International News Covid-19 .....

I think the new measures are more about changing the psychology and a consequential impact on the transmission rate.
More shaking the stick at the people rather than using it.
If people behave then things will improve but if they don`t then expect a more robust approach.
That's not really answering the question.

So for your benefit only... a) do you think people will behave and b) if they do do you think these actions will bring the r number below 1?

That's not really answering the question.

So for your benefit only... a) do you think people will behave and b) if they do do you think these actions will bring the r number below 1?

a) Based on people not behaving previously then no.
b) If people don`t behave then it won`t have any impact.

Would have been more beneficial on the R rate to go in hard, however there is then the "economy" argument.
Do you go for a short, sharp shock or some longer term "grind" whilst keeping business ticking over?

At the start of all this it was fairly obvious that it was going to be a long game of many months and certainly in excess of a year.
The problem is society is so cossetted that saying so was almost forbidden.
Instead we get "measured horizons" that are allowed to get tantalisingly close, and then pushed back.
You might get your 2 weeks in Spain in June.... maybe September...... Christmas? Don`t make plans.... and so it goes on.

Seeing all the geeky stuff in the background I expect to be able to take our flight to the Canaries in May next year, but fully expect to need to be tested before departure and again before returning.
Things like that will be the new normal for a long time to come.

a) Based on people not behaving previously then no.
b) If people don`t behave then it won`t have any impact.

Would have been more beneficial on the R rate to go in hard, however there is then the "economy" argument.
Do you go for a short, sharp shock or some longer term "grind" whilst keeping business ticking over?

At the start of all this it was fairly obvious that it was going to be a long game of many months and certainly in excess of a year.
The problem is society is so cossetted that saying so was almost forbidden.
Instead we get "measured horizons" that are allowed to get tantalisingly close, and then pushed back.
You might get your 2 weeks in Spain in June.... maybe September...... Christmas? Don`t make plans.... and so it goes on.

Seeing all the geeky stuff in the background I expect to be able to take our flight to the Canaries in May next year, but fully expect to need to be tested before departure and again before returning.
Things like that will be the new normal for a long time to come.
Ok ta.

So 3 out of 3 don't think this is going to work.

7 day rolling average for hospital admissions is up to 200. Nothing like the 3200 per day at the peak in April, but it is doubling every 8 days at present.

• React
Reactions: UTM
So (if that carries on) back up to 3200 per day by this time next month. Not good at all.

That's what I heard on More or Less on R4 about 30 mins ago. The figures are for England only from what I understood. And yes there is a trend but whether it continues at that rate or plateaus is anyone's guess.

We're also nowhere near the doubling rate from March/April, which was around 3-4 days at peak.

Took in the Aston Villa game on tv in the pub on Monday night. Was in the White Horse, Headington.

Pub was packed, would say 90% students (Brooks minutes away) add in its a hungry horse pub so food is dirt (cheap) you can only imagine how busy it was.

It’s little wonder you hear about the students being the ones to blame. In the two hours or so we were in the pub, the amount on non social distancing, the tables outside all mingling and likewise nobody taking notice of the one in one out system. Also for whatever reason, the majority used the bar in person rather than through the app which was recommended upon booking and entry.

Won’t be returning in a hurry personally.

Compare that to the Wig & Pen In Ox CC. They have it down to a tee. Couldn’t be more different. We watched the Sunday football and it was perfectly organised and the staff were very much in control of everything.

Just a shame about the £4.75 a pint!!!!

Took in the Aston Villa game on tv in the pub on Monday night. Was in the White Horse, Headington.

Pub was packed, would say 90% students (Brooks minutes away) add in its a hungry horse pub so food is dirt (cheap) you can only imagine how busy it was.

It’s little wonder you hear about the students being the ones to blame. In the two hours or so we were in the pub, the amount on non social distancing, the tables outside all mingling and likewise nobody taking notice of the one in one out system. Also for whatever reason, the majority used the bar in person rather than through the app which was recommended upon booking and entry.

Compare that to the Wig & Pen In Ox CC. They have it down to a tee. Couldn’t be more different. We watched the Sunday football and it was perfectly organised and the staff were very much in control of everything.

Ok ta.

So 3 out of 3 don't think this is going to work.

Seems Covid fatigue is at the forefront of decision making according to the article..

"Sir Patrick did point out the 50,000 figure was not a prediction. But it was used in the knowledge it would grab the headlines.
Why? One person close to the decision-making told me it was about influencing behaviour - to try to persuade the public to redouble its efforts."

Should have used your "common sense" and left some would say.

Although it is the same up here.... `Spoons, Hungry Horse etc are heaving and chaos ..........but the nicer places are playing it perfectly.

Seems Covid fatigue is at the forefront of decision making according to the article..

"Sir Patrick did point out the 50,000 figure was not a prediction. But it was used in the knowledge it would grab the headlines.
Why? One person close to the decision-making told me it was about influencing behaviour - to try to persuade the public to redouble its efforts."
We are not in need of nudge theory right now, we need kick up the a**e theory!!

Should have used your "common sense" and left some would say.

Although it is the same up here.... `Spoons, Hungry Horse etc are heaving and chaos ..........but the nicer places are playing it perfectly.

We were inside, only 2 other tables were watching the game all suitably spaced out. Ordered from the app and didn’t need the loo!! Years of practice you see!

Locally it is happening...
Good - but it ought to be a clearly announced national policy, not left up to local authorities and whether there is a local lockdown or not.
If venues won't or can't enforce the rules, then (very unfortunately for some who can't rather than won't) they have to be closed down.

Whilst stressing once again that Myself and Politics are not a match, i do think that with the latest speech from the PM nothing will change in the minds of those flouting the rules past and present.A fine is no deterrent in this day and age where any individual can basically make a Monthly offer of a Token payment towards such things.

How anyone can think that an hour less in the Pub or Dining out will make any difference is beyond me,remember the scenes when pubs were to close back in March? We saw people on their Mobiles encouraging mates to hurry up and get there as they were about to close.
whilst acknowledging what a hard time this is for any Government there has been far too much ambiguity in the messaging and certainly so since the Slogan change.
Society does not have the destiny of others in their hands, it's the i'm alright jacks contolling the majority and probably don't have the sense to realize that if it all comes to a standstill again there will be no furlough to fund your all nighters,party in the parks etc.
Time to go in Very Hard on them and their kind before it's too late.

Been in this restaurant last year , my daughter is at uni there. l did not think much of it then , even less now! Shocking ?‍♂️

There are (were!) many better in the City in normal times.
Konak, Kyal and Narwaaz on London Road (A6) to name but three.

Back
Top Bottom