Sport Cricket - Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very strange goings-on with the England central contracts - Sibley doesn't get one, which seems sensible (@Leysboy will be disappointed!) and Malan does (which seems slightly odd). But the strangest decision is that of awarding Leach a contract - Silverwood doesn't seem to have any faith in him, he hardly gets a game and yet he gets a contract. More travelling and drinks shuttling I guess!

Very strange goings-on with the England central contracts - Sibley doesn't get one, which seems sensible (@Leysboy will be disappointed!) and Malan does (which seems slightly odd). But the strangest decision is that of awarding Leach a contract - Silverwood doesn't seem to have any faith in him, he hardly gets a game and yet he gets a contract. More travelling and drinks shuttling I guess!
Moeen has retired from Test Cricket which, I guess means that Leach is next on the block.
Bess seems out of favour.
Anybody else is another trial and error I guess.

I thought that - but wondered if that merited a central contract. I actually have some sympathy for the fella - he'e been sat in all of those bubbles without actually getting a game.

Moeen has retired from Test Cricket which, I guess means that Leach is next on the block.
Bess seems out of favour.
Anybody else is another trial and error I guess.
Yep. Mo retiring is the reason which was the right one. He was becoming a liability!!

Dominic Sibley not given contract, wonderful news! He’s been a poor opener for too long, and it’s about time we looked elsewhere.

I thought Malan would get given one, and had booked his ticket for the ashes.

Just need to get rid of Silverwood. I’m not a fan!

Dominic Sibley not given contract, wonderful news! He’s been a poor opener for too long, and it’s about time we looked elsewhere.

I thought Malan would get given one, and had booked his ticket for the ashes.

Just need to get rid of Silverwood. I’m not a fan!
Apparently the central contracts are for all forms if the game.
So it's not surprising that Malan has one ( and he will be in the Ashes squad as well)

Apparently the central contracts are for all forms if the game.
So it's not surprising that Malan has one ( and he will be in the Ashes squad as well)
Yeah central contracts are different now, they’re not format-specific any more

England just finished batting in a T20 warm-up match v India, making 188-5. Bairstow 49 (36), Ali 43 (20), Livingstone 30 (20). Moeen hit the last 2 balls of the innings for 6. Should be an interesting India run chase. Think it's on Sky Sports as well, a good way to spend the first part of the evening.

A good start for England.
From the 2 games today, it looks like there could be more attritional games without the ball going out if the ground every couple of balls.

A good start for England.
From the 2 games today, it looks like there could be more attritional games without the ball going out if the ground every couple of balls.
Hopefully, would be a good tournament if the ballance between bat and ball shifted towards ball a bit.

You obviously couldn't google the reasons behind his actions, so as to enlighten us then?

I relied on the BBC to do that.............. 🤷‍♀️ :)

I tend to agree with him.... "It's everyone's decision; no-one's forced to do anything, not in life. That's the way I see things."

I relied on the BBC to do that.............. 🤷‍♀️ :)

I tend to agree with him.... "It's everyone's decision; no-one's forced to do anything, not in life. That's the way I see things."
It's certainly an interesting one, as Nortje and Klaasen both raised the fists, having stood with their hands behind their backs against Australia. I would generally agree with his right to take a neutral stance (unlike the booing advocated by certain individuals on this forum) and there's no indication I've seen that he disagrees with the principle of standing up to racism, but I can't see it will sit well with CSA given the recent past of South Africa, let alone the current situation.

If he stands his ground then it would seem he has decided that he would rather not play for SA under these circumstances. On a purely cricketing basis, he's such a talent he can probably find gainful employment all year round in England, Australia and the IPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom