Sport Cricket - Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there ever been such a gulf in form/success between the test and short-form England cricket teams as there is right now?!

I could vent my spleen on here for ages about our catastrophic test team. Especially the batting, the coach has to take a lot of the blame.

I remember when were the worst ranked test side in the world, and then Duncan Fletcher came in and fixed it over time. This team as it stands is rapidly going backwards, and doesn’t look like there are many positives to cherry pick out of this team.

I dread to think what will happen once Anderson and Broad call it a day.

All the emphasis has been put in to the two shortest formats of the game, and that’s a real shame, because imo test cricket is more of a contest. Anyone nowadays can win a ODI or a twenty 20. Test cricket is where the best team more often than not comes out on top.

Someone above mentioned Andy Flower. He’s was a superb coach for England, and he did have a proper variety of batsmen from top to bottom on the line up. You had players that would sit in ie Cook, Trott, and then you had batsman coming in afterwards that could accelerate an innings Pietersen, Prior for example.

It’s just a massive disappointment that a game we love has lost its importance with the powers that be.

The last time Virat Kohli played a non-Test first-class match was in November 2012, nearly nine years ago.

I thought that was an interesting stat.

to accompany yesterdays calamitous batting display, today England spaff away two of three avail' reviews in a manner even our PM would shy away from!

India will post a good first innings total, which makes our performance with that bat look even worse. We are at home, and should be able to play accordingly in these conditions.

Michael Vaughan echoed my exact thoughts. Dominic Sibley is not at test standard, and he’s right about Dan Lawrence too.

India 45/0 after 26 overs. We are just not good enough. The bowling department is fine, along with the fielding. The batting needs to be changed dramatically, and we need a new head coach.

India will post a good first innings total, which makes our performance with that bat look even worse. We are at home, and should be able to play accordingly in these conditions.

Michael Vaughan echoed my exact thoughts. Dominic Sibley is not at test standard, and he’s right about Dan Lawrence too.

India 45/0 after 26 overs. We are just not good enough. The bowling department is fine, along with the fielding. The batting needs to be changed dramatically, and we need a new head coach.
agree 100% ^^

India 45/0 after 26 overs. We are just not good enough. The bowling department is fine, along with the fielding. The batting needs to be changed dramatically, and we need a new head cocoach.
I don't agree that the bowling department is OK.
Anderson and Broad are near the end. We have no top spinner. Abroad we will rarely take 20 wickets in a match. Even in English conditions India totally out bowl us.
Still better than the batting though.

I don't agree that the bowling department is OK.
Anderson and Broad are near the end. We have no top spinner. Abroad we will rarely take 20 wickets in a match. Even in English conditions India totally out bowl us.
Still better than the batting though.

The bowling Is ok. But just ok! It certainly doesn’t need to be under the microscope like our batting does.

Spinner. Give that young man Parkinson a go, and part time spin with Root. Without a spinner we can’t control an end, and dry the runs up.

Leach isn’t my cup of tea, and if he’s not being chosen, then obviously the selectors don’t believe in him either.

Jofra Archer been ruled out of the T20 world cup and the Ashes. Got a horrible feeling his career is gonna be a 'what might have been'.

Jofra Archer been ruled out of the T20 world cup and the Ashes. Got a horrible feeling his career is gonna be a 'what might have been'.

He does seem to spend a lot of time on the treatment table. No doubt he’s incredibly talented, just a shame he can’t stay fit.

4 India wickets taken .... afternoon session looking much better than these mornings...and much better than yesterday

Off for bad light.

They can play day/night games, so what on earth is that about when you are playing in a stadium with floodlights? If necessary, change the ball if the red one is too dark.

(Although I suspect it'll be piddling down there soon anyway - but it would have been good to give the paying punters as much cricket to watch as they could)

He does seem to spend a lot of time on the treatment table. No doubt he’s incredibly talented, just a shame he can’t stay fit.
I think he was over bowled in that first year he qualified for England - apart from the one day games, he was also bowling really spells in his first tests. I remember thinking at the time the spells were far too long for a strike bowler. He seems to have suffered a series of niggling injuries since then, culminating in a serious elbow injury.

4 India wickets taken .... afternoon session looking much better than these mornings...and much better than yesterday
Just saw the highlights - Kohli really doesn't want to walk, even when it is absolutely clear cut!

Just saw the highlights - Kohli really doesn't want to walk, even when it is absolutely clear cut!
To be fair, he was never going to walk for that. Remember he didn't walk when he was Bowled by Moeen earlier in the year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom