• ****Join the YF Fantasy EFL League: HERE. ****

Cricket - Summer 2024

Looking at the weather we are having they could have picked WG Grace for this series and it wouldn’t make any difference, going to be a lot of missed sessions.

Procter is still one of my all time favourite players. If it hadn't been for South Africa's ban he would have been up there with Beefy as one of the best all rounders in the world.
Saw him in the Parks when playing against the University team. A fearsome bowler and powerful batter who once hit six sixes off consecutive balls, though not all in the same over. Sadly died in February.
Do touring nations still play at Uni Parks as a warm up? Remember seeing the West Indies there in the mid nineties. What a team they had back then

Well that first innings probably couldn't have gone better for the ECB!

Skittled WI for 121, Atkinson takes 7 (SEVEN) of the wickets and then Anderson gets one at the end to get the cricket cheering.

Further indication that the tap on Jimmy's shoulder looks to be exactly the right call. He's a legend of cricket but Anderson just doesn't look to take early wickets these days as in his pomp. Would love him to take a few more in the second innings too.

Well that first innings probably couldn't have gone better for the ECB!

Skittled WI for 121, Atkinson takes 7 (SEVEN) of the wickets and then Anderson gets one at the end to get the cricket cheering.

Further indication that the tap on Jimmy's shoulder looks to be exactly the right call. He's a legend of cricket but Anderson just doesn't look to take early wickets these days as in his pomp. Would love him to take a few more in the second innings too.
I have not seen any play. Did the ball swing?
An amazing start for Atkinson, and further questions on Woakes and maybe confirmation that it is the right decision on Jimmy.
Like you, wouod like him to get a five for I the second innings.

An amazing start for Atkinson, and further questions on Woakes and maybe confirmation that it is the right decision on Jimmy.
Have only listened to small snippets of play between meetings so not sure how much swing there was. It wasn't hooping around as much as expected in the early cloudy conditions and the wickets is expected to get better during the match, so hopefully England can get the job done (and a fitting send-off for Jimmy).

Not a bad way to get your Test career going......rock up, skittle the Windies, get your name up on the Lord's honours board for all time (something the likes of Tendulkar, Lara, Warne and Ambrose never managed!). No big deal.

But yeah.....even more questions about why Woakes is playing, rather than one of our other young, quicker seamers. Once we've given Jimmy an appropriate send-off, this summer should be ALL about finding the bowlers who are going to be going down under in eighteen months' time.

Well I hope nobody has Saturday tickets for Lord's.

West Indies have slipped to 37/4 in their second innings, still trailing by 213 runs.

I have tickets for the fourth day at Edgbaston, so if the West Indies could improve over the next 2 weeks I would appreciate it.
Hopefully we can just bowl a few feet outside off for the rest of the day then let Jimmy sweep up with a fifer in the morning!

Edit - realised that this is a few weeks off rather than tomorrow!!

Last edited:
A convincing win for England. Thanks for all the memories Jimmy.

Going to Trent Bridge next week to tick off another ground - fortunately I have tickets for day 1.

Impressive start by Gus Atkinson as well. Two 5 wicket hauls in 2 innings and 12 wickets being a record debut.

Oh Jimmy, Jimmy.

As said after the first innings, this result really couldn’t have gone better for England. A fitting send off for Jimmy who was amongst the wickets, but also a signal of a new generation coming through in Atkinson.

They’ve handled it well.

As said after the first innings, this result really couldn’t have gone better for England. A fitting send off for Jimmy who was amongst the wickets, but also a signal of a new generation coming through in Atkinson.

They’ve handled it well.

Just a pity the Windies are so weak. Hopefully they're debutants can kick on and develop. T20 franchise cricket has really done for the Windies and player selection.

Just a pity the Windies are so weak. Hopefully they're debutants can kick on and develop. T20 franchise cricket has really done for the Windies and player selection.
Indeed. Although as noted on TMS this morning, the decline in WI cricket started thirty years ago and prorated T20 and franchise cricket. Very sad to see and not clear if they will ever be one on of the world’s best ever again.

Second Test v West Indies has started in Nottingham. England 66-1 off 8 overs, Ben Duckett has 48 and obviously thinks he is playing in a T20... Crawley the man out for 0 in the first over of the day.

Second Test v West Indies has started in Nottingham. England 66-1 off 8 overs, Ben Duckett has 48 and obviously thinks he is playing in a T20... Crawley the man out for 0 in the first over of the day.

Modern test cricketers are definitely not on a day rate, job and knock price work more like.

Back
Top Bottom