EFL Covid and the play offs

I’m thinking about hiring a double decker bus park behind the open end and sell tickets to sit on the top deck

Perhaps we might be able to get our hands on the open-top sightseeing buses (because there'll be a drop off in tourists arriving and using them), that way if the players do achieve promotion after a home game they can pop on one of the buses and do the open-top parade there and then.

I'm really curious about the consequences were the season to be called off prematurely. I've had a flick through the EFL's rules and, unsurprisingly, there isn't any guidelines that I can see relating to what happens in the extraordinary event that a season cannot be completed with regards to final league positions, promotions, relegations, etc.

That said, Clause 6.1 clarifies that, "The League shall conduct and in every respect control each Season football competitions, being both league and cup competitions...", which would seem to be sufficient to give them final say over what happens in the event the season needs to be cut short.

In the section on Arbitration, Section 95.3 appears to indicate that clubs can only appeal against decisions of the League on grounds of, "ultra vires (including error of law); or irrationality; or procedural unfairness; and where the decision directly and foreseeably prejudices the interests of a person or persons who were in the contemplation of The League or Board." A good lawyer could presumably make a case on the grounds of irrationality or procedural unfairness (given the intrinsic subjectivity of those two terms), and obviously a relegation, or being denied the opportunity to be promoted, prejudices the interests of those clubs. This litigation would presumably take months to resolve - and I would imagine could spill over into next season, too.

I don't think the league could even defend itself by saying, what else were we supposed to do, as, as far as I am aware, the party seeking what essentially amounts to an reversal or annulment of the decision, does not have to offer alternative courses of action. It simply has to show that the decision was unfair - which relegating a team despite it still having a chance to stay up, given the matches left to play, probably is.

The "play behind closed doors" scenario won't work for long as players and staff will start to become infected themselves.

It's entirely possible that the government will rescue the PL and the EFL by imposing an end to the season under emergency powers. The PL and the EFL would presumably ask for government legal advice as to whether to declare the 2019-20 season void in terms of promotions and relegations, or to declare promotions and relegations valid on positions at the time of shutdown (though they'd presumably only be able to do this if everyone had played the same number of games).
Either option would trigger legal actions, but government advice would give the PL and EFL some reassurance.

Been speaking to my lad who works in health insurance

re covid 19

he 'wont be at all surprised' if Britain follows Italy , we are 13 days behind Italy, lockdown & suspension of sport events could be (very) likely

His employer is having every employee work from home tomorrow, to 'test' how it would be should a total lockdown be introduced. (Trial run)

the biggest issue ahead as things stand is the amount of respirators etc to aid the 15% who will be hospitalised, to breath are far, far below the number needed to cope with those affected badly enough to require help breathing

Speculatively, he, based on how his employer views things, told me its likely there will be behind closed door matches, and there may be a delay to the season ending, if things worsen so match that all matches (and sports events) are eventually , temporarily, suspended ,- for 14-21 days

of course insurers do consider the worst case scenarios ... reality at the moment, is wait and see, I suppose

The "play behind closed doors" scenario won't work for long as players and staff will start to become infected themselves.

It's entirely possible that the government will rescue the PL and the EFL by imposing an end to the season under emergency powers. The PL and the EFL would presumably ask for government legal advice as to whether to declare the 2019-20 season void in terms of promotions and relegations, or to declare promotions and relegations valid on positions at the time of shutdown (though they'd presumably only be able to do this if everyone had played the same number of games).
Either option would trigger legal actions, but government advice would give the PL and EFL some reassurance.

Which means it could work just fine for the Championship (where everyone has played 37).

But it could never work for League One, because of Bury. There's now no way you can now get everyone to the same number of games played without completing the whole season.

In theory, voiding the whole season would be the simplest approach for the PL/EFL/NL - but they can then look forward to a whopping huge lawsuit from Leeds and West Brom (and probably a tinpot one from Barrow as well).

In theory, voiding the whole season would be the simplest approach for the PL/EFL/NL - but they can then look forward to a whopping huge lawsuit from Leeds and West Brom
Imagine the size of the claim from the top 2 in the championship. What is the estimated value of PL promotion these days?

I'd much prefer a few games behind closed doors then a delay to the end of the season rather than nullifying the previous 35-odd games.

Imagine the size of the claim from the top 2 in the championship. What is the estimated value of PL promotion these days?

I'd much prefer a few games behind closed doors then a delay to the end of the season rather than nullifying the previous 35-odd games.

The solution could be delay the season until the virus calms down in the summer like experts have said will happen. Play the remaining of the season, including play offs etc. Then reaccess whether the new season can kick off in say September or October. On radio Oxford the other morning it said a vaccine should hopefully be available in June. Forget the euros they can move to next year.

Seems it's happening - and sooner than we thought:

"All football matches in England will be played behind closed doors under government plans to combat coronavirus that could be triggered as early as today.

A meeting of the government’s Cobra committee this morning is expected to move its response to the pandemic from the “contain” phase to the “delay” phase. That will result in a crisis plan being unveiled for football. The Times can reveal:

● The current season will not be postponed and instead matches in the Premier League and lower divisions will be moved behind closed doors;

● All Premier League season-ticket holders and ticket holders for individual games will be able to stream coverage of matches into their homes;

● No games will be shown in pubs so as to avoid congregation of people;

● Premier League games will not be shown live in the 3pm slot on Saturday afternoons;
● Broadcasters will be permitted to screen more than one Premier League game during both the lunchtime and tea-time television slots on Saturday, and the scheduled slots on Sundays and Mondays; and
● Season-ticket holders and ticket holders for individual games at Football League clubs will be allowed to watch matches on iFollow streams.
The plan may be implemented once the number of UK coronavirus cases passes 500. Last night it stood at 460."

It's only a matter of time before entire squads go into self quarantine.

I think the fairest option is to press pause on this season until the virus has run its course. The 2020/21 season will almost certainly start late, therefore it should be played with no cup competitions, to reduce fixture congestion.

Last edited:
Would much prefer they suspended the league for a month or two, like others have suggested. Playing matches behind closed doors is going to be really rubbish. I'm already envisioning us getting promoted on the last day and not being able to celebrate. Loada s**t.

Which means it could work just fine for the Championship (where everyone has played 37).

But it could never work for League One, because of Bury. There's now no way you can now get everyone to the same number of games played without completing the whole season.

If they went down the route of top 3 promoted on average points per game then Wycombe would currently take 3rd spot...

Posh, Coventry and Ipswich already announced playing behind closed doors :-( Expect this to be made a blanket policy later today

Last edited:
Posh, Coventry and Ipswich already announced playing behind closed doors :-( Expect this to be made a blanket policy later today

Those 3 local newspapers are quoting the times articles. No official club comments yet.

Back
Top Bottom