International News Covid-19 .....

In amongst all the drama folk seem to have forgotten that flu happily kills folk.
Whereas Covid acts/behaves slightly differently the basics of virus reduction (hands, face, space) will remain with us for a long time yet.

I very much doubt that, life will just go back to how it was and this will seem like a strange, strange time.

I think it depends how public health campaigns work in the future. “Coughs and sneezes spread diseases” was used in the 1920s, 1940s and again later.

I would be very concerned that the PH structure/Test & Trace that has been built is just as easily removed as it is operated by external/out-sourced bodies.
Probably the most dangerous point will be when the testing centres start to close and be taken down and we start forgetting about it...

I think it depends how public health campaigns work in the future. “Coughs and sneezes spread diseases” was used in the 1920s, 1940s and again later.
And (coughs n sneezes spread diseases), as trotted out by lord snooty (JRM) at the start of this pandemic about a year ago

If people intentionally try and dodge the system it is their fault.
Shouldn`t be difficult to cross reference the flight manifest!

Same as folk whine about paying for quarantine...... tough luck, don`t travel!

And in other news folk are now whining about the queues at Heathrow... can`t have it both ways.

Oh here we go...back to the fault of the individual, not the system:rolleyes:

No sympathy for those who still feel it necessary to partake in International travel, but the "system" should be identifying those trying to circumvent it and be flexible enough to close those loopholes, otherwise what's the point?

As an aside, a friend of a friend "commutes" each week from the UK to Switzerland for work. Whilst more time consuming, going overland is apparently far less hassle in terms of checks....make of that what you will!

If people intentionally try and dodge the system it is their fault.
Shouldn`t be difficult to cross reference the flight manifest!

Same as folk whine about paying for quarantine...... tough luck, don`t travel!

And in other news folk are now whining about the queues at Heathrow... can`t have it both ways.

If you have a system that’s easy enough to avoid then it’s the fault of the idiots who didn’t just shut the borders to avoid that happening isn’t it?

In what way have they 'dodged the system' and why does the system allow this?

From what I gather they failed to put their name on the test tube label....... so who do you blame?
I`ll assume that it`s home test kit that they bag and handover to A N Other.
As the tube/sample is in a bag and possibly collected by courier then who is to blame?

The person who didn`t put their name on the label.

If you have a system that’s easy enough to avoid then it’s the fault of the idiots who didn’t just shut the borders to avoid that happening isn’t it?

Once you reach the point of an endemic virus in the population then shutting the borders makes little/no difference.
The variants could develop here naturally as that is what viruses do.

The conversation about closing the borders hard should have happened March 2020.... imagine the meltdown then.
10`s or 100`s of thousands of UK citizens "locked out".
Then stop the freight?
People passing through airport hubs and not staying?
People arriving in rubber dinghies?

Probably easier with the numbers/volumes in NZ etc?

Sounds easy but I don`t think it is.

Oh here we go...back to the fault of the individual, not the system:rolleyes:

No sympathy for those who still feel it necessary to partake in International travel, but the "system" should be identifying those trying to circumvent it and be flexible enough to close those loopholes, otherwise what's the point?

As an aside, a friend of a friend "commutes" each week from the UK to Switzerland for work. Whilst more time consuming, going overland is apparently far less hassle in terms of checks....make of that what you will!

No system is 100% fool proof if someone is determined to bypass it.
Especially if they are willing to do something immoral or illegal.

From what I gather they failed to put their name on the test tube label....... so who do you blame?
I`ll assume that it`s home test kit that they bag and handover to A N Other.
As the tube/sample is in a bag and possibly collected by courier then who is to blame?

The person who didn`t put their name on the label.
Why can't the use the unique reference number that will be printed on all the important kit?

Why can't the use the unique reference number that will be printed on all the important kit?

Depends on the kit, I`m not fully conversant with which process they are using.

As a "lived" example.
Me & Mrs EYMk2 are on a clinical trial.
We both got "home testing kits" allocated to us as individuals should we need them.
Mrs EYMk2 had symptoms - post blinded vaccination.
She done what was needed (double swab and saliva sample), packed it in the box all barcoded and labelled as per instructions.
Had to write her name on the barcoded labels.
Rang the number, courier came and picked it up within 4 hours.

Turns out she was negative but that was how it worked.

Had she not filled in her name the barcode was consistent on all parts of the kit and allocated to her.

Should be similar with these isolation tests.

Back at the factory....... back on the numbers....hectic day!!

Cases are well down, inpatients are down to 220 or so but a larger percentage of them are very poorly
75,469 people in Leicestershire have tested positive - up from 75,229 (increase 170).
33,997 (increase of 66) were within the Leicester City Council area.
41,472 (increase of 104) cases were reported in the County.

UHL reported 11 death's.
The death's occurred on the following days, 28th January (1), 16th February (1), 18th February (1), 19th February (2), 20th February (1), 21st February (1), 22nd February (2), 23rd February (1), and 27th February (1).

Total number of UHL death's stands at 1348.

Depends on the kit, I`m not fully conversant with which process they are using.

As a "lived" example.
Me & Mrs EYMk2 are on a clinical trial.
We both got "home testing kits" allocated to us as individuals should we need them.
Mrs EYMk2 had symptoms - post blinded vaccination.
She done what was needed (double swab and saliva sample), packed it in the box all barcoded and labelled as per instructions.
Had to write her name on the barcoded labels.
Rang the number, courier came and picked it up within 4 hours.

Turns out she was negative but that was how it worked.

Had she not filled in her name the barcode was consistent on all parts of the kit and allocated to her.

Should be similar with these isolation tests.
Not comparable. If you are on a trial you are clearly willing participants, quite different from a system needed to track a large group of people who probably think the whole thing is a annoying faff.

Not comparable. If you are on a trial you are clearly willing participants, quite different from a system needed to track a large group of people who probably think the whole thing is a annoying faff.

Just describing process, forgot you know everything.

"An annoying faff" is the price they pay for travelling in these peculiar times.

Maybe we should put them in striped pyjamas and keep them in camps and tattoo a number on them in case they escape?

Back
Top Bottom