EPL Cristiano Ronaldo

CR7 - best player I’ve ever seen live v Oxford, closely followed by a 17yo Jermaine Defoe

I can't comment on Maradonna etc as I never saw them play but it probably isn't a stretch to say Messi and Ronaldo are two of the best players ever to play the game. Messi for me is the better of the two as a far more complete player. Very similar goal record to Ronaldo but a far better team player, I think you could play him in the role KDB plays and he'd be the best midfielder in the world. Both won a continental title with their countries and lost finals, I think the Argentina team that got to the World Cup final are maybe a bit overestimated as well, a midfield with Enzo Perez, Lucas Biglia and Ezequiel Lavezzi isn't massively inspiring, although Mascherano was quality. Messi was player of the tournament that year as well.

Disappointing to see him go to France though I have to say. I also think the multiple league thing is overplayed, between 2008-2018 the Spanish clubs won 8 out of 10 Champions Leagues, why should a player move when they're already at the top level? I don't think going from Real Madrid to a Juventus team that had won the last 7 league titles in a row screams of taking a tough new challenge!

Is there really any conversation to be had as to who is the greatest footballer ever ? England, Spain, Italy, internationally, everywhere he goes he’s just phenomenal. How Manchester United have got him for £20m is astonishing business.
Juventus wanted him off the wage bill (he is apparently on £385000/week at Man U and took a £100000/week pay cut to make the deal happen) so any transfer fee for the 36 year old was mostly a secondary concern.
The issue for Man U will be whether parachuting a new highest earner in will upset their other squad (and their agents) egos. They also have a system built around high-pressing, which Ronaldo doesn't do.
If he plays with Cavani that is a 70-year old forward line, maybe they should sign Zlatan back and make it a 110 year old strike-force...

Ronaldos age is absolutely irrelevant in my opinion. At 36 he's fitter, faster and more agile than the vast majority of strikers in the Premier League. His determination to keep himself in peak physical condition is partly the reason he still out performs players 10 years younger than him.

It's a sensational signing, now it depends if he gets decent service from those behind him

CR7 - best player I’ve ever seen live v Oxford, closely followed by a 17yo Jermaine Defoe
I don't remember anything about his performance in that game. It was his first game in the UK after getting Rooney sent off in the summer. His every touch was booed by everyone except the local Manure Glory Supporters.

I do remember Eddie Odhiambo nutmeging him and Rob Duffy Scoring.

With 24/7 tv football the current crop are always in front of you, You were unlikely to see the likes of Pele other than at World Cups or the odd clip.
Ronaldo is always too busy preening himself and checking the screen to see if the camera is on him and then reacting to it regardless of where the action might be or his involvement, he wants to be seen whereas Messi just gets on with it and goes about it with style and elegance.

Whereas Sir Alex brought him to Old Trafford for football reasons, this time it's far more a commercial exercise a sign of how the game has changed and is now all about money.

Ronaldo is a complete athlete and has had to clearly work his socks off behind the scenes to reach the heights he has and this combined with his talent makes him one of the greatest. Not saying Messi doesn't work hard behind the scenes, he obviously does. He just strikes me as someone who can wander onto a football pitch and create magic. Stats can be argued between them but Messi for me just has that magical ability where he can wander past players like they are not there, maybe subjective rather than objective but to me he is the better of the two.

I don't think Man U actually wanted him, but they were bounced into it by Man City showing an interest.

I don't remember anything about his performance in that game. It was his first game in the UK after getting Rooney sent off in the summer. His every touch was booed by everyone except the local Manure Glory Supporters.

A fanboy edit of that game mostly focusing on CR. It’s criminal that the Burgess cross and Duffy header are omitted!

I don't think Man U actually wanted him, but they were bounced into it by Man City showing an interest.
Unfortunately another reminder of the morals or rather lack of in the game today. Just a mere coincidence then that whilst Mbappe and Messi were in the headlines regarding moves Ronaldo and or his agent had to be deflecting attention away from them towards him because he wants to be seen and suddenly fantasy stories emerge of moves to (cough) Man City and low and behold he pops up at Old Trafford again.

A case of Man Utd trying to appease their fans amid a commercial exercise that comes at the expense of their younger prospect/s and their game time.

Ibrahimovic has shown you can still operate at the top level at 39, but age is age and its very unlikely you can go much further than that

He was top class even though it was a friendly and he was getting constantly booed. I sat behind the goal and watched his movement, his touch and trickery under pressure were sublime.

Ibrahimovic has shown you can still operate at the top level at 39, but age is age and its very unlikely you can go much further than that
But but but, Kevin Ellison still playing in Lge2 at 41 and with a good goals per minute record.

Back
Top Bottom