National News Covidiots.....

Do you remember when Duran Duran would fly off around the world to film their videos in various luxury locations?

Now Sneakbo (me neither!) is filming his in Aylesbury!!!

That was a depressing wasteland BEFORE the global pandemic!!

Oi! That’s my (former) hometown you’re talking about.....at least get it right, a total shitehole of a place is more apt. ?

Do you remember when Duran Duran would fly off around the world to film their videos in various luxury locations?

Now Sneakbo (me neither!) is filming his in Aylesbury!!!

That was a depressing wasteland BEFORE the global pandemic!!
Good enough for them to film some scenes of A Clockwork Orange though.....erm...

Meanwhile back in the real world.

My next door neighbour, 85 years old and fiercely independent, was in the last week of a two-month stay with her son in Cape Town when she was hit with their virus lockdown. During the lockdown she had only been allowed out to walk round inside the Pinehurst Mall. On Wednesday, two months later, she got a place on a UKGOV repatriation flight home. She took the bus to Cape Town Airport, where a temperature-checker was waved at her forehead. She sat in the departure lounge for three hours with another 7 jumbo-loads of passengers, then sat on a full plane home, then breezed through Heathrow and got a pre-booked taxi back to Hampshire. At no time did anyone give her any UK Virus info, written or verbal.

On Thursday morning she called the AA Man to start her car. He wore no PPE and when she asked him to help her start her mower while he was there they stood together in her garage. She then took her car on a half hour drive. She then called in a Plumber to fix a leaking ballcock, he wore no PPE and they were together in the bungalow for an hour. She then called in a Roofer to give her a quote for a chimney repair, he wore no PPE and was there 30 minutes. She then brought out a gift for Mrs HG that she had brought back from Cape Town. Un-bagged, un-washed, un-sanitised and in her bare hands. She was then most offended when Mrs HG wouldn’t accept it even with gloves on.

So we remain OK for now (Mrs HG is shielding) but those three tradesmen will have gone on to visit numerous other old folk across the county. Now the AA Man and the plumber might have washed their hands carefully in their vans after their visits but I know that the Roofer didn't because I met him later (he was on a nearby roof) and I asked him. His reply was that 'it was too late to worry about that sort of thing'. Barking.

Considering the vitriol from the Mail last week, this is illuminating... If only Pippa Crerar had done more journalising at the beginning eh?

When it comes to European travel this summer it looks like we are being treated like some kind of offshore leper colony by most of continental Europe. On the bright side we will be welcome in France, Italy, Spain and Sweden, as long as you don't mind the two weeks quarantine on return.

I notice that the Daily Mail failed to mention that MP Rosie Duffield has resigned from her front bench post.
Held her hands up to her lockdown lapse and did the decent/right thing and resigned her position as Labour whip

• React
Reactions: QR
Meanwhile back in the real world.

My next door neighbour, 85 years old and fiercely independent, was in the last week of a two-month stay with her son in Cape Town when she was hit with their virus lockdown. During the lockdown she had only been allowed out to walk round inside the Pinehurst Mall. On Wednesday, two months later, she got a place on a UKGOV repatriation flight home. She took the bus to Cape Town Airport, where a temperature-checker was waved at her forehead. She sat in the departure lounge for three hours with another 7 jumbo-loads of passengers, then sat on a full plane home, then breezed through Heathrow and got a pre-booked taxi back to Hampshire. At no time did anyone give her any UK Virus info, written or verbal.

On Thursday morning she called the AA Man to start her car. He wore no PPE and when she asked him to help her start her mower while he was there they stood together in her garage. She then took her car on a half hour drive. She then called in a Plumber to fix a leaking ballcock, he wore no PPE and they were together in the bungalow for an hour. She then called in a Roofer to give her a quote for a chimney repair, he wore no PPE and was there 30 minutes. She then brought out a gift for Mrs HG that she had brought back from Cape Town. Un-bagged, un-washed, un-sanitised and in her bare hands. She was then most offended when Mrs HG wouldn’t accept it even with gloves on.

So we remain OK for now (Mrs HG is shielding) but those three tradesmen will have gone on to visit numerous other old folk across the county. Now the AA Man and the plumber might have washed their hands carefully in their vans after their visits but I know that the Roofer didn't because I met him later (he was on a nearby roof) and I asked him. His reply was that 'it was too late to worry about that sort of thing'. Barking.
i
It's exactly how Johnson and Cummings want us to behave.

The easing of the lock down (and the sudden announcement that vulnerable people can go out on Monday!) does not seem to be supported by the numbers. There are thousands of new cases being caught by testing (which must surely mean there are tens of thousands of new cases per day in the general population) and hundreds are still dying.

A virologist on R4 this morning opined that he'd want to see new cases in the low hundreds and deaths in low double figures before the lock down was relaxed at all. And on the government's own five step scale they claim we are still in step 4 - and also claimed in the past that the easing of restrictions would only be when we got to step 3, so it looks like they have abandoned that approach.

It seems like a gamble for political reasons. Let's hope it works and thousands more people don't end up paying the ultimate price.

Considering the vitriol from the Mail last week, this is illuminating... If only Pippa Crerar had done more journalising at the beginning eh?

Even by the Daily Mail's standards that article is a piece of s**t.

Obviously the doctors at local level are giving different advice on the ground to that being given by the government.

My mum in Cornwall (well but elderly, a bit asthmatic, had a heart operation) phoned her doctor after the 'ease of the lock down' announcement.

'Can I go out?'
'Have you had an asthma attack in the last year?"
"No."
"Do you drive?"
"Yes."
"Then you can go out in your car for a drive. Keep the windows up and don't get out, just drive about and then go straight home. On no account get out, especially at a supermarket or garden centre."

Since the places she quite fancied going were the supermarket and the garden centre, that should keep her in for a couple of weeks. Thank you doctor!

Back
Top Bottom