Sport Cricket - Summer 2022

I have never seen a wicket happen like that before. Mitchell even middling the ball as non-striker.
I recently saw a drive deflect off an umpire and then caught by a fielder in Thames Valley League (Division 10!) game

I have never seen a wicket happen like that before. Mitchell even middling the ball as non-striker.

Happened to Andrew Symonds (RIP) once as well -

The start to this summer has generally been excellent.......except when Mitchell & Blundell are batting. We can't seem to get either of these ****ers out!

2 wickets this morning so far - could've been perhaps 2 more, but for sloppy fielding... Stuart Broad is now on 549 test wickets, c'mon Braody make it 550plus on your birthday

A stupid bowling attack this morning, followed by a suicidal batting slog.

Absolutely ridiculous - and certainly not test cricket. Did Stokes/McCullum just get lucky a couple of times?

Bairstow seems to be revelling in his role in the side. I wondered whether it was because he was coming in later but - no - still up the order.

100 partnership between Overton and Bairstow, now up to 162/6.

Jamie Overton has one first class century to his name. He’s batted at 11 at times in his career.

On Test debut, he’s now 78 off 88 deliveries.

Jamie Overton has one first class century to his name. He’s batted at 11 at times in his career.

On Test debut, he’s now 78 off 88 deliveries.

Gets to stumps with 89 from 106. And the strike rate only dropped as he made sure he got to stumps. Excellent knock.

Stunning from Bairstow.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: MJB
It's an excellent stand - a pity the higher order batsmen didn't play more sensibly, it could have been the icing on the cake instead of a lifeboat!

It's an excellent stand - a pity the higher order batsmen didn't play more sensibly, it could have been the icing on the cake instead of a lifeboat!

You’re absolutely right but this Stokes era of captaincy has really restored my faith in English cricket.

We’ll lose games but we might be witnessing a change in Test cricket which is both entertaining and helps ensure its survival.

I’ll be sad to miss a certain kind of Test cricket, but things move on and I can’t say I’m not massively entertained.

Stokes has got most of the big calls right so far.
Keeping faith with Bairstow when many would have dropped him was probably the biggest.
He also seems to back the spinner far more than Root did.
Really early days and we will lose games and be out for small scores but Stokes as captain so far looks a really interesting choice as captain

You’re absolutely right but this Stokes era of captaincy has really restored my faith in English cricket.

We’ll lose games but we might be witnessing a change in Test cricket which is both entertaining and helps ensure its survival.

I’ll be sad to miss a certain kind of Test cricket, but things move on and I can’t say I’m not massively entertained.
Im not sure if the salvation of test cricket is to transform it into an elongated version of T20... Id love to hear Geoff Boycott’s take on it all! 😁

Back
Top Bottom