International News Covid-19 .....

One for our Antipodean members....

Don't - this has caused me untold PITA this week. Scheduled to do some experiments in Melbourne next week. On Tuesday if became obvious that my folks wouldn't be able to travel there, so I've managed to wrangle some big favours to get Melbourne-local mates to run them, and now with the extension I'm having to write a justification for them to even be allowed to do the work. Ironically, some of it is covid-relevant research. This is the 4th time in the last year that what we're trying to do has been fubarred by covid, with 4 PhD students needing these experiments for their theses. Aaaaaaaaarghhhhhh.

The worrying thing is that at the moment it looks like some transfers from very very casual contacts. If that's real then its very contagious. (Although if that were the case one might expect it to have exploded which - touch wood - it doesn't seem to have).

75% of adults have had one or more jabs.
Numbers locally are fairly stable.
Positive cases are in the 30`s for City and 40`s for the county.
June 21st is looking optimistic and then we just learn to live with it.
In other news I got turned down for another Trial as I`m on too many already! :ROFLMAO:

75% of adults have had one or more jabs.
Numbers locally are fairly stable.
Positive cases are in the 30`s for City and 40`s for the county.
June 21st is looking optimistic and then we just learn to live with it.
In other news I got turned down for another Trial as I`m on too many already! :ROFLMAO:
As an NHS wonk you'll know that the biggest danger is allowing the virus to carry on circulating freely and mutating into possibly lethal varieties. If cases are still high we may need to hold off a bit.

In other news, most of the countries that have handled it particularly badly have populist right-wing governments - US, UK, Brazil, India. The US are getting on top of it quickly now they have an adult in charge.

As an NHS wonk you'll know that the biggest danger is allowing the virus to carry on circulating freely and mutating into possibly lethal varieties. If cases are still high we may need to hold off a bit.

In other news, most of the countries that have handled it particularly badly have populist right-wing governments - US, UK, Brazil, India. The US are getting on top of it quickly now they have an adult in charge.

The reality is we are unlikely to globally eliminate it or its variants, irrespective of who is in charge or which country.
Globalisation has a lot to answer for with its spread so we`ll just knock that on the head and all will be well....... no?
So, lmost by default, we have to learn to live with it or remain as we are for an indeterminate amount of time.
Neither option bothers me personally, I still get paid, etc however a lot of people are going to be in a far different situation.

I would have thought a more liberal/left thinking person would think of those who have to go to work to keep a roof over their head?

The reality is we are unlikely to globally eliminate it or its variants, irrespective of who is in charge or which country.
Globalisation has a lot to answer for with its spread so we`ll just knock that on the head and all will be well....... no?
So, lmost by default, we have to learn to live with it or remain as we are for an indeterminate amount of time.
Neither option bothers me personally, I still get paid, etc however a lot of people are going to be in a far different situation.

I would have thought a more liberal/left thinking person would think of those who have to go to work to keep a roof over their head?
Well it's not an either/or situation - we can unlock carefully and gradually depending on data

Well it's not an either/or situation - we can unlock carefully and gradually depending on data

Not so sure about where you live but around these parts, any "restrictions" seem to have gone out of the window when the sun came out.

Work colleagues have been to weddings, visiting family all across the country and everywhere seems "busy".

Just watching the cricket and there are "Suits" in the boxes chatting away no masks, no distancing ..... although they could well be tested/bubbled who knows?

Not so sure about where you live but around these parts, any "restrictions" seem to have gone out of the window when the sun came out.

Work colleagues have been to weddings, visiting family all across the country and everywhere seems "busy".

Just watching the cricket and there are "Suits" in the boxes chatting away no masks, no distancing ..... although they could well be tested/bubbled who knows?
Well it’s up to the government to draw up and enforce the laws. Mind you I’ve hugged three ladies since I was double jabbed last week.

I cant believe that we are debating unlocking. 4 tests, 3 pass, 1 definite fail. Until we know more about the Indian variant, we have to hold off full reopen.

And Boris only has himself and his useless cabinet to blame.

I cant believe that we are debating unlocking. 4 tests, 3 pass, 1 definite fail. Until we know more about the Indian variant, we have to hold off full reopen.

And Boris only has himself and his useless cabinet to blame.

Think it is more nuanced than that.....
Test 1. Vaccine programme
Test 2. Vaccine efficacy in reducing admissions.
Test 3. Infection rates leading to an increase in hosptilisations.
Test 4. Scientist assessment of risk of variants (see Test 1 & 2)

And it is still over a week until the next call.

Does this feel like leveling up or levelling down?

Do you really think that is the only additional revenue stream on offer?

Even locally....

Do. Your. Research.

Twitter is a cherry pickers delight.

Even locally....

Do. Your. Research.

God, you were in the rah-rah debating soc at school weren’t you?

Even locally....

Do. Your. Research.

Well the School Catch up Czar appointed by the Govt disagrees and resigned:

And I'm sure he did lots of research.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom