and it has been huge, is logistics. The man-hours and cash wasted with the mountains of red tape required for imports and exports - which are a vital part of R&D - has been simply stunning. This all comes from the research budget.

Awarding of contracts etc is far more anecdotal at this point but there looks to be far less work coming in from pan-Europe projects.

Also, flat cash or net reduction in R&D spending from central government in the majority of sectors. COVID doubtless plays the greater part here though.
Yeah…. but…. In 50 years it’ll be good! :D

Excellent, so 5% of the sector, with a limited future, is positively thriving.

You think Medical R&I has a "limited future" ?

Jeez even I can`t believe anyone could say that, unless it is another desperate straw clutch? Almost the opposite of a squirrel!

I mean we used to make a lot of GDP selling coal, wool & timber but things have evolved slightly.

You think Medical R&I has a "limited future" ?

No. I think "the Covid research projects, the vaccine development and roll out" has a limited future. Commercially, certainly.

You changed the subject.

No. I think "the Covid research projects, the vaccine development and roll out" has a limited future. Commercially, certainly.

You changed the subject.

Whilst the initial Covid R&I and vaccine development received massive investment early on, the volume of data, what was learned and the development of ongoing Cov variant/regular jabs will keep the money rolling in for decades.
Covid has also driven/accelerated the development of mRNA vaccines for the globe and will do the same for a long time after I`m dead.

It`s all linked ;)

Whilst the initial Covid R&I and vaccine development received massive investment early on, the volume of data, what was learned and the development of ongoing Cov variant/regular jabs will keep the money rolling in for decades.
Covid has also driven/accelerated the development of mRNA vaccines for the globe and will do the same for a long time after I`m dead.

It`s all linked ;)

But weren't the mRNA vaccines developed in Europe and the US?

You changed the subject.
There will be lots of spin offs from COVID for UK science/ development for years to come.

But weren't the mRNA vaccines developed in Europe and the US?

Messenger RNA (mRNA) has been trundling along in research facilities for decades, it almost got the financial boost it needed when SARS & Ebola arrived.
The work done then, to further develop the mRNA aspect, hit the Covid radar and boom here we are.
Now the genie is out of the box and the clever folk have worked out how to stop the natural reaction to the vaccine, and the active aspect can get in and work, it will lead to many further developments globally and the UK won`t be isolated from that in anyway.

Here`s an interesting read:

Back
Top Bottom