International News Covid-19 .....

Norwegian health records shows that people who had the same doctor for 2-3 years were:
13% less likely to need out of hours care
12% less.likely to be admitted to hospital and 8% less likely to die. After 15 years those figures were: 30%, 28% and 25%.
I hazard a bet that the Norwegians are vastly more healthy than us, that's not down to money, that's personal choices and responsibility. I do agree though that GPs are largely taking the P**s, they should be seeing people face to face, not hiding in their 6 bedroom houses talking to patients on Zoom

I hazard a bet that the Norwegians are vastly more healthy than us, that's not down to money, that's personal choices and responsibility.
And government action …

According to the WHO:
Norwegians lead longer and healthier lives than most other Europeans. Since 2000, life expectancy has increased steadily, as a result of both effective public health policies that have reduced the prevalence of risk factors and the health care system's capacity to deliver high-quality care to the population.

I hazard a bet that the Norwegians are vastly more healthy than us, that's not down to money, that's personal choices and responsibility. I do agree though that GPs are largely taking the P**s, they should be seeing people face to face, not hiding in their 6 bedroom houses talking to patients on Zoom

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Why are you jumping on the anti GP bandwagon? They are brilliant.

This is who you should be attacking those who promise you more GPs and don't deliver. Or you could train to be a doctor yourself and bag a six bedroom house.

Not all patients need a face-to-face appointment.

Some can be easily & effectively done by phone/video and by a nurse/pharmacist rather than a GP.

The patient should have some input into the choice of how their appointment is delivered - we are all individuals with different needs.

But you need to get past the receptionist first..............

Why are you jumping on the anti GP bandwagon? They are brilliant.

This is who you should be attacking those who promise you more GPs and don't deliver. Or you could train to be a doctor yourself and bag a six bedroom house.

I agree we need more GPs, but those we have are using the pandemic as a convenient excuse not to do the job they are paid handsomely to do. If I want to see a GP, I shouldn't be directed to a Zoom meeting

And government action …

According to the WHO:
Norwegians lead longer and healthier lives than most other Europeans. Since 2000, life expectancy has increased steadily, as a result of both effective public health policies that have reduced the prevalence of risk factors and the health care system's capacity to deliver high-quality care to the population.
A healthy lifestyle starts at home...

I agree we need more GPs, but those we have are using the pandemic as a convenient excuse not to do the job they are paid handsomely to do. If I want to see a GP, I shouldn't be directed to a Zoom meeting
Whilst I'm getting very close to agreeing with @Essexyellows which of course makes me feel a bit dirty, but being in full-time employment in a different town to my doctor, I think that remote meetings for GP appointments are a fantastic thing, if used correctly. First consultation via video is fine for me, then if something needs to be done F2F then another appointment can be arranged.

Granted it's not for everyone but there should definitely be time set aside for those who want the convenience of using modern technology to streamline their doctor appointments.

I’ll throw this one out there, not meant in anyway to be disrespectful or racist in anyway.
With the shortage of GP’s Imagine if we still had freedom of movement.
I’ll answer the argument that someone may come back with all health professionals were told they could stay and any health professional could apply to come the the U.K. and would be front of the queue to be allowed in to work.

We are back to "how things have changed" over decades.

Our GP used to live at the top of the road, he knew every family and their history/lifestyle etc etc. He was a "Family Doctor" in more ways than one.
From delivering babies with a midwife to signing death certificates it was "cradle to grave" in many ways.

What we have now are GP Hubs, where the name on the business might be consistent, but you`ll be lucky to speak to the same GP twice.
Your records are accessible for any qualified person to access and assess and video/telephone calls are just an extension of that evolution.

The average basic salary for a GP is £60-£90k based on experience etc so, not an unattractive prospect.

I’ll throw this one out there, not meant in anyway to be disrespectful or racist in anyway.
With the shortage of GP’s Imagine if we still had freedom of movement.
I’ll answer the argument that someone may come back with all health professionals were told they could stay and any health professional could apply to come the the U.K. and would be front of the queue to be allowed in to work.

Is it really a solution by "poaching" qualified GP`s or other healthcare professionals from poorer countries?

Good health starts at home - what you eat, drink, exercise all those basics, yet you don`t need to look too far to see a pending crisis.

What evidence do you have that they are 'not doing their job' other than what you've been fed via the right wing redtops etc?

What evidence do you have that they are 'not doing their job' other than what you've been fed via the right wing redtops etc?
I know several family friends who are nurses within GP surgeries and they feel completely let down by GPs, they've still been seeing patients face to face while GPs have been seen to be taking liberties with the amount of time hiding away...

Unlike you, I don't need a newspaper to tell me what to think

Whilst I'm getting very close to agreeing with @Essexyellows which of course makes me feel a bit dirty, but being in full-time employment in a different town to my doctor, I think that remote meetings for GP appointments are a fantastic thing, if used correctly. First consultation via video is fine for me, then if something needs to be done F2F then another appointment can be arranged.

Granted it's not for everyone but there should definitely be time set aside for those who want the convenience of using modern technology to streamline their doctor appointments.
I'm all for technology, but in the case of GP visits, it should be up to the patient to decide what they are most comfortable with, and from conversations I've had, that isn't what is happening.

I know several family friends who are nurses within GP surgeries and they feel completely let down by GPs, they've still been seeing patients face to face while GPs have been seen to be taking liberties with the amount of time hiding away...

Unlike you, I don't need a newspaper to tell me what to think
And what do you think the GPs would say? When you've heard both sides come back to me.

And what do you think the GPs would say? When you've heard both sides come back to me.
I'm sure you've been out in the town dressed all in red canvassing the opinion of all of the Nurses and Doctors and written a thesis to support your counter argument

I'm all for technology, but in the case of GP visits, it should be up to the patient to decide what they are most comfortable with, and from conversations I've had, that isn't what is happening.
Fair comment, there should be slots for both F2F and remote patients. I don't, however, buy into the frenzy that The Daily Mail are trying to whip up on the issue, and certainly wouldn't accuse doctors of hiding away from their duties.

Using video calls etc has made my GPs more efficient and have been able to see more patients. Likewise, it has worked well in Hospital with outpatients and that is from talking to multiple Doctors/Consultants as I've seen rather a lot over the last year.

I'm sure you've been out in the town dressed all in red canvassing the opinion of all of the Nurses and Doctors and written a thesis to support your counter argument
I'm not the one who has come om here slagging GPs off, moaning about their 6 bedroom houses on the day the Daily Mail talks about league tables to "shame doctors who won't see patients". You are so transparent.

As I said why don't you train up to be a doctor?

made my GPs more efficient and have been able to see more patients
Has it though? I'm not clear how exactly a video call takes any less time than a face to face, in fact, in quite a lot of cases, I'd of expected it to take longer...
Likewise, it has worked well in Hospital with outpatients and that is from talking to multiple Doctors/Consultants as I've seen rather a lot over the last year.
I agree with regards to hospitals, it makes more sense

Back
Top Bottom