EFL Covid and the play offs

Grumpy Git

I have a feeling that should the Coronavirus continue to effect the nation, that the authorities will start banning fans and playing league games behind closed doors.

However, I think they might shelve the Play Offs and whoever finishes third gets promoted. They won’t want a full house at Wembleeee.

I have a feeling that should the Coronavirus continue to effect the nation, that the authorities will start banning fans and playing league games behind closed doors.

However, I think they might shelve the Play Offs and whoever finishes third gets promoted. They won’t want a full house at Wembleeee.
If they took that decision today I’d be quite happy...
Otherwise, I think it is very unfair to suddenly change the rules. Even playoffs behind closed doors would be better.

This behind closed doors business ain’t really going work is it , potentially 100’s are just going to turn up and stand outside the ground .

7d469a7bc787fc1c099e48bacb5d2481.jpg

This behind closed doors business ain’t really going work is it , potentially 100’s are just going to turn up and stand outside the ground .
If they announce it this week then it shouldn’t matter, it will be a one off. After the shitshow with Bolton, they need to be seen to be prepared.

At the moment most of the Covid 19 speculation is on closed stadiums. Interesting to note the Man City v Arsenal postponement (due to Arsenal players self isolating) which made me wonder at the point that one player has a positive test the whole squad will have to self isolate for two weeks. It is not that hard to see a situation where fixtures cannot be fulfilled and the option to lengthen the season may not be feasible (if the outbreak is ongoing). In which case they would have to determine promoted and relegated teams (or no promotion and relegation), particularly if the issues above prevented play-offs. It might be that staying in the top 3 is critical if at some point in the next two weeks the season pauses (as it has in Italy) and then ends (as many now expect it to in Italy) it could be enough to be promoted.

At the moment most of the Covid 19 speculation is on closed stadiums. Interesting to note the Man City v Arsenal postponement (due to Arsenal players self isolating) which made me wonder at the point that one player has a positive test the whole squad will have to self isolate for two weeks. It is not that hard to see a situation where fixtures cannot be fulfilled and the option to lengthen the season may not be feasible (if the outbreak is ongoing). In which case they would have to determine promoted and relegated teams (or no promotion and relegation), particularly if the issues above prevented play-offs. It might be that staying in the top 3 is critical if at some point in the next two weeks the season pauses (as it has in Italy) and then ends (as many now expect it to in Italy) it could be enough to be promoted.

That's exactly the point though, no-one knows what will happen as it's unprecedented.

Do we trust the EFL to make a sensible decision? What if the PL decides not to relegate anybody?

It might be that staying in the top 3 is critical if at some point in the next two weeks the season pauses (as it has in Italy) and then ends (as many now expect it to in Italy) it could be enough to be promoted.
The court cases would go on forever though, especially if, say, Aston Villa are relegated from the PL without the season finishing, it would cost them tens of millions.

It might be that staying in the top 3 is critical if at some point in the next two weeks the season pauses (as it has in Italy) and then ends (as many now expect it to in Italy) it could be enough to be promoted.

ab4b6c4aca8225f461c9add6e01574da.jpg

• React
Reactions: m
Virtual splinters my friend- virtual; and they’re the worst kind cosi you can’t see the b@ggers. They’ll have to remove me seat and all from my usual spot

• React
Reactions: MJB
If the outbreak continues to worsen, and you get to the point where players, refs or coaches start testing positive - then the season is going to be done.

And heaven knows what'll happen then. One thing is for certain though - the Court of Arbitration for Sport is going to be extremely busy.

I'm not saying any preventative measures would kick in immediately, but, if the season were to finish from this weekend (~36 games) and the relevant promotions / relegations made on those standings, had it been last season, we would have been relegated. At the equivalent fixture last season we lost 1-0 at Gillingham. Obviously we ultimately finished 12th which gives an idea of how unfair such a solution would be. Which isn't, of course, to say they won't do it if needs be.

Back
Top Bottom