International News Covid Passport....

Will be a bit harsh before then if all the 80 year olds are allowed in to Wetherspoons and the 20 year olds can't go in... Who will drink all the jugs of shite cocktails?
I got table bombed at Spoons once. Someone knew where I was and what table I was at and sent me a couple of pitchers of fruity nonsense. My mate and I used them to turn our pints of cider into an appalling variation on a cider and black, filmed ourselves drinking them to send to the culprit, then downed what was left and fucked off to another pub. Couple of old fellas were watching from a few tables away and looked positively disgusted with every aspect of what was going on. Probably thought we were off to have a smooch in a phone box.

Can’t wait to safely get back to the pub.

When everyone has been offered a jab, then yes I agree with you. Will be a bit harsh before then if all the 80 year olds are allowed in to Wetherspoons and the 20 year olds can't go in... Who will drink all the jugs of shite cocktails?
Yeah yeah I mean when it’s been offered to everyone. The kids are happier at home on their phones anyway

Sounds a bit Big Brother (the novel not the tv show).

Thin end of the wedge to ID cards and being tracked for no good reason.

Every single thing you have ever looked at on the internet is stored in a file. Anything you’ve ever googled, there is a record of. They’re constantly monitoring your activity and building a profile of who you are, because that way they can sell you to advertisers and flood your devices with targeted ads. Knowing everything about you is huge business and they’ve been getting to know you for the past 20 years or more.

On top of that, if you have a mobile phone with any form of voice control functions then technically someone, somewhere can listen in to you. Ditto any form of device with a camera on it. Anything you can choose to activate can be activated remotely. That’s just how it is. I’m not saying it happens, I’m saying it can. You’ve been carrying around a camera and a microphone in your pocket for yonks.

Given all this, a Covid passport is a pretty weird hill for anyone to want to die on. I understand if someone feels as though they’re being forced to put something in their body (sort of - seems pretty selective to me though given some of the other stuff people have done to them that they know equally as little about), but the principle of “I don’t want to be monitored” doesn’t hold up at all. My only concern is that they’ll use it as an excuse to bung billions and billions of pounds more to donors, and roll it out in the form of some nonsense app that doesn’t work. The cronyism and fraud elements are infinitely more concerning to me than the thought of some pleb in a tech centre somewhere going, “Excellent, he’s gone to Nando’s followed by Vue Cinemas, I’ve got him now! Mwahahaha!”

If we need a card to go abroad to the pub or to sports game as is suggested, how come we haven’t needed one to go into supermarkets or other shops. Does the virus only come out during pub times or football matches?

Every single thing you have ever looked at on the internet is stored in a file. Anything you’ve ever googled, there is a record of. They’re constantly monitoring your activity and building a profile of who you are, because that way they can sell you to advertisers and flood your devices with targeted ads. Knowing everything about you is huge business and they’ve been getting to know you for the past 20 years or more.

On top of that, if you have a mobile phone with any form of voice control functions then technically someone, somewhere can listen in to you. Ditto any form of device with a camera on it. Anything you can choose to activate can be activated remotely. That’s just how it is. I’m not saying it happens, I’m saying it can. You’ve been carrying around a camera and a microphone in your pocket for yonks.

Given all this, a Covid passport is a pretty weird hill for anyone to want to die on. I understand if someone feels as though they’re being forced to put something in their body (sort of - seems pretty selective to me though given some of the other stuff people have done to them that they know equally as little about), but the principle of “I don’t want to be monitored” doesn’t hold up at all. My only concern is that they’ll use it as an excuse to bung billions and billions of pounds more to donors, and roll it out in the form of some nonsense app that doesn’t work. The cronyism and fraud elements are infinitely more concerning to me than the thought of some pleb in a tech centre somewhere going, “Excellent, he’s gone to Nando’s followed by Vue Cinemas, I’ve got him now! Mwahahaha!”
It's not the monitoring that bothers me, it's if they tell Mrs Lounger about it!

When everyone has been offered a jab, then yes I agree with you. Will be a bit harsh before then if all the 80 year olds are allowed in to Wetherspoons and the 20 year olds can't go in... Who will drink all the jugs of shite cocktails?
If that is the outcome, it would almost make all the pain over the last year worth it. An additional condition of returning to pubs should be the ability to buy rounds rather than having a dozen kids all blocking the bar to order individual modern day versions of Orange Reef!!!

If we need a card to go abroad to the pub or to sports game as is suggested, how come we haven’t needed one to go into supermarkets or other shops. Does the virus only come out during pub times or football matches?
If I was a virus, I certainly wouldn't be doing the weekly food shop, I'd most definitely spend my time in the pub or at football.

If that is the outcome, it would almost make all the pain over the last year worth it. An additional condition of returning to pubs should be the ability to buy rounds rather than having a dozen kids all blocking the bar to order individual modern day versions of Orange Reef!!!
To be honest, it's idiots ordering a bloody coffee at the bar which annoys me. Go to bloody Costa. Or someone buying a round of sodding Gunness, that's the bar staff tied up for the next 20 minutes...

we're already 'monitored' through the various devices we use and carry around with us (as already pointed out by others in this thread)..... I'm not against having yet another form of id imposed as a mandatory requirement to go about my business, and where I choose to go per se, ( although Id prefer not ), however this potential covid passport being 'discussed' ( some kind of proclamation on the subject by Doris tomorrow, apparently?), will very likely come at a cost to the individual- along with the accompanying all manner of form filling & hoop-jumping required to apply and be approved to (pay for &) qualify for a covid passport. Which, potentially will be required to be renewed annually, at the appropriate time? ... £50 -£250 have been suggested as the cost to the individual, by some less reported in the media, overviews.

To be honest, it's idiots ordering a bloody coffee at the bar which annoys me. Go to bloody Costa. Or someone buying a round of sodding Gunness, that's the bar staff tied up for the next 20 minutes...

Going off on a slight tangent...but sort of in keeping with @SteMerritt 's comment above^^^.... many establishments that were once upon a time, good old fashioned pubs, have become Resturants/ Eateries with massive emphasis on the food they sell, but, as they happen to have a licensed bar in a corner, they still call themselves a pub.... Which is wrong IMO ... licensed cafes is what they are, not pubs

Living in Holland I have to carry an ID card everytime I go out the door (Driving license is sufficient). Been carrying one now for more than 10 years and I have never been asked to identify myself on the street. Only when getting my covid jab or when I go to the council tip do I have to show it, in the first case to prove I'm entitled (and not jumping the queu, and in the second case as the council tip is only open for people who live in my town.

I have no problem with having an ID by me. Don't make problems where there are none to be found.

I did an asbestos awareness course on my work mobile phone yesterday and the only personal details they had of mine were my name, it was very boring so a minute into the first dull video I started browsing Facebook on my personal mobile, a quick scroll down and there was a advert for an asbestos removal company that I had never seen before. If you are on any social media, use google etc I wouldn’t worry about a Covid passport, every detail of (in my case dull) life is out there.

I still don’t like it.
I was watching a bbc show about the discovery of DNA profiling and the Colin Pitchfork case. At the time in the 80s it was suggested there would eventually be a national database of everybody’s dna profile. But somewhere along the line it was decided that this wasn’t appropriate.

So maybe in extreme circumstances the authorities can get your phone records / location and internet activity ,
But not without going through due process.
Even though it’s stored somewhere.

And to the response that “if you’ve done nothing wrong why are you afraid of being monitored”, it’s getting a bit “minority report”. Like grassing up someone who has had 7 people in the garden instead of 6.

• React
Reactions: m

I still don’t like it.
I was watching a bbc show about the discovery of DNA profiling and the Colin Pitchfork case. At the time in the 80s it was suggested there would eventually be a national database of everybody’s dna profile. But somewhere along the line it was decided that this wasn’t appropriate.

So maybe in extreme circumstances the authorities can get your phone records / location and internet activity ,
But not without going through due process.
Even though it’s stored somewhere.

And to the response that “if you’ve done nothing wrong why are you afraid of being monitored”, it’s getting a bit “minority report”. Like grassing up someone who has had 7 people in the garden instead of 6.

Back
Top Bottom