EFL Covid and the play offs

Coronavirus: UK government considering banning sporting fixtures

Worth a read. Basically the scientist guy is saying that cancelling football matches is not an effective way of stopping the spread. It seems the only reason they will do it will be to relieve pressure on emergency services. No point in making grand gestures just for the sake of it, although there is a lot of that going on (see Donald Trump). Hopefully we get to the end of the season ...

Have you seen what China did to combat COVID-19?
Basically they confined everyone in the affected areas to their homes, and had loudspeakers in the streets constantly blaring that you weren't allowed to go outside!

The British (or American) responses have been nothing like that, and still won't be even after we enter BoJo's 'delay' phase.

The only way this pandemic is over by the beginning of April is if we do go into complete lockdown mode. And that doesn't seem imminent.
You wouldn't be able to do this in the UK. People wouldn't put up with it.

After Saturday there will be 8 games left.
I think that the games need to be played behind closed doors whilst they can be played.
The league have got to try and finish the season. As Mark suggests the players contracts running out on 30 June means that this is probably the date the season has to complete.
I wonder how the licence works with Kassam? Are we able to play in June for example?
I assume that the groundsman is a little concerned if the season goes on!

8 penalty shoot outs in an afternoon? ?‍♂️

I can only see this ending behind closed doors in a compressed schedule. All up in the air as virus will rip through squads. Get as much on the board as early as possible.

No one knows. What happened when WW's broke out in terms of promotion and relegation when peace time returned. Anyone know?

When the first world war broke out 1914. the league was allowed to continue until it finished in 1915, It was then suspended until 1919.
The second world war started in 1939 after everyone had played 3 games. The season was abandoned and restarted in 1946.

No one knows. What happened when WW's broke out in terms of promotion and relegation when peace time returned. Anyone know?

I believe that the results of the war were used instead of the football, and therefore led to the chant regarding "two world wars and one world cup"

Another spanner in the works for the “just pretend everything is normal” mentality of the football authorities.

I believe that the results of the war were used instead of the football, and therefore led to the chant regarding "two world wars and one world cup"
Scummers were bottom of Div3 south when war broke out in Sept 1939. 1 pt from 3 games. Blackpool top of Div 1 - different times

Another spanner in the works for the “just pretend everything is normal” mentality of the football authorities.

Yep.

And Arteta presumably was shaking David Moyes hand last Saturday, and could have been infected back then, so Moyes and the West Ham squad should be self-isolating now as well.

I said it earlier today, and I'll say it again - they may get through this weekend's fixtures. But I see very little chance that football is still being played by the time we're supposed to go to Wycombe.

wheres the problem of extending the season into june/july/august for our league and L2?? not as if theres gonna be many playing for their country is there???

Should cancel the Euros and extend the season.

We know travelling doesn’t help the cause so cancelling the Euros would help on this mater.

Yep.

And Arteta presumably was shaking David Moyes hand last Saturday, and could have been infected back then, so Moyes and the West Ham squad should be self-isolating now as well.

I said it earlier today, and I'll say it again - they may get through this weekend's fixtures. But I see very little chance that football is still being played by the time we're supposed to go to Wycombe.

Actually, just looking at the background......if Arteta actually contracted COVID-19 because he came into contact with the Olympiakos owner - well, that happened two weeks ago.
About right for the life cycle of this virus.

And of course Arsenal's next game after that......Portsmouth. So should Kenny Jackett and their first team squad be self-isolating as well?

Football is going to have to face up very shortly to the fact that these are not normal times, and they can't just close their eyes and carry on......

Actually, just looking at the background......if Arteta actually contracted COVID-19 because he came into contact with the Olympiakos owner - well, that happened two weeks ago.
About right for the life cycle of this virus.

And of course Arsenal's next game after that......Portsmouth. So should Kenny Jackett and their first team squad be self-isolating as well?

Football is going to have to face up very shortly to the fact that these are not normal times, and they can't just close their eyes and carry on......
I bet they have a bloody good go for a while yet.

So, what the last 24 hours has basically brought home is that the barrier to playing games is not the risk of large numbers of supporters becoming infected, but the availability of the squads to fulfill the game.

This then raises the question as to whether leagues should plough on playing as many games as possible given the health of each squad, with supporters welcome, to minimise the fixture hangover once the all clear is given, or whether a blanket ban is in order, followed by a structured resumption, and then a more radical solution for the following season?

I have looked into the government data about deaths in the UK! Every week about 11000 people die of which about 1200 are caused by respiratory diseases or flu style viruses. There are constantly new viruses infecting the population and people develop the antibodies to fight them off. How often in typical winter conversations do you hear the same refrains oh I had that nasty cough/sore throat etc. That was that years version of coronavirus. In any other year Arteta would have just been reported as having flu and nobody would have thought twice about it. In the current hysterical media storm it will probably lead to everything being postponed .
Obviously if that means that the current table is the final result I would fully support that!!!

Honestly the best course of action is to stop it all now altogether imo for the safety of everyone involved scrap the season whoever is in the automatics can get promoted and whoever is next in Line can get promoted as well no need for playoffs so isle give a example top 2 in the championship be joined by 3rd top 3 in league 2 be joined by 4th for the safety of everyone of course ?

Back
Top Bottom