National News Covidiots.....

I want to know why we have so many essential key workers this time around.

To be fair, more places are open. More businesses are described as essential, plus you can do click and collect or takeaway services which need more staff. But, slightly selfishly, I do think there's a difference between doing a job that's essential for the safety of others, and doing takeaway coffees etc!

The reason for more “key/critical” workers this time round is the rather vague/open to interpretation which can be found on the government website.

As far as I’m aware (and I’ve looked into it for my own work) there’s no formal test/proof required. If there is then it’s very difficult to find! Some educational facilities have introduced their own parameters which includes naming the company you work for etc. but it appears very vague to me.

As has been a running theme through the handling of this pandemic the poor communication, guidance instead of rules and so on continues to cause issues and enables people (wrongly) to circumvent them should they wish to do so.

I’m sure there’s enough overpaid pen pushers in this government that they could have assigned someone to actually list job roles/titles/companies that would be defined as critical.

The real covidiots are a government that doesn't pay proper sick pay, meaning millions can't afford to self-isolate.

The roads on my commute this morning seemed as busy as before Xmas, seems plenty of people are still going to work. To be fair most jobs can’t be done done from home, if your work place is open then you are going to go in.

Seen stories from in the press saying this will flatten the curve but not reduce it, I reckon it will get the numbers down a bit but as they are so high it’s not going to stop the large number of hospitalisations and deaths.

The roads on my commute this morning seemed as busy as before Xmas, seems plenty of people are still going to work. To be fair most jobs can’t be done done from home, if your work place is open then you are going to go in.

Seen stories from in the press saying this will flatten the curve but not reduce it, I reckon it will get the numbers down a bit but as they are so high it’s not going to stop the large number of hospitalisations and deaths.
And here is the problem..... and how to deal with it.

The roads have been busy even at the weekend! People must be really desperate to drive to the garden centre, B&M or B&Q!! It's definitely nowhere near as quiet as Lockdown 1. I'm not sure whether most jobs can't be done from home or whether employers and individuals are making a choice.

My brother is accountant/finance person for a manufacturing company in Bedford. He has been told in no uncertain terms that he has to go to the office to work. My brother in-law works for one of the multinational investment banks in London and hasn't had to visit the office once since March 2020.

It's difficult to get any stats but on the .gov website there's a breakdown of employment by occupation from 2018:

Professional: 21%
Technical: 15%
Management: 11%
Administrative: 10%
Skilled Trades: 10%
Elementary/Low skilled: 10%
Care/Leisure/Other Service: 9%
Customer Service & Sales: 8%
Process/Machine Operatives: 8%

It's pretty vague granted, but I'd argue that a lot more jobs could be done from home than perhaps are.

The roads have been busy even at the weekend! People must be really desperate to drive to the garden centre, B&M or B&Q!! It's definitely nowhere near as quiet as Lockdown 1. I'm not sure whether most jobs can't be done from home or whether employers and individuals are making a choice.

My brother is accountant/finance person for a manufacturing company in Bedford. He has been told in no uncertain terms that he has to go to the office to work. My brother in-law works for one of the multinational investment banks in London and hasn't had to visit the office once since March 2020.

It's difficult to get any stats but on the .gov website there's a breakdown of employment by occupation from 2018:

It's pretty vague granted, but I'd argue that a lot more jobs could be done from home than perhaps are.
My brother-in-law drives for a living and has noticed no discernible reduction in traffic since the most recent restrictions came in. My guess would be that many have taken their eye off the Covid ball since vaccinations started, thinking we'll all be immune soon so let's carry on as we like.

Some insist the 'stay at home' message is clear and unequivocal, but obviously it isn't. Derbyshire police have been criticised for fining two women who drove five miles to go for a walk. That force considered their interpretation of the 'rules' to be fair and therefore enforceable. Others disagreed.

Nail on the head there @carefreeoufc re employers ignoring the work from home unless you cannot work from home gov advice- profit over people perhaps?

Another example- estate agents and new build, on site sales showroom offices, .... gov see them / lump them in as 'construction' so employers exploit that! - during lockdown 1 last spring, estate agents & new build site sales office employees worked from home as required .... this lockdown those employed by estate agents & new build sales companies have been pressurised, co-erced and bullied into going into work by ( greedy) employers. IMO couldn't they have complied with the stay at home, work from home until at least schools are (deemed) safe to reopen?

Im sure there are many more examples of Employers pressurising employees to go against gov advise to stay at home and work from home too?

Last edited:
And here is the problem..... and how to deal with it.
People driving in their own cars is not spreading the virus, it’s when people mix that spreads it. So having hundreds if not thousands of people doing exercise locally e.g. mixing more rather than some getting in cars and exercising in more open spaces is spreading the virus.

People driving in their own cars is not spreading the virus, it’s when people mix that spreads it. So having hundreds if not thousands of people doing exercise locally e.g. mixing more rather than some getting in cars and exercising in more open spaces is spreading the virus.
Or more realistically, having a handful of people walking around thir own estate is much safer than hundreds driving to a nearby beauty spot and mixing.

A bit like the Marine fans welcoming the spuds coach yesterday. People driving cars shouldn’t be an issue about spreading the virus but like me I live in a decent small village and can walk around for and hour or so as per my allowed exercise, but driving miles to take exercise is a bit different unless you’re living in a city centre, although the people that drove 130 miles to exercise in Snowdonia a bit much.

That must be alright as they’ve just travelled for exercise.....well that’s what some would have you believed. People need to wake up.
It's called Bleaklow Moor for a reason.... It's probably the worst area in the Peaks to cross in bad weather. They are lucky to be alive

Back
Top Bottom