EFL Cowley brothers

Appleton now clear favourite for the Lincoln job. Press are saying he was watching their game at Rochdale last night. Would be very ‘us’ if he went there and his first game was this Saturday.

with the greatest respect to Lincoln i am very surprised he has even considered it.

with the greatest respect to Lincoln i am very surprised he has even considered it.
Good club, Lincoln. New training ground, huge number of season ticket holders (they have more of them than our total average home attendance), financially stable and the entire city is behind them. There’s a Lincoln season ticket holder at my work who goes back up from London every other weekend. I went to a game with him in their Conference promotion season away at Solihull, and it was electric even on a Tuesday night. Constant noise and more than 1,000 of them travelled. They take 2,000 - 3,000 fans to away games multiple times per season. It all reminds me of our club during the promotion season, only they’ve had it for three years and have huge momentum.

Appleton always said he learned from his mistakes in picking bad clubs at bad times. He cares a lot about the state of a club and the structure of it all, and right now Lincoln is in a great spot.

Don’t agree - they’re at their upper limit whoever takes over. Appleton would be better off going for a club like Bolton or Blackpool . ( yes i knows he’s managed their before.)

Bet Lincoln end up in the bottom half.

Appleton would be best off coming back here!

It doesn’t make sense Lincoln. Two quick promotions, and may get another but whoever manages at the moment surely wouldn’t be tasked with promotion this season.
Bolton would be a challenge if they could afford his wages after all that has gone on there.
I felt sure his next challenge would be higher up the leagues not in L1

but a lot of this will be pure envy from us if he goes there won't it
and needless to say the result on Saturday will be inevitable if its MAPP v KR - tactical nous v lack thereof

It doesn’t make sense Lincoln. Two quick promotions, and may get another but whoever manages at the moment surely wouldn’t be tasked with promotion this season.
Bolton would be a challenge if they could afford his wages after all that has gone on there.
I felt sure his next challenge would be higher up the leagues not in L1
Tend to agree, I thought his next challenge would be a bigger club looking to get into or already in the Championship and staying there. Coventry, Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth from our division. Or any of the top 19 in the Championship.

Don’t agree - they’re at their upper limit whoever takes over.
If Brentford can get promoted and become an established Championship club, and Burton can have a couple of seasons up there, Rotherham can be a yo-yo club etc, there's no reason why Lincoln can't strive to get beyond this division even if only for a season or two, which is all any manager is tasked with initially. They sold out of season tickets in 48 hours this summer - nearly 6,500 of them - without a single player signing by that point. We had around 5,600 home fans total at the weekend. The same day, they had well over 8,000 home fans at theirs. They're riding the crest of a wave, and that counts for a lot.

A lot of yellow tinted glasses on this forum.

If Brentford can get promoted and become an established Championship club, and Burton can have a couple of seasons up there, Rotherham can be a yo-yo club etc, there's no reason why Lincoln can't strive to get beyond this division even if only for a season or two, which is all any manager is tasked with initially. They sold out of season tickets in 48 hours this summer - nearly 6,500 of them - without a single player signing by that point. We had around 5,600 home fans total at the weekend. The same day, they had well over 8,000 home fans at theirs. They're riding the crest of a wave, and that counts for a lot.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I think Appleton should be managing at a higher level than league 1 and even if Lincoln get promoted to the Championship, I don't see them being competitive there.

It seems a step back to go to Lincoln when there are bigger clubs in L1 that he would stand more chance of another promotion, and lets not forget he left Oxford I suspect because we didn't have a realistic chance of the top 3.

Nothing to do with bias , all to do with reality. Lincoln have really limited potential. Rotherham and Brentford have bigger potential fan bases. So do OUFC.

Sincil Bank's capacity is 10k.

Yes, their current average attendance is very impressive (8,689) but they cannot significantly increase that because they can't fit many more people in their ground.

Unless they have plans for a new ground (like Brentford), then I would say that the limit of Lincoln's ambition is to survive in the Championship for a couple of years (a la Burton). You can't compete near the top of the Championship long term on 10k crowds.

So it's not an ambitious career move for Appleton.
But I suspect it was what he was left with after his bad decision (other than financially) to leave OUFC for an assistant's job.

Totally ridiculous decision to sack them.
wherever he’s been he’s been successful. Over the last six games, four clean sheets and beating probably promoted WBA.
Huddersfield, a typical Yorkshire club that sack managers for fun.

Not quite as batsh!t crazy as Watford. Supposedly about to sack Nigel Pearson who has won two games out of their last three and got them off rock bottom and out of the relegation places with two games to go and a game in hand over two of the bottom three. He was their third manager this season.