• ****Join the YF Fantasy EFL League: HERE. ****

Cricket - Summer 2024

So SA hammered Afghanistan on a very poor pitch by all accounts.

Assuming that the weather is OK, we will need to play at the top of our game to beat India. The batting has fired sporadically and Rachid/ Archer are teriffic bowlers, but the back up has been a little erratic.

Time for ot all to fire at once ( but I fo worry about Bumrah and their spinners on what is expected to be good for spinners)

A late start but really interesting.
29 for 1 after 4 overs ( India).
Topley bowled Kholi and Sharma couod have been caught.
A difficult pitch to bat on ( low bounce) and England can't let them get away.

Back playing now. I never knew it rained as much in the Caribbean till this World Cup, been loads of delays.

Back playing now. I never knew it rained as much in the Caribbean till this World Cup, been loads of delays.
Apparently ot is the rainy season!

Difficult to see how this will go- a difficult pitch to score quickly on

Wish it had kept raining now.
My one blessing, was that I’d recorded the “game”, so could fast forward through the stoppages.
It was a very poor performance from England. The bowling was disappointing, and we gave away too many boundaries. The batting was even worse, with no real partnerships. Not helped by two run-outs, and two ‘umpires call’ decisions on lbw reviews.
Two unbeaten teams in the final. I hope the South African’s can quieten the Indian crowd.

I didn't watch it (World t20 has been tough to find in the US) but it seems like South Africa needed 26 off four overs, with six wickets in hand, and completely bottled it?

How can their rugby team be so absurdly clutch, whilst their cricket team is an absolute bunch of choke artists?!?

I didn't watch it (World t20 has been tough to find in the US) but it seems like South Africa needed 26 off four overs, with six wickets in hand, and completely bottled it?

How can their rugby team be so absurdly clutch, whilst their cricket team is an absolute bunch of choke artists?!?

They are perennial chokers, and always will be.

Always remember them choking years ago when we held the World Cup, and they choked against Australia when Lance Kluesner and Allan Donald messed up.

The ICC have got what they wanted an Indian win. But I thought the whole tournament was badly scheduled. The Caribbean is known for its poor weather around this time of year, and it should of been played when the weather is renowned for being much better.

I'm all for the ECB deciding to select based on the ashes down under in 18 months time. We need to find bowlers that can bowl quick and take wickets on hard and true decks.

It is with that in mind that i find the Woakes inclusion a strange one. Undeniably he has been a really good servant to England, in home series in particular. I'd have much preferred to have seen Atkinson and Pennington get a go this week. There is no way Woakes gets selected on that Ashes tour so I'm not sure what merit there is in selecting someone that has played two FC games this season and taking a grand total of 1 wicket.

Yes, picking Woakes kind of contradicts the reason for forcing Anderson to retire, a man who has just taken 7-40 odd in an innings.
You could see Jimmy was seething in his interview yesterday saying he's as fit as he's ever been and wanted to carry on but diplomatically stopping short of criticism.
I think picking Woakes is a defensive move based on the fact he can bat a bit lower down the order. It can't be due to form.

Yes, picking Woakes kind of contradicts the reason for forcing Anderson to retire, a man who has just taken 7-40 odd in an innings.
You could see Jimmy was seething in his interview yesterday saying he's as fit as he's ever been and wanted to carry on but diplomatically stopping short of criticism.
I think picking Woakes is a defensive move based on the fact he can bat a bit lower down the order. It can't be due to form.

I think this hits the nail on the head and is something that we have repeatedly been guilty of in the last 5-10 years. Picking bits and pieces players rather than your strike bowling options.

Robinson, Bresnan and Curran are three that immediately spring to mind when thinking about players that could do a little bit of both and managed to get test caps for England. Take them outside of England and they looked pretty innocuous.

I think this hits the nail on the head and is something that we have repeatedly been guilty of in the last 5-10 years. Picking bits and pieces players rather than your strike bowling options.

Robinson, Bresnan and Curran are three that immediately spring to mind when thinking about players that could do a little bit of both and managed to get test caps for England. Take them outside of England and they looked pretty innocuous.

And you know what, it's probably fine for home series against the West Indies and Sri Lanka - two sides who are not that good, and will probably have no idea what to do with a swinging ball. But you're either playing for right now (in which case you'd pick Jimmy all summer) or you're playing for the next Ashes series (in which case, you should be blooding your quickest bowlers with the most potential). The Woakes selection is a blatant hedge.

(though in defense of Tim Bresnan - he was excellent in Melbourne and Sydney in 2010/11!)

Back
Top Bottom