National News Covidiots.....

Has anyone actually gone to a pub today?
Yes, two of us called in to the local cricket club, sat outside looking over the Pennines towards Greater Manchester and enjoyed 3 pints each. Signed in at the door and tracked through a one-way system as pints were poured then paid at the end of the bar and took the plastic glasses outside. Thoroughly enjoyable. Although it was ‘members only’ there were clearly negotiations taking place around how ‘lapsed’ members could get hold of membership cards. Showed my membership card on two separate occasions as committee members were doing their level best to ensure guidelines were being followed. I love the formal legitimate/informal dubious systems in play. One rule for some....

Yes, two of us called in to the local cricket club, sat outside looking over the Pennines towards Greater Manchester and enjoyed 3 pints each. Signed in at the door and tracked through a one-way system as pints were poured then paid at the end of the bar and took the plastic glasses outside. Thoroughly enjoyable. Although it was ‘members only’ there were clearly negotiations taking place around how ‘lapsed’ members could get hold of membership cards. Showed my membership card on two separate occasions as committee members were doing their level best to ensure guidelines were being followed. I love the formal legitimate/informal dubious systems in play. One rule for some....
Has your club been given any indication on when some games may be allowed to take place? Tough times for grass-roots cricket. At least they can get the bar open now for a bit of income.

Seems they were "out in force" outside of the exclusion zone.

1593942116137.png

Attachments

• 1593942056600.png
    1593942056600.png
    465.8 KB · Views: 12
I did hear that there was Fisticuffs outside the pubs on the cowley Road early last night from a few people on the lash all day. Not for me thanks.

I did hear that there was Fisticuffs outside the pubs on the cowley Road early last night from a few people on the lash all day. Not for me thanks.

Considering the propensity of homeless people on Cowley Road, be they mentally unwell, substance absuers or a bit of both, throwing in a few lager louts isn't likely to change the amount of work the authorities have to do down there. It's always a losing battle.

Has your club been given any indication on when some games may be allowed to take place? Tough times for grass-roots cricket. At least they can get the bar open now for a bit of income.
Still in negotiations apparently, aiming towards mid-August with probably a ‘mini-league’ seems to be current thinking.

Still in negotiations apparently, aiming towards mid-August with probably a ‘mini-league’ seems to be current thinking.

Announcement from an umpiring colleague in the senior Yorkshire leagues thus, apparently a nationwide thing:

Was an announcement yesterday (Friday 03.07) that we could play 'adaptive cricket' from next Saturday, but we won't find out what 'adaptive cricket' looks like until early next week. Apparently it is a 40+ page document of guidance! We have also had a 'How to prepare your ground and clubhouse' document which is very demanding, so who knows what will happen?

Actually everyone should cover themselves I proper way to take precautions from this Virus named Corona.

Has anyone actually gone to a pub today?

I sure did. What’s the problem with that? Social distancing rules in place. Hand sanitizer everywhere. Folk sitting side by side rather than facing the each other. And beer. [emoji2371]

• React
Reactions: m
So it’s two weeks since the Bournemouth beach invasion. Haven’t seen any news stories of related outbreaks.
What happened ?
Ok WHO scientists are now asking for research into the virus floating around in the air apart from coughing and sneezing.
But the beach spread hasn’t happened has it ?

So it’s two weeks since the Bournemouth beach invasion. Haven’t seen any news stories of related outbreaks.
What happened ?
Ok WHO scientists are now asking for research into the virus floating around in the air apart from coughing and sneezing.

The difficulty is that for many younger people symptoms are either not evident or fairly minor, and consequently may not be tested.

It's entirely possible that huge numbers have been infected but figures may not increase until secondary infections happen to others who have come into contact with those beach users.

Of course, it may also mean that infection levels are much lower than previously expected, and that can only be a great thing.

What happened ?
Thankfully it doesn't seem to have. Although the people on those beaches were from all over, so they would have been 'diluted' within the general population.
On the other hand, the figures from the USA (where people have been much more lax in general) and Brazil (where the president is a bit of a macho nut job in the Trump mould) are fairly frightening.
It's fairly obvious that the scientists are a way off understanding exactly how this spreads and why it seems to affect different people in very different ways. I think all we can do is take as much care as we can and cross our fingers.

Back
Top Bottom