International News Covid-19 .....

Experience has shown that the risks when outdoors is certainly reduced. The fact that direct sunlight kills the virus and we've had some pretty stonking weather will have helped. Also the majority (probably) are still socially distancing. That said the downward trend hasn't followed Italy, Spain etc who have death rates in the 10s not the 100s.
Hands up if you trust Iberian counting..

You never could trust those foreign Johnnies. Surprised the Spanish haven't contracted out their statistical analysis to the ONS, or at least a trustworthy British organisation.

The froth and gnashers were telling us a month ago to expect an uptick in cases with "everyone" going to the beach or on the marches.
Well it hasn't happened has it?
Seems to me that being inside and in close contact with a spreader is the way to catch it and by participating in activities which involve lots of exhaling of breath like exercising, singing, shouting, dancing, talking loudly.
Not by being outside and using some common sense.
Well it is also quite a few scientists (some of whom have been advising the government) who are fearing an increase rather than just 'froth and gnashers'. God knows, nobody wants it to.
It is of course excellent that today's figures were low - but let's not start counting chickens. Once the pubs are open, we will see how long social distancing of any sort really lasts, the shops have been open for what? A week? If there is any increase it will take a while to work through.
And of course, some places (like my local town) currently have an 'R' of over 1 at the moment - well apparently. The Govt will not release local figures to councils (the MP asked about it in Parliament today).

Who gave out the contract for the NHS App? :unsure:

I assume you'll be demanding Johnson and Cummings et al go then.

Same with any procurement exercise, it`ll have someones name on it but it won`t necessarily be their sign off. Spread the blame and someone will be the sacrificial lamb.

aaah casual racism, everyone loves it
I think if you are going to accuse anything, xenophobia would be the one. Not that doubting the figures from Spain would count as that, they are all over the place with them at the moment.

I am fearful of a second wave and believe it is a case of when rather than if. For this reason I am going to work on the basis that limited contact and social distancing will be my norm. I understand the need to restart the economy and have no argument with that, however, evidence from other countries strongly suggests that a lack of diligence results in R number increases.

It wasn`t an excuse for the failure of the app, it was related to the person in the hot seat being told what to say and saying it with gusto and then back tracking somewhat.
I don`t think Boris or Matt were in in the project meetings same as our CEO when we launched automated stock control that is "world beating"........ the CEO shouted loudly about its benefits etc................ then we found out the finance to launch it across the organisation had been absorbed by a black hole in the accounts.
Net result........... CEO gone, project stalled and only running in two departments.
It happens, you move on and try again. Its life in the public sector.
Life in the public sector: 2/3rds final salary index linked pension and lump sum at 55; never take responsibility for anything; never say sorry; waste millions of the country's money on failed projects given to your mates, or on contracts for ferries that don't exist; don't care how many people die because you didn't lockdown soon enough.

Incompetent, hypocritical and arrogant people allowed to carry on without being held to account.

It's life in the public sector why we are in this mess. We shouldn't accept that it happens - it needs to stop now.

If it happens and you think it's wrong, take some responsibility for trying to change it. Don't just accept it.

Life in the public sector: 2/3rds final salary index linked pension and lump sum at 55; never take responsibility for anything; never say sorry; waste millions of the country's money on failed projects given to your mates, or on contracts for ferries that don't exist; don't care how many people die because you didn't lockdown soon enough.

Incompetent, hypocritical and arrogant people allowed to carry on without being held to account.

It's life in the public sector why we are in this mess. We shouldn't accept that it happens - it needs to stop now.

If it happens and you think it's wrong, take some responsibility for trying to change it. Don't just accept it.
Hey hang on, millions of people of all sorts are in the public sector, including the NHS. You’re talking about Boris and his dodgy mates, who are quite different. I agree - make sure they and their like never get in again. ( And no I’m not a Corbyn fan).

You're right - I am talking about Boris and his dodgy mates - and I'm no Labour voter either, before next time.

Apologies for not making it clear - I have nothing but admiration for all those in the NHS and on the front line during the past few months.

Life in the public sector: 2/3rds final salary index linked pension and lump sum at 55;
Have you been out of the country a while? Local government's final salary scheme was replaced years ago. But just keep peddling your right wing LIES. Doris would be proud of you.

Last edited:
Have you been out of the country a while? Local government's final salary scheme was replaced years ago. But just keep peddling you right wing LIES. Doris would be proud of you.
Do you work in the public sector?

Meanwhile, in Australia:
  • The Australian army is sending 1,000 army personnel to Victoria amid a surge in virus cases
  • Cases in the Australian state are low by global levels but raising concern about a new wave
Hmmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom