Sport Cricket - Winter 2021/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear.
Australia 144 for 1.
England have gone in with 4 right handed seamers, none of them particularly quick, plus Stokes (who has boowled 9 overs).
If we don't get a couple more wickets today, tomorrow could get a long long day.

Good job this is the day/night game which will suit our bowling then isn't it. This tour has started off worse than I'd feared, and I didn't expect much other than a whitewash as it was.

Let's face it. Neither the batting nor bowling are up to the mark, especially in Australian conditions. Without much swing, our fast bowlers aren't terribly threatening and we simply don't have a test class spinner. And the batting is worse than the bowling. I love watching cricket but am actually quite pleased I'll be asleep for the majority of this series!

WICKET!!!!!!!

Warner gone. Now let's at least get at Smith and turn him over.

CBA to this series in all honesty. I’ve lost interest in it already. Making it to the fourth day will be regarded as an achievement.

Did anybody see Buttler dropping Labuschagne?
England have put too many important catches down already this series

So I was going to watch the highlights of the first day's play when I got up this morning.

But then I saw what the score was, so I watched the highlights of the first day's play from the 2nd Test in 2005 instead (I still have the DVDs from all the late 00s/early 10s England Ashes wins). And damn, KP and Freddie played some extraordinary shots that day. By contrast, Trescothick just played the same shot over and over again.......but when that shot is an exquisite cover drive, who's complaining?

It was also a stark reminder of how much better the standard of Test cricket was in 2005 - from both sides, with bat and with ball.
2021 Joe Root would have gotten into the England team instead of 2005 Ian Bell, and probably Jos Buttler instead of Geraint Jones.
Then I think 2021 Steve Smith would have played instead of Damien Martyn, and then you might have batted David Warner at six instead of Simon Katich. And either Cummins or Hazelwood would have played instead of Kasprowicz when McGrath went down.
But that's your lot. Otherwise everyone was better in 2005. It's sad......and probably the fault of t20 as much as anything......

Says it all. 2 years of meticulous planning.
Despite the lack of quality players, Silverwood has to go surely?

Dreadful from England so far. Only two show any real resistance with the bat. Not good enough with the ball either and with no Moin Ali anymore we either don’t play a recognised spinner or further weaken the batting.
Jofra Archers pace is a big miss and a firing Mark Wood so we don’t have enough of what we need eg pace. Hopefully not another whitewash but our record in Australia in the last 30 years is dreadful.

Some extraordinary statistics showing how awful we have been in 2021 (I had forgotten how brightly it had begun)
I can't see it being any better in 2022 (NZ and India at home is pretty tough), but who knows?

Some extraordinary statistics showing how awful we have been in 2021 (I had forgotten how brightly it had begun)
I can't see it being any better in 2022 (NZ and India at home is pretty tough), but who knows?
The Saffers are over as well, or is that just for white ball cricket?

The Saffers are over as well, or is that just for white ball cricket?
You are right!
3 Tests v SA and it appears the cancelled Test v India (?)
West Indies v Away and South Africa home should give us a bit of a chance

You are right!
3 Tests v SA and it appears the cancelled Test v India (?)
West Indies v Away and South Africa home should give us a bit of a chance

Yeah, India are just over to play some white ball cricket, and then the Test that was cancelled.

New Zealand & South Africa are the main tourists for three match Test series (we also play three one days against the Dutch as part of the Cricket World Cup qualification super league thing)

But before then, we go to the West Indies for three Tests. That one should actually be a competitive series.

Australia 12 for 3 and 83 for 4 but now the recovery begins!

That Labuschagne dismissal :love:

bambie-ice.gif

A good start and then we let them off the hook! For all that's been said about the batting, the bowling is lacking much depth as well.

To be honest, I’ve been more interested in the SA v India series lately. Some low scoring innings has made for interesting cricket.

SA take the series 2-1 too. Kohli was chirping at Dean Elgar yesterday so it’s good to see India’s chief narcissist put in his place.

To be honest, I’ve been more interested in the SA v India series lately. Some low scoring innings has made for interesting cricket.

SA take the series 2-1 too. Kohli was chirping at Dean Elgar yesterday so it’s good to see India’s chief narcissist put in his place.
India are pretty much like us really, an average batting unit carried by 2 players, and a bowling attack who on their day can cause havoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom