International News Covid-19 .....

Also worth noting that the UK and Canada have been singled out for criticism for sourcing vaccines from the COVAX programme, which was designed to ensure poorer countries could access vaccine supplies. Over half a million in our case - nearly a million for Canada.

Pretty shameful for two G7 nations.

We are also a very long way behind other developed nations on number of vaccine promised for developing countries, compared to that delivered

We are scheduled to give Covax 100 million shots by June 2022. We`ve delivered 5.1 million so far.

We`ve also administered just under 95 million doses in the UK so far so we are certainly giving as much/more than we are using.

Sometimes tough choices have to be made - give someone here a booster or give someone elsewhere their first shot? Valid points on both sides I would say.

That's not the choice.

Let's look at IPRs for vaccines. Not one of the western manufacturers (who were all funded by their governments - 97% in AstraZeneca's case) has waived IPR payments which would enable companies in 3rd World countries to manufacture vaccinations affordably and in the volume we need (to prevent the next variant).

Give a man a fish and he can eat today, teach a man to fish and he will fuck up your export markets.

We are scheduled to give Covax 100 million shots by June 2022. We`ve delivered 5.1 million so far.

We`ve also administered just under 95 million doses in the UK so far so we are certainly giving as much/more than we are using.

Sometimes tough choices have to be made - give someone here a booster or give someone elsewhere their first shot? Valid points on both sides I would say.
Why ask for any from Covax in the first place though?

And damn right we should giving more than we are using - we are still a tiny pin prick in the global scheme of things, where there is still a huge pool of unvaccinated people (the vast majority of who will have significantly poorer outcomes than if they lived in a developed country) who are a gigantic and very effective virus mutation petri-dish.

So reducing the size of that dish by vaccinating those with no protection as opposed to re-vaccinating those with some, versus allowing more Covid variants to develop (against which current vaccines may prove ineffectual) by continuing to not vaccinate those with no protection at all....I know which approach I would rather pursue if we really want to get the upper hand globally!

Doh! The penny had just dropped as to why the Tories FOR A THIRD TIME are delaying implementing covid transmission mitigation measures.

It's so that as the Brexit shitshow grows in the lead up to Christmas they can shout squirrel sorry Covid!

Last edited:
Doh! The penny had just dropped as to why the Tory FOR A THIRD TIME are delaying implementing covid transmission mitigation measures.

It's so that as the Brexit shitshow grows in the lead up to Christmas they can shout squirrel sorry Covid!
And because no other fucker will actually take any notice of the measures anyway,!

I mean, we were all supposed to be taking personal responsibility and exercising common sense already :rolleyes:

Not exactly working is it?

Last edited:

I’ve just booked my booster never had a letter or a text but knew my 6 months is up next week and I will have my booster.
Tragically there are still those who insist on not having the vaccination, which is sad.

Government minister 'We did it in the pandemic'. Past tense. And you wonder why people don't wear masks!!!

Ps. Charlie Stayt was playing a bit fast and loose as clearly someone needs to do more hours to address the shortages.

Last edited:
I will book my booster as soon as I’m eligible but I don’t understand why the push for the boosters. Although the effectiveness of the vaccine falls away a little after 6 months it’s still very effective. We have 5 million people without a single jab wouldn’t it be better to persuade them to come forward for a jab. We hear every year that hospitals are working at or near capacity so why would you make a conscious decision to make it worse by not bringing in measures that would reduce the numbers of deaths, having no effect on the economy. They don’t give a flying F about the NHS or the general population of this country.

I will book my booster as soon as I’m eligible but I don’t understand why the push for the boosters. Although the effectiveness of the vaccine falls away a little after 6 months it’s still very effective. We have 5 million people without a single jab wouldn’t it be better to persuade them to come forward for a jab. We hear every year that hospitals are working at or near capacity so why would you make a conscious decision to make it worse by not bringing in measures that would reduce the numbers of deaths, having no effect on the economy. They don’t give a flying F about the NHS or the general population of this country.
There is a suggestion today that boosters should be given after 5 months so it may be that protection wanes faster than first thought.

Also it seems trying to persuade the unvaccinated 5m to get the jab is like trying to push water uphill. The government should cease with the pull tactics that clearly haven't worked and push people via a vaccine passport. When people start getting refused entry to pubs, clubs, footie, gigs etc many will get jabbed.

And yes agree, they are incredibly selfish if they don't have a medical reason not to be jabbed.

There are people who live 3 doors from me who are vehement "anti-vax" you`ll never get them done.

As for the NHS barring the "clean slate" of historical debt (£13 billion or so) and the planned spending for the Department of Health and Social Care in England that was £212.1 billion in 2020/21, up from £150.4 billion in 2019/20 what else can HMG do?

They certainly aren`t holding back with giving it money - the problem is how it is spent.

MrsEYMk2 is moving up the ladder to replace her boss (retired).

Common sense says move her up - minor salary increase and replace her role, ideally from within the team or external.

The NHS Way
Restructure the entire department so 41 people are impacted.
The new structure has 45 posts so the 41 have to apply for the job they want and are probably already doing.
4 new folk will eventually be added to the team.
45 Job descriptions to be written.
45 Recruitment adverts to pass through the HR system
45 posts to be approved by finance.
45 posts to be short-listed.
45 posts to be interviewed/appointed with commensurate HR engagement.

Cost of the process probably runs into tens of thousands.................. why?

Had an NHS text today telling me I could book the booster jab. Online system has apparently not caught up with that yet as it wouldn't let me!

There are people who live 3 doors from me who are vehement "anti-vax" you`ll never get them done.

As for the NHS barring the "clean slate" of historical debt (£13 billion or so) and the planned spending for the Department of Health and Social Care in England that was £212.1 billion in 2020/21, up from £150.4 billion in 2019/20 what else can HMG do?

They certainly aren`t holding back with giving it money - the problem is how it is spent.

MrsEYMk2 is moving up the ladder to replace her boss (retired).

Common sense says move her up - minor salary increase and replace her role, ideally from within the team or external.

The NHS Way
Restructure the entire department so 41 people are impacted.
The new structure has 45 posts so the 41 have to apply for the job they want and are probably already doing.
4 new folk will eventually be added to the team.
45 Job descriptions to be written.
45 Recruitment adverts to pass through the HR system
45 posts to be approved by finance.
45 posts to be short-listed.
45 posts to be interviewed/appointed with commensurate HR engagement.

Cost of the process probably runs into tens of thousands.................. why?
I wouldn't knock it, recruitment/HR or at least attempted recruitment is one of the few growing industries we have right now.

More seriously how much of this is driven by the government's insistence that the NHS must reform however being one of the most effective health services in the world there are few places out can go so management end up restructuring in a vain attempt to find the holy-grail? Just a thought.

One in 55 estimated to have Covid in England

Ok it's only an average but based on this 104 people at Tuesday's game had covid.

One in 55 estimated to have Covid in England

Ok it's only an average but based on this 104 people at Tuesday's game had covid.

That would be fine............. there was plenty of space.

Oxford cases are around 315 per 100k, so the odds were starkly lower than you suggest.

Would be nearer 17 potential cases based on 5,500 folk.

Hold on to your hats folks.............................. we are back to Page 1 and more work....

Delta sub-lineage AY.4.2 designated as a Variant Under Investigation by UK Health Security Agency

The Delta variant sub-lineage known as Delta AY.4.2 was designated a Variant Under Investigation (VUI) by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) on 20 October 2021 and has been given the official name VUI-21OCT-01.

The designation was made on the basis that this sub-lineage has become increasingly common in the UK in recent months, and there is some early evidence that it may have an increased growth rate in the UK compared to Delta. More evidence is needed to know whether this is due to changes in the virus’ behaviour or to epidemiological conditions.

The genome of VUI-21OCT-01 does not have many mutations compared to Delta. However, a small change may be enough to cause a difference in the virus properties in some circumstances. UKHSA is monitoring this closely.

The original Delta variant remains overwhelmingly dominant in the UK, making up approximately 99.8% of all cases. As of 20 October, there were 15,120 cases of VUI-21OCT-01 confirmed by whole genome sequences in England since it was first detected in July. In the last week, VUI-21OCT-01 accounted for approximately 6% of all Delta cases. Cases have been confirmed through whole genome sequencing in all 9 regions of England.

Back
Top Bottom