Craig Bellamy the new favourite!!

I wouldn’t mind Bellamy. He seems to be building a decent reputation and is very determined. He wants to play football the right way and develop players, so could be a good fit.

From Ox Mail:-

CRAIG Bellamy refused to be say when asked directly whether he was in the running to be Oxford United's next manager.
Speaking on Sky TV's 'The Debate' tonight, the bookies' favourite to replace Pep Clotet was questioned on whether he had held talks with the U's and if he was interested in the role.
The former Wales international admitted he would be open to any management job with a club that 'had good owners who would give you time', but stopped short of saying if that club could be United.
"It's no secret that I have always wanted to become a manager," he said.
"It doesn't bother me what league. I have always been conscious of the fact I want it to be a good football club with good owners, someone that is going to back you and give you time.
"If I felt confident that was the case I would definitely jump at it."
He added: "I'll tell you when I know, so I have got nothing to tell you now."
Bellamy just missed out on the Wales job, and the Oxford Mail understands he has spoken to the U's board about the vacant role.
Bellamy went on to explain the criteria he would look for in a club, if he were to go in as manager.
"I want to create an identity and I want it to mean something," he said.
"I am prepared to work 24 hours a day and give it everything to be the best that I can be. But I want the club to want to be that way as well.
"Of course doing well at a football club is important and that's what you get looked at.
"But it's what you leave. Not just the position but is there a structure in place because a football club is more important than me.
"Hopefully that club has short-term success, but also has five or ten years success on the back of what you were able to do. That for me counts if you've been successful or not.
When asked directly if he wanted to reveal whether there had been contact with Oxford United, Bellamy replied: "I don't want to tell you that."

Well he talks a good game. If he gets the job, will actions speak louder than words in a positive way? I hope so.

Well he talks a good game. If he gets the job, will actions speak louder than words in a positive way? I hope so.
Blimey! Go out dadcabbing my youngest daughter on her birthday and miss breaking (non....as it stands) news. Kids eh!:rolleyes:

I might be on my own here but I wouldn’t actually mind it, from what I’ve heard he could turn out to be a very good manager one day. Whether it would work in his first job you never know. Wants to play football the ”correct”way. Yes he was a bit of a character on the pitch and off it, I actually think this will work in his favour when it comes to man management. As for the lack of experience well that makes him pretty unpredictable and without doubt a risky appointment. With the way things go in management now though I think I’d rather try a young hungry up and coming manager. Either way we need someone who can unite everyone and really get everyone pulling in the same direction, unfortunately I don’t really feel we ever had that under Pep.

Is it me or did he just describe Oxford United as the sort of club he would join?

It sounds like he wants to do something similar to what MApp did so I think he would fit in with how the club wanted to move forward quite well.

No idea with this one but I think I'm leaning toward someone with a good track record at some reasonably recent point in their managerial career. But lets not just judge the guy from his on pitch playing days behaviour too much. He was/is clearly a person with a lot of passion and a will to win attitude. Those are two very good qualities of any manager.

Last edited:
What about that bloke at Partick Thistle who was linked in the summer. Archibald, could he be of interest...

Couldn't care less about his playing past. If he's willing to graft for us then i would welcome and support his appointment.

I don't care about what he has done, but what he could achieve. There are plenty of players who were idiots on the pitch, but matured with age. If he is deemed to be the best available, then he would get my full support.

The transcript of his interview on Sky sounds like he’s still in his job interview. Is he even using similar sound bites to DE?
Identity
Structure
Club more important
Didn’t Eales even use the ‘new manager, short term success - long term goals’

No ta, would love someone with experience and a good track record (although I was coming around to liking Unsworth before he said no).

Although at the moment I am not sure there are many like this to choose from. It is a bit worrying all of these rumors about being turned down. They may not be true but even the fact they exist can be hurtful to the clubs reputation. If they are true I wonder if this is fall out from our owners recent detachment from the club?

This whole situation is saying a lot I think about the attitude of certain managers or potential managers. It seems they are getting inflated opinions of themselves like players (of which some were). Its like a kid from school who refuses a junior position because they want to walk straight into senior management.

Pep's failure was more on him than the club, he was supported bringing in his players he was give 2 thirds of a season in which the club went massively in reverse in terms of on pitch performances. He simply had to go and this was on him. If his treatment is affecting potential candidates judgement then they are not looking at us properly.

The fact is OUFC is still a good club to cut your teeth with. We have a reasonable setup, a good youth system and a potentially decent enough squad (maybe not for promotion but for a comfortable finish). I am sure DE is realistic enough to not demand promotion this season, so you have a job to walk into in which you get a relatively low pressure third of a season , followed by a job that is by no means impossible. This should be a massive draw to up and coming managers. We may not be a championship club but we are also not in the mess that some of those clubs are in. Moderate success here (not so difficult) and much better options open up for you than you would get otherwise.

The fact is I think OUFC can do better than Bellamy, it would be a sad indictment of the game if can not.

Back
Top Bottom