International News Covid-19 .....

So, I thought the Government were giving local authorities more power, Oxford wanted to go to T2 but we're stopped?

With the new financial help that’s been offered, I can see a lot of business fiddling.

So, I thought the Government were giving local authorities more power, Oxford wanted to go to T2 but we're stopped?
Oxford wanted to go to T2 but thankfully plenty of other local councillors etc. in Oxfordshire (where cases are extremely low in certain areas) sought to avoid it.

If Oxford want to go into lockdown because of the rising cases at Brookes and UoO then crack on. Don’t tar the rest of us with the same brush though in my opinion.

Why should people in a village such as East Hanney be subject to the same measures as those who decided to get wrecked during freshers week and piled into the White Horse in Headington etc. I’m not saying I wouldn’t have done the same when I was at Uni.... I would have! But I wouldn’t have expected other people to have to be subject to the same rules (rightly or wrongly).

Oxford wanted to go to T2 but thankfully plenty of other local councillors etc. in Oxfordshire (where cases are extremely low in certain areas) sought to avoid it.

If Oxford want to go into lockdown because of the rising cases at Brookes and UoO then crack on. Don’t tar the rest of us with the same brush though in my opinion.

Why should people in a village such as East Hanney be subject to the same measures as those who decided to get wrecked during freshers week and piled into the White Horse in Headington etc. I’m not saying I wouldn’t have done the same when I was at Uni.... I would have! But I wouldn’t have expected other people to have to be subject to the same rules (rightly or wrongly).
It's easier to control before it gets out of control. So there is an argument that you need to stop Oxford becoming Manchester and stop East Hanney becoming Oxford so why not do both at the same time.

It's easier to control before it gets out of control. So there is an argument that you need to stop Oxford becoming Manchester and stop East Hanney becoming Oxford so why not do both at the same time.

Then why not the entire UK based on that logic?
Clear, concise and possibly better than "whack a mole"...

Kier wins either way. I think a national lockdown looks more likely as school holidays approach. If we lock down then he will say told you so. And if we don’t and death rates rise again he will say told you so. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
Mind you the NZ Premier was best when she locked down straight away. No wonder she is popular. She’s decisive. Also refused to allow any air time for the bomber. Visited areas where the earthquake struck...contrast that with Boris Johnson’s approach.
And to cap it all she and her cabinet agreed a 20% reduction in pay to be in touch with the people. No doubt the MPs over here are already planning their pay rises going into 2021

Kier wins either way. I think a national lockdown looks more likely as school holidays approach. If we lock down then he will say told you so. And if we don’t and death rates rise again he will say told you so. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
Mind you the NZ Premier was best when she locked down straight away. No wonder she is popular. She’s decisive. Also refused to allow any air time for the bomber. Visited areas where the earthquake struck...contrast that with Boris Johnson’s approach.
And to cap it all she and her cabinet agreed a 20% reduction in pay to be in touch with the people. No doubt the MPs over here are already planning their pay rises going into 2021
School holidays are next week. How much notice are they going to give?

I might be the only person on this forum that actually thinks that this So called disease is a bit of a red herring.

It’s not attention seeking, and not aimed to wind people up on this forum.

I do believe that there is something not quite right with the whole worldwide pandemic thing. I can’t put my finger on it. I’m not a full on denier, and I do respect everyone’s worry, and respect those that take it seriously.

I hope that this doesn’t make me look a bad person. It’s just an alternative view on the situation.

I’m curious to know if there is anyone else on this forum that tends to agree with me, and what there views are.

Maybe the conspiracy theory is that this virus is a lot worse than we are being told.

That's not a theory that the conspiracy theorists like to offer up primarily because its inconvenient.

Too late for that now. Half term starts tomorrow and they havent had their 3 days of media leaks to test the public mood beforehand

What I don’t understand is, if in the city of Oxford the virus seems to be mainly in the student age range (20s) and not in the more vulnerable age group, so how has the transmission transmitted and rising to more vulnerable people in rural areas?

What I don’t understand is, if in the city of Oxford the virus seems to be mainly in the student age range (20s) and not in the more vulnerable age group, so how has the transmission transmitted and rising to more vulnerable people in rural areas?
Shops, doctors, family, public transport.

This is the thing about those people who think they should be able to carry on regardless and the vulnerable should stay at home. At some point the healthy will come into contact with the vulnerable, the vulnerable cant stay in their rooms for 18 months.

Accrington Stanley v Bristol Rovers postponed after eight home players test positive
Notts County pull out of FA Cup after more positive Covid-19 tests
England's match against the Barbarians on Sunday is in doubt after several of the invitational side left their hotel for a night out.

Not sure how much longer football and other sports will/can keep going.

Shops, doctors, family, public transport.

This is the thing about those people who think they should be able to carry on regardless and the vulnerable should stay at home. At some point the healthy will come into contact with the vulnerable, the vulnerable cant stay in their rooms for 18 months.
Yeah, but why isn’t that happening in the city where there’s more shops, public transport etc?

May be it’s the schools?

Last edited:
You haven't been paying attention have you? I refer you to Mr. Kier Starmer.

Unfortunately a national lockdown wouldn`t work again as people are getting "Covid weary" and when they do the rules get forgotten.
And that`s not helped by local influences.
Living where we do we have been in some kind of local lockdown for 120+ days or Tier 2 as it is now and we`ve got "party season" coming up with Halloween, Diwali, bonfire night etc.
The City Council have installed the "Wheel of Light" on Belgrave Road yet are telling folk to stay at home...................... figure that one.
My bet is they are contracted to the wheel company as they are every year and can`t afford to back out.
So lots of folk will turn out for that, from that families will mix at each others homes and our R rate will go through the roof.
Mixed messages are not just coming from national government.

More than happy to throw more data at this to increase understanding but the guy say the May 20 peak was no worse than Jan 18 and Jan 19 but didn't point out that Ireland wasn't in lockdown in those previous Januarys. Strange.

I think Fact 1 (re :Sweden) answers the question about lockdown... He does say to keep this fact in mind when listening to the presentation.

Re: The peak was actually reference to April data rather than May Data so the lockdown was in its early phase. Let’s not forget that many said lockdown should have started much earlier as Covid was well and truly amongst us by then but it appears that the 2020 graph compared to 2018 and 2019 remains similar in pattern.

Also interesting is the reference to the lower numbers in 2019 meaning in normal circumstances one would expect 2020 to be higher anyway.

The final comment about the hysteria phase I tend to agree with... just my opinion though.

What really bothers me is the fact that in 2018 and 2019 it was just business as usual yet these charts suggest no change in patterns whatsoever.

For a conspiracy theorist angle, one would wonder if this was/is believed to be “laboratory made“ and therefore the real worry was that this virus might act in a very different way to previous natural viruses, hence this situation developed.... hmmm I wonder ?

For a conspiracy theorist angle, one would wonder if this was/is believed to be “laboratory made“ and therefore the real worry was that this virus might act in a very different way to previous natural viruses, hence this situation developed.... hmmm I wonder ?
I have heard numerous virologists talk about this. They have ALL said that this is not a man-made virus - if they look at the structure of it, it is not 'built' how a man made virus would be, and is too unstable. Not my area of expertise of course, but when enough people who *are* experts say something it is more likely to be right than not.
Although many *have* said that it is quite possibly a natural virus that had been isolated and was being studied in the Woohan labs and escaped.
So - like much of human history - more likely to be cock-up than conspiracy!

Back
Top Bottom