Sport Cricket - Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everyone's views on The Hundred which kicks off tonight?

Personally I'm not sure. First of all the negatives:-

- We already have a quick format that can be done and dusted in an evening called Twenty20, and that has been largely successful
- We already have three formats of cricket (first class, 50 over and Twenty20), a 4th format runs the risk of oversaturation
- 10 ball overs. Why? Just why?

On the positive side of things:-

- The women's game is given equal billing, which will certainly help boost the game and interest in the sport
- The big one for me is that it's on Terrestrial TV. The ECB have finally decided to give the game back to the people, rather than selling out to the highest bidder like Sky

Personally, I'm prepared to give it a go. I will be definitely pulling up a chair and settling down with a nice ale to watch! May even head down to the Oval or Lords one evening.

Last edited:
No, not for me. I know why they have done it, basically it's a way to get franchise cricket over here and sidestep the counties.

T20 is short enough, and the changing of established cricket conventions is a step too far. I can't stand the stupid American-style team names, plus the kits are horrendous.

There is an attempt to manufacture rivalries as well, with 'rivals' playing each other more than other teams. Sorry, the fans decide rivalries, not marketing people around a table.

T20 cricket last night showed us how exciting it can be. We don’t need any other form of the game, we have T20, One Day and Test cricket - that’s fine; there’s something for everyone.

International T20 can be exciting ( like last nights series decider that went to the wire).... as can ODI 's .... for me International Test Cricket is the best and purest form of Cricket

If Oxford, ok Oxfordshire, had a first class county cricket team I may be tempted to tentatively take an interest in ( first class) County cricket

I do agree with @SteMerritt re franchising being a step too far

I may have a look at the 'Hundred' later ... though Im not expecting much

Lasted 10 mins of watching the 100

Not for me thanks

All the features of The Hundred are essentially there with the T20 Blast. Middlesex sell tonnes of tickets for their matches (and Middlesex are rubbish too) and you won’t get a ticket for love nor money for the proper rivalry with Surrey. They had a template ready and yet created a needless version to jam into a packed summer.

If the ECB really wanted to push the game, focusing on allowing the counties to act like franchises and making the T20 Blast the premier T20 competition outside of India and Australia would be the way to do it. I’m not sure how you attract new cricket fans to a tournament when existing (dare I say it ‘legacy’) fans have to clue themselves up on it on power plays and number of deliveries in an over.

I do concede that it’s good that the women’s game and men’s game can be marketed together and it does attract some good players to it.

The BBC’s coverage is like they’ve given TMS over to BBC3. What would John Arlott think of all this?!

No, not for me. I know why they have done it, basically it's a way to get franchise cricket over here and sidestep the counties.

T20 is short enough, and the changing of established cricket conventions is a step too far. I can't stand the stupid American-style team names, plus the kits are horrendous.

There is an attempt to manufacture rivalries as well, with 'rivals' playing each other more than other teams. Sorry, the fans decide rivalries, not marketing people around a table.
Isn't the T20 Blast a form of franchise cricket though?

Not a fan of the on screen graphics, but I suppose it's meant to be clear and basic, I want Run Rates 😂

Watched the match this evening. It was an entertaining affair and close finish but offered nothing new that T20 doesn’t already.

The 10 ball/5 ball over rule is overly confusing and the graphics on show don’t give you the real detail needed. The countdown clock is a good idea and makes it clear to the uninitiated what’s needed from the deliveries left.

If only the ECB had allowed The Blast and the KSL on terrestrial TV …

I agree with everyone else. T20 is 120 ball cricket. I can't see what the advantage is of reducing that by 20 balls and introducing 5 ball overs (except that the bowler can seemingly bowl two of them on the trot, white cards (?)) etc.

Three forms of cricket is enough.

Did anybody watch the 100 game last night?
I watched the last 30 minutes and it was decent. Great finish to the game.
It is going to be more razzmatazz than even 20/20, but if it gets young people into cricket?

It is going to be more razzmatazz than even 20/20, but if it gets young people into cricket?
got bored after ten mins

in proper cricket news Robinson ( the bowler , not KR) has been forgiven and in the squad for the forthcoming test series v India

Wouldn't the solution be to 'razzmatazz' the T20 up a bit rather than to invent a completely new (but very similar) format?

I agree it's good to get youngsters into cricket - maybe they could put some Test cricket on terrestrial TV?

(Mind you that would annoy my test-cricket loving, Sky-equipped mum - who seems to think she is being cheated somehow when there is any cricket on any other platform!)

got bored after ten mins

in proper cricket news Robinson ( the bowler , not KR) has been forgiven and in the squad for the forthcoming test series v India
😀

From a cricket perspective its good that Robinson is back. He really impressed with the bat and ball.

I am put off by the stupid names. Manchester Originals, Southern Brave - why??? I can't get inspired to support any team with crappy pseudo American names like these.
This, along with the ugly sponsor-inspired kits.

Although I have found something I do like, getting rid of the 'batsmen crossed' rule when a wicket falls, meaning the new batsman will be on strike when he comes in. This should be extended to all forms of the game, a rule I've never seen the logic behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom