National News Covidiots.....

My local social club have just released there rules regarding re-opening. No limited numbers in club, they will be showing live sport but no one is allowed to stand and no one is allowed to sing and chant. So the place is going to be full of Pompey fans and heaven forbid they score a last min winner, do you think that they will sit there and just politely applaud. I think not. Will i be watching it with them, not a chance not safe.
Mind if we beat them it could be fun lol

that wouldn't happen to be Moneyfields would it?

No Sarge. Its a local one close to where I live, but close enough to see the glare of the floodlights from Fratton on an evening game.

was enquiring re Moneyfields as Ive DJd a couple of rare soul events there , and covered 5 or 6 regional, weekend scooter rallys there too ... Moneyfields is close-ish to Fratton park isn't it? ( can recall many of the 'locals/ social club members at the events Ive worked there, were wearing Pompey replica shirts in the members bar )

Is it just me, or is it insane to re-open the pubs on a Saturday? Surely the whole Bournemouth fiasco goes to show that, as a nation, we're a bit sh*t about containing ourselves. Surely opening on a Monday to allow those who can't do without to fulfill their need before the weekend rush would've been more sensible?

I'm not looking forward to the headlines on Sunday!

Is it just me, or is it insane to re-open the pubs on a Saturday? Surely the whole Bournemouth fiasco goes to show that, as a nation, we're a bit sh*t about containing ourselves. Surely opening on a Monday to allow those who can't do without to fulfill their need before the weekend rush would've been more sensible?

I'm not looking forward to the headlines on Sunday!

I tentatively agree @brokeandobscure .... its a shame that our glorious leader and his cohorts cant/dont/wont show some of that common sense they're forever spouting on about once in a while

though it'll be 'interesting' when all the karens heading off 'out out' with the girls on Saturday, realise that pub measures of a glass of wine are way, way, way smaller than what they've gotten used to over the past 12 weeks :sneaky:

was enquiring re Moneyfields as Ive DJd a couple of rare soul events there , and covered 5 or 6 regional, weekend scooter rallys there too ... Moneyfields is close-ish to Fratton park isn't it? ( can recall many of the 'locals/ social club members at the events Ive worked there, were wearing Pompey replica shirts in the members bar )

Yes sarge not far. Pompey ladies played there for a few years.

I tentatively agree @brokeandobscure .... its a shame that our glorious leader and his cohorts cant/dont/wont show some of that common sense they're forever spouting on about once in a while

though it'll be 'interesting' when all the karens heading off 'out out' with the girls on Saturday, realise that pub measures of a glass of wine are way, way, way smaller than what they've gotten used to over the past 12 weeks :sneaky:

agreed. it's going to be carnage!

Leicester lock down for 2 weeks? Hmmm but Leicester city football club isn’t, we saw a woman who’s opening up of her buisiness almost in tears as she couldn’t open , I hope she gives the council s**t. The game should have been postponed forn2 weeks.......that’s what this is all about COVID-19 is a hidden virus.

Leicester lock down for 2 weeks? Hmmm but Leicester city football club isn’t, we saw a woman who’s opening up of her buisiness almost in tears as she couldn’t open , I hope she gives the council s**t. The game should have been postponed forn2 weeks.......that’s what this is all about COVID-19 is a hidden virus.

Eh? It was Govt, not the Council's decision. Matt Hancock told the Mayor late yesterday what Leicester was going to do because of the local outbreak. This was from Newsnight.

Eh? It was Govt, not the Council's decision. Matt Hancock told the Mayor late yesterday what Leicester was going to do because of the local outbreak. This was from Newsnight.
So the Leicester v palace games shouldn’t go ahead, and yes she should give the council shot and they can then in turn give Hancock s**t.

So the Leicester v palace games shouldn’t go ahead, and yes she should give the council shot and they can then in turn give Hancock s**t.

So the Council should get s**t for a decision they didn't make? Very weird logic.

Just to emphasise that the Govt made this decision and do you really think the Govt would care if a Council gave them s**t? It didn't stop Coalition and Tory Govts implementing austerity after all, however much the Councils pointed out the problems it would, and has, caused.

As an aside, bar the obvious implementation problems as pointed out elsewhere, I think the Govt's idea is the right one considering the spike.

Yes but the weather forecast made it clear what was going to happen as it had already happened in earlier sunny/warm spells. And as we are still in a pandemic, now is better to err on the side of caution. Why aren't football crowds allowed back, why should those unlikely to get it be stopped from watching it live as that is the same argument?

And again, you assume the Local Authorities/Police had the resources, based on cuts under austerity I'd be surprised if they had the resources to deal with 500k, throughout the whole of Dorset, nevermind just Bournemouth. Especially as a number of Local Councils are already having discussions about declaring bankruptcy (from Public Finance, CIPFA trade magazine) so with the additional costs/reduced income due to Covid-19, they won't have any spare resources. The additional Govt help is at best projected to cover half the Councils losses from C19 alone.

They were warned about the potential the day before. Nothing short of the Army with a little help from nearby Bovington would have helped police that number. The problem should have been sorted the day before by shutting the car parks. That would have allowed the locals to visit the beach without having to put up with the hordes from London and the Midlands clogging the place up with litter and their complete disregard for dangers of Covid and the basic rules of social distancing. Dear God there were 3 mile queues on the M27, even the most brain dead would have thought about coming down if they had nowhere to park.
My concern is what happens when the pubs open. Only thing worse than a covidiot is a drunk one, and just when I had got used to walking around town without having to sidestep vomit, urine drenched doorways and smashed glass on the road and paths.
And to think they kept gymnasiums and swimming pools shut even though anyone knows that social distancing and hand hygiene is far easier there than in pubs. Exept the governement obviously.

So the Council should get s**t for a decision they didn't make? Very weird logic.

Just to emphasise that the Govt made this decision and do you really think the Govt would care if a Council gave them s**t? It didn't stop Coalition and Tory Govts implementing austerity after all, however much the Councils pointed out the problems it would, and has, caused.

As an aside, bar the obvious implementation problems as pointed out elsewhere, I think the Govt's idea is the right one considering the spike.
And the point o was making is why is the football match going on if the city is in lockdown,

also as an aside giving the council s**t isn’t a bad idea as most of the councils up and down the country give bad ideas.

And as a second aside you moaned about the austerity we’ve just come out of and you think that was bad would you not think the austerity we will face when this virus is more or less contained won’t be just as bad If not worse than the last one?

They were warned about the potential the day before. Nothing short of the Army with a little help from nearby Bovington would have helped police that number. The problem should have been sorted the day before by shutting the car parks. That would have allowed the locals to visit the beach without having to put up with the hordes from London and the Midlands clogging the place up with litter and their complete disregard for dangers of Covid and the basic rules of social distancing. Dear God there were 3 mile queues on the M27, even the most brain dead would have thought about coming down if they had nowhere to park.
My concern is what happens when the pubs open. Only thing worse than a covidiot is a drunk one, and just when I had got used to walking around town without having to sidestep vomit, urine drenched doorways and smashed glass on the road and paths.
And to think they kept gymnasiums and swimming pools shut even though anyone knows that social distancing and hand hygiene is far easier there than in pubs. Exept the governement obviously.
And to add to your comment about the pubs opening.....I think the police will be very busy.

Gyms??? sweaty places where people use the same aparatus and are in close proximity....swimming??? bodily fluids from mouth etc ;)....changing rooms/toilets touched.........A FOOTBALL MATCH.....ALL involved are tested NO members of the public will be present..........and...WHY should locals be allowed to visit the beach??? if its shut then its SHUT imo.

It's easy really. Space the equipment and clean after each use. Use readily available hand gel and limit numbers. Wash hands after using the toilet and socially distance in the changing room. Not sure but would imagine chlorinated water would sort out most of the virus.
Not suggesting beaches are shut. Why should local people not enjoy their environment in much the same way I can enjoy Salisbury Plain.

And the point o was making is why is the football match going on if the city is in lockdown,

also as an aside giving the council s**t isn’t a bad idea as most of the councils up and down the country give bad ideas.

And as a second aside you moaned about the austerity we’ve just come out of and you think that was bad would you not think the austerity we will face when this virus is more or less contained won’t be just as bad If not worse than the last one?

And the Council decide on football games do they? Also, those people involved will already be isolated from the general population so won't get it or pass it on. Again you abdicate the responsibility from those who made the decision though.

Councils get things wrong but they get a lot right as well. I assume you think all businesses and individuals who make errors should be given "s**t" I assume all the time. Or is it just Councils who have had their budgets slashed as they took the brunt of austerity. Try finding out how much the budgets have been cut from 2010 to now and hence why 1 has gone bust and others are teetering on the edge.

On your question, Johnson has already said there won't be more austerity and going heavy on infrastructure spending to get the economy going, so depends if you trust his words or not:

How the spending is recuperated or is absorbed into long term financial planning is yet to be seen as we are one of many countries doing the same and so may become the new normal. As it is we are borrowing the money but it is mostly from the Bank of England who are printing new money to be leant so the test will be how the markets see it medium to long term.

• React
Reactions: QR
And the Council decide on football games do they? Also, those people involved will already be isolated from the general population so won't get it or pass it on. Again you abdicate the responsibility from those who made the decision though.

Councils get things wrong but they get a lot right as well. I assume you think all businesses and individuals who make errors should be given "s**t" I assume all the time. Or is it just Councils who have had their budgets slashed as they took the brunt of austerity. Try finding out how much the budgets have been cut from 2010 to now and hence why 1 has gone bust and others are teetering on the edge.

On your question, Johnson has already said there won't be more austerity and going heavy on infrastructure spending to get the economy going, so depends if you trust his words or not:

How the spending is recuperated or is absorbed into long term financial planning is yet to be seen as we are one of many countries doing the same and so may become the new normal. As it is we are borrowing the money but it is mostly from the Bank of England who are printing new money to be leant so the test will be how the markets see it medium to long term.
Ok billions spent to help everyone well almost during this global pandemic. Ok no austerity tax increases? Something will have to be done to reclaim what has been spent, investing Heavy on infrastructure to kick start the economy may help but I do believe those who have had 80% of their wage should have to realise that it maybe free money now but nothing is free.

Regarding the football it’s a P**s take that they should be allowed to play a game in a town that is in another lockdown. Obviously a lot of this is down to money.

The austerity we have just come out of was because of the financial panic during the crippling economic downturn in 2008 and I am concerned that this time now is worse than in 2008.

Back
Top Bottom