Sport Cricket: Winter 2020/2021

11 over in the first hour by India. Despite spinners bowling is dreadful.

Root out

All to familiar feel to this, Crawley has played some sumptuous shots though.

Crawley was not out on an umpire’s call despite hitting off stump. Root out on something similar as the on field umpire gave it out.

Kohli overcelebrating like the narcissistic knob end that he is.

Four down already in the first session. Three to spin.

Ugh. 200 looks difficult from here.

Very poor session by the England Batsmen.

We’ve only gone in with one spinner Leach! Which means Root may have to bowl a lot.

Looks like it was a good toss to lose, but also looks like the pitch again has been prepared for the Indians, rather than a fair pitch for both teams.

Very poor session by the England Batsmen.

We’ve only gone in with one spinner Leach! Which means Root may have to bowl a lot.

Looks like it was a good toss to lose, but also looks like the pitch again has been prepared for the Indians, rather than a fair pitch for both teams.

That's what happens though isn't it? Every home team in the world tries to prepare pitches that will suit them, England are no different. Root had no complaints after the 2nd test.

I suppose the more relevant discussion is based around the game being able to go 4/5 days - initially you wouldn't think so, given the spin we've already seen and dust being thrown up.

That's what happens though isn't it? Every home team in the world tries to prepare pitches that will suit them, England are no different. Root had no complaints after the 2nd test.

I suppose the more relevant discussion is based around the game being able to go 4/5 days - initially you wouldn't think so, given the spin we've already seen and dust being thrown up.

Well they were talking about matches being reduced to 4 days, because test matches rarely go to the 5th day, at this rate we will be lucky to get to the third day.

England prepare there pitches, and the ball doesn’t spin as much early on, End of Day 2 and then 3 starts to do a bit. I don’t think the pitches are prepared for home advantage. A lot of it depends on overhead conditions, and that’s just luck if you bowling or not.

Well they were talking about matches being reduced to 4 days, because test matches rarely go to the 5th day, at this rate we will be lucky to get to the third day.

England prepare there pitches, and the ball doesn’t spin as much early on, End of Day 2 and then 3 starts to do a bit. I don’t think the pitches are prepared for home advantage. A lot of it depends on overhead conditions, and that’s just luck if you bowling or not.
Surely we prepare wickets that will respond to overhead conditions? There aren't many spinners wickets as such in the UK, Taunton perhaps and it's never been the nature of British wickets. Wickets in the sub-continent have spun more, can't see why the complaints now. They have high quality spinners, we don't.

I forgot it was on and just looked at the score.
Nightmare. It can't be all over in Day 1 of course but ....
So we have picked just the one spinner. In India? I really hope that the 3 seamers + Stokes prove me wrong.....

I agree - a five day test ideally lasts well into the last day given two reasonably matched teams. Obviously the Indians are going to prepare a pitch that suits them, but I think they have gone too far with pitches that are taking huge amounts of spin on the first day. Equally obviously one of the problems is that we do not have a single top class spinner - or this tactic wouldn't work.

So on the basis that the pitch preparation isn't going to change any time soon, we have to try to develop some spinners in this country and for county sides to prepare pitches that don't just suit medium paced fast bowling for five days.

No kidding! How unreasonable that the home side should prepare a pitch to suit their own local climatic conditions and their own bowling line up. No home team prepares a pitch based on any concept of 'fairness'. It's a competition.
To be fair though it shouldn't be turning as much as it is on day one. Even Graeme Swann is astonished by it. He says it's already looking like a day 4 pitch.

Let’s wait until both teams bat before judging the state of the pitch [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

No kidding! How unreasonable that the home side should prepare a pitch to suit their own local climatic conditions and their own bowling line up. No home team prepares a pitch based on any concept of 'fairness'. It's a competition.

I get that it’s a competition, but you look at the tour in Sri Lanka again sub continent, it wasn’t turning as much on Day 1, I’m not sure if you watch all England cricket when it’s on like I do myself, and wake up at 4am to tune in, but India have changed tact, because we embarrassed them in the first test Match, and realised they were in danger of potentially losing a series. So what they’ve done is created pitches that are turning 90’c on Day 1, because they couldn’t lose at home to England heaven forbid.

Let’s see if Anderson and Broad and Archer can rip through the India batsmen, we may get a surprise.

Defo not out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom