National News Covidiots.....

Based on previous pages on here, various media reports (or are they just lying, negative buggers?) and limited personal observations, one thing is clear - we are not 'all in this together'. Too much selfishness, too much ignorance, too much entitlement (at least in the past week) to do what you want in spite of the rules in place and the continuing pandemic.

I'll wager some of those who spent ten weeks clapping on a Thursday are now (and probably always have been) ignoring instructions, acting irresponsibly while persuading themselves and their associates that they're doing nothing wrong.

The moronic element will not change. The majority have no choice but to suffer them and do what we can to keep Covid-19 at bay. When / if this is all over, however, we shouldn't pretend we beat it in some show of national unity.

Christ, I've depressed myself now, but this saga has divided the country between those who care and those who really don't.

Based on previous pages on here, various media reports (or are they just lying, negative buggers?) and limited personal observations, one thing is clear - we are not 'all in this together'. Too much selfishness, too much ignorance, too much entitlement (at least in the past week) to do what you want in spite of the rules in place and the continuing pandemic.

I'll wager some of those who spent ten weeks clapping on a Thursday are now (and probably always have been) ignoring instructions, acting irresponsibly while persuading themselves and their associates that they're doing nothing wrong.

The moronic element will not change. The majority have no choice but to suffer them and do what we can to keep Covid-19 at bay. When / if this is all over, however, we shouldn't pretend we beat it in some show of national unity.

Christ, I've depressed myself now, but this saga has divided the country between those who care and those who really don't.
All too true.
The "I'm alright Jack" thinkers have started to come to the fore. More and more I'm coming to the conviction that because it hasn't happened to them, or anyone they know, it's therefore not going to happen. Far too many appear convinced that it's all an "old people's" disease and that because they are under 40, they are immune.
One of my neighbours works in a care home as an administrator, told me just yesterday that she still hadn't been tested but they had no cases of Covid -19 in her home and, in the next breath, told me how pleased she was to have had her two grandchildren over for a "sleep over" the day before! Utter madness.

Whilst I might have the core belief that you make your own luck in life, the amount of dumb clucks out there is truly staggering.

And you can`t blame "The Government" for stupid people.

They could, and do, advise people that jumping off things can cause serious harm or death.........doesn`t stop them trying.

Just because you can do something doesn`t mean you shouldn`t apply your own common sense.

Hi Pete,

This is what I tried to say last week or the week before (together with my tongue in cheek Conservative vs Labour comment).

From afar, but I still know a lot of people in the UK, colleagues, friends, up and down the country, I could see they weren't taking the impact seriously.

I feel this is an inherent "British" trait and that any government (I actually done like Johnson because of his Brexit stance) could enforce more stricter measures.

I often quote what was done here, and I doubt whether the British people would have accepted it there. From Mid March:

Borders shut and quarantine in a hotel for 14 days on arrival.
Unless a critical worker, you have to work from home.
1 person allowed out of the house once a week for groceries, no walking, exercise, etc
Only 1 person in a car, 2 for Grab/Uber
No interstate travel (ie, you cannot drive from Oxfordshire to Warwickshire unless for authorised purpose)
Restricted to within 10km of your home
Restaurants can only do delivery/take away
The police and Army were out in force, checking drivers, premises, people fined and arrested including politicians.

Hi Pete,

This is what I tried to say last week or the week before (together with my tongue in cheek Conservative vs Labour comment).

From afar, but I still know a lot of people in the UK, colleagues, friends, up and down the country, I could see they weren't taking the impact seriously.

I feel this is an inherent "British" trait and that any government (I actually done like Johnson because of his Brexit stance) could enforce more stricter measures.

I often quote what was done here, and I doubt whether the British people would have accepted it there. From Mid March:

1 person allowed out of the house once a week for groceries, no walking, exercise, etc
No interstate travel (ie, you cannot drive from Oxfordshire to Warwickshire unless for authorised purpose)
The police and Army were out in force, checking drivers, premises, people fined and arrested including politicians.
Hi HKY. Thanks for this, and the pessimist (realist?) in me thinks lock down will be reintroduced in the coming weeks. I get the economy versus pandemic dilemma, but maybe we're going just a little too fast towards 'normality'?

Tvp have dropped to 5th place from the top slot this time last month , for fines issued for lockdown breaches

Guess , like offences at and around football, application and interpretation of what consitutes an offence differs from police authority to police authority (Durham being rather forgiving where issuing fines for lockdown breaches for instance)

Hi Pete,

Of course, we will never know, but I think people *would* have accepted those measures.
For the majority, they were (and still are) staying at home except for going food shopping when they had to - so many of those restrictions would have made no difference. Many have been saying for months that the borders should have been shut apart from those being repatriated, for example. They *still* are not.
Are British people much different than other people all over the world? Not very - I do think we should have locked down harder and quicker, and although I am sure some people would have moaned, we would have got on with it. With the added benefit that it would have been very, very clear what you would be allowed to do and not do.
Look at the state of what is happening in the UK now. All a result of mixed messages and 'giving people an inch'.

Agree with all who say that personal responsibility should be the end-all. Like others on here it is for me.

That said, it's an absolutely incontrovertible fact that Cummings and subsequently Johnson's actions WILL HAVE MADE THINGS WORSE.

I'm not defending covidiocy actions and I'm not exonerting them, just stating a simple fact. Some people - and you could pointlessly debate the number all day long - will be saying to themselves 'If it's alright doe them, it's alright for me'.

Hi HKY. Thanks for this, and the pessimist (realist?) in me thinks lock down will be reintroduced in the coming weeks. I get the economy versus pandemic dilemma, but maybe we're going just a little too fast towards 'normality'?

I totally agree with you, but its not only the UK and the US, India as well despite number climbing and also Philippines despite record numbers. The whole world has gone mad!

Agree with all who say that personal responsibility should be the end-all. Like others on here it is for me.

That said, it's an absolutely incontrovertible fact that Cummings and subsequently Johnson's actions WILL HAVE MADE THINGS WORSE.

I'm not defending covidiocy actions and I'm not exonerting them, just stating a simple fact. Some people - and you could pointlessly debate the number all day long - will be saying to themselves 'If it's alright doe them, it's alright for me'.

Think it was on bbc south local news over the weekend, leader of Bournemouth council was filmed despairing at the lack of social distancing and the sheer amount of people on Bournemouth beach, she, B'mouth Council leader, was picking up litter and generally admonishing anyone and everyone in earshot ( possibly for the benefit of the cameras, though she definitely had a point), in the early evening report , 'its alright for the government so its alright for everyone' was heard as an anonymous (male) response - the late evening news , an edited/shorter version of the same report, didnt include that particular part of the report

Which, the early eve' report, kind of confirms @m's above comment re Cummings/ Johnson- not that it needs any confirmation IMO

Whilst I might have the core belief that you make your own luck in life, the amount of dumb clucks out there is truly staggering.

And you can`t blame "The Government" for stupid people.

They could, and do, advise people that jumping off things can cause serious harm or death.........doesn`t stop them trying.

Just because you can do something doesn`t mean you shouldn`t apply your own common sense.

The Govt can be blamed for setting the "mood music" however and giving the dickheads the implicit approval to be dickheads. The defend Cummings at all costs coupled with telling people you are going to relax rules for Monday onwards on the Thursday before a weekend with glorious weather coming up.

Of course, we will never know, but I think people *would* have accepted those measures.
For the majority, they were (and still are) staying at home except for going food shopping when they had to - so many of those restrictions would have made no difference. Many have been saying for months that the borders should have been shut apart from those being repatriated, for example. They *still* are not.
Are British people much different than other people all over the world? Not very - I do think we should have locked down harder and quicker, and although I am sure some people would have moaned, we would have got on with it. With the added benefit that it would have been very, very clear what you would be allowed to do and not do.
Look at the state of what is happening in the UK now. All a result of mixed messages and 'giving people an inch'.

Hey ZTH,

Yes some people here tried there luck to take the proverbial, but the police were very direct (and its helps with an Army guy standing behind with an M16). They didnt give a toss who you were or who you knew, they turned you around and latterly they increased the penalty to upto 1000GBP and 6 months in jail.

I believe the vast majority of Covidiots will act in a selfish manner regardless of what any politician does or doesn’t do. The action of a politician doesn’t influence their selfish Covidiot behaviour. They are perfectly aware of the rules/recommendations.

However they will consciously use the inappropriate actions of high profile figures to justify their own selfish behaviour.

Once a Covidiot, always a Covidiot.

Hi Pete,

I’d agree with this from an aussie perspective, even though you might stereotypically expect Aussies to be more bolshy. Our measures were quite hard and quite early. There was an anti-lockdown protest in Perth which wa attended by 3 people. There were a couple of high visibility covidiot incidents (bondi beach), which actually weren’t that bad, but the Sydney beaches got closed because of them. Most of the breaches I’ve seen have been thoughtless rather than mindless.
The impression I get from afar is that there is substantial culture of entitled “B*****s I’ll do what I want” - not suggesting anyone on here, but in parts of the population.

I’ve voted for Boris because in my view he will get brexit done, unfortunately we have a problem now, it’s called COVID-19. So now Brexit is for the time being yesterday’s news, so Boris has now got to deal with a very serious problem and in fairness he and Rishi have done a good job over the furlough scheme and self employed and businesses and financial support, but Boris like Tony Blair have arseholes no not their own one was called Campbell the other is called Cummings. Cummings helps draw up a plan over lockdown rules that with me being vulnerable I have adhered to but I’ve no idea what I’m supposed to be able to do, now I can go out meet one person, but what else? Now we have idiots sorry Covidiots with attitudes of selfishness.
Apparently the governments own advisors are saying that the ease of lockdown is to soon the unions are saying its to soon for schools to reopen.
someone big buisness the media appear to be guiding the government. The government have listened to their scientists But now they don’t seem to be.

what now for those idiots who haven’t been social distancing,“ sorry boss I’ve got to social distance for a week “ “ why what happened “ “ went to the beach with the family yesterday and it was heaving and no b****r social distanced “

then we have a 2nd spike another more extreme lockdown unfortunately that person's job won’t be their when he’s out of isolating as his company couldn’t afford to shut down again.

Back
Top Bottom