Sport Cricket - Winter 2021/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteMerritt

Staff member
New thread with The Ashes about to start next week. But we can only begin in one place, the bit of history made in the India-New Zealand Test...

Well bowled Sir πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

New thread with The Ashes about to start next week. But we can only begin in one place, the bit of history made in the India-New Zealand Test...

Well bowled Sir πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘
Yep ...well bowled ....though despite taking all 10 wickets, he may well be on the losing side

NZ got a really good draw in the first Test.
Brilliant bowling by Patel but odds are on a hammering for NZ

What chance do England have in Australia?
3 1 to Australia is my bet (COVID allowing).

Who will bat at 3 and what will the bowling line up be in the first Test?

Malan will go in at 3 I'd have thought. I can't see anything other than Australia win, hope I'm very wrong.

Malan will go in at 3 I'd have thought. I can't see anything other than Australia win, hope I'm very wrong.
Yes probably Malan ahead of Crawley ( Pope ahead if Bairstow?)
I think that Robinson should play but wonder if it is between Broad and Robinson (Wood should surely play if fit?)

We will lose the series to 0, might get a draw along the way. Hard to have any hope with the way we collapse.

Will it end up being a four test series is the other question.

Nothing but an Aussie win even though I think both teams are closer in ability than recent series. If England can win a test or two down under that would be progress.

Stokes will probably have a key roll to play (again!) with bat and ball if we’re to give ourselves a realistic chance. Hopefully he won’t be affected by the time he’s had off from the game.
Root had a really good summer, and will also have to carry that form into the series.
Maybe those two, if playing well, will take the pressure off the top/middle order and allow some positive batting performances.

I think Robinson has the potential to make an impact out there. It’ll be interesting to see how he deals with the pressure, particularly at the Gabba with their more than lively crowd.

Australia have their issues too. Losing to an under strength India team last Winter, and now Tim Paine recently stepping down as Captain.

I don’t see an Australian whitewash, but it’s going to be a hard fight all the way.
Looking forward to this one.

What chance do England have in Australia?
3 1 to Australia is my bet (COVID allowing).

Who will bat at 3 and what will the bowling line up be in the first Test?
I have suspicion you may be right on the score - although both sides are a little under-cooked and the Aussies definitely have some weaknesses. As usual, they have a class fast bowling attack but I'd like to see us get at Lyon and not let him hold an end down.

Might be considered slightly off-centre, but I'd think about asking Stokes to bat at three. He has the defensive abilities and we know he will keep the scoreboard ticking over.

I was reading that England had a decent chance in the day nighters, as it could benefit our bowlers.
Looking at the stats though Australia have won all 8 day day night games they have played in, including all 5 at Adelaide!
It looks like the pitch will be dry so Leach is likely to play. Anderson and Broad in the 12, but the expectation is that Broad could be left out...

I was reading that England had a decent chance in the day nighters, as it could benefit our bowlers.
Looking at the stats though Australia have won all 8 day day night games they have played in, including all 5 at Adelaide!
It looks like the pitch will be dry so Leach is likely to play. Anderson and Broad in the 12, but the expectation is that Broad could be left out...
Add in the fact that England's record away from home with the Pink Ball is Played 3, Lost 3... (we did win one at home though, v West Indies)

If Leach plays we will probably see an attempt to hit him out of the rest of the series.

Doesn't matter how good the bowling is if our batsmen go awol as they often do.

Doesn't matter how good the bowling is if our batsmen go awol as they often do.
Very true. They really need to step up to the plate tomorrow morning. It can’t all be left to Root. Hopefully Malan can kick on from the last test.

I see Cricket Australia have given Smith the captaincy back. Typical.

I would just be glad to see us stop hitting stupid. There is no rush to pile on the runs.
A long hot day/night out there bowling without success is what those Sandpaperers need to be given.

The problem is, Root aside, I don’t think we have the personnel with the skill or mindset to bat that way.
Another effin win for the convicts I’m afraid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom