International News Covid-19 .....

Numbers..........
As at midnight on 28 May 2020
Patients currently being treated for COVID-19: 130
Total patients treated for COVID-19 who have been discharged: 754
Total confirmed and nationally announced deaths positive for COVID-19: 343

Thoughts..............
Do I think the relaxation of measures is to early? Yes.
Do I think the Government are telling people to act like dicks? No.
Are people acting like dicks? Yes.

However I am equally sure that lots of us are applying common sense and not acting like dicks.

Numbers..........

Thoughts..............

However I am equally sure that lots of us are applying common sense and not acting like dicks.

I wonder how many amongst those crowds on the beaches at the weekend are refusing to send their kids to school today or afraid to go to work because they are not happy with the health and safety measures?

The undermining of our responsiveness to a pandemic was one of my major concerns,” said Gabriel Scally, a professor of public health at the University of Bristol and a former regional director of public health in the NHS for almost 20 years. “There has been a destruction of the infrastructure that stops England coping with major emergencies. It absolutely explains why you’re now seeing private companies being brought into these functions.”

shocking to read how the Public health infrastructure has been dismantled across the country over the last 10 years.

• React
Reactions: QR
The British Medical Journal pulling no punches

Transparency and political interference in scientific advice was controversial even before a trip to Durham by Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s senior aide. It seems incredible that Dominic Cummings, who attended the government’s scientific advisory committee and plays a key role in the pandemic response, thought it reasonable to carry covid-19 from London to a region of lower infectivity and into a local hospital.

Johnson’s darkest hour, his decision to essentially prioritise Cummings over the pandemic response, had at least three immediate effects. First and foremost, it seriously damaged public trust and goodwill in complying with lockdown measures, risking a deadlier next wave of infection. Second, it belittled staff and patients who have risen to complex logistic, clinical and personal challenges while delivering care (doi:10.1136/bmj.m2043, doi:10.1136/bmj.m2055, doi:10.1136/bmj.m2062, doi:10.1136/bmj.m1987). Third, it forced the government’s scientific advisers into open dissent (doi:10.1136/bmj.m2109).

Scientists and doctors in advisory positions face a dual obligation to the state and to the public. But what happens when the government’s integrity no longer matches your personal or professional integrity, when your public accountability seems greater than that of the politicians you advise? Do you fight from within? Do you speak out, and even resign? What of the leaders of medical organisations working closely with the government? Regrettably, questions of conscience and duty must now be addressed.

In other news.............. our Trust have offered all the staff anti-body testing from last Saturday onward`s.

Across 12,500 folk that will give a snapshot of how many folk have had it,some without knowing it , and numbers to calculate infection across the wider population.

I can surmise from that antibody testing will become more widely available to the public in due course.

In other news.............. our Trust have offered all the staff anti-body testing from last Saturday onward`s.

Across 12,500 folk that will give a snapshot of how many folk have had it,some without knowing it , and numbers to calculate infection across the wider population.

I can surmise from that antibody testing will become more widely available to the public in due course.
I'm not sure the population of a hospital will be representative of the country as a whole if you are trying to extrapolate to estimate the prevalence of the antibody in the general population. However it may give an indication of the percentage of people who are asymptomatic say.

I'm not sure the population of a hospital will be representative of the country as a whole if you are trying to extrapolate to estimate the prevalence of the antibody in the general population. However it may give an indication of the percentage of people who are asymptomatic say.

Will be reflective of local population, related postcodes etc etc..... just more data in the mix!
It will, as you rightly pointed out, pick up asymptomatic staff, who could well have been spreading it to more vulnerable people than certain symptomatic individuals in Government! ;)

That’s good to hear.

Very disappointing that the private antibody tests have been stopped by the way. Because they’re‘ not reliable enough’.

I’d take 99.63% reliability as being good enough.

It a in everyone’s interests that as many people as possible get the all clear now.

Numbers..........

Thoughts..............

What is the trend among new admissions - and plateauing or increase following recent incidents?

What is the trend among new admissions - and plateauing or increase following recent incidents?

We are down a little bit for admissions.
Best description is that its tailing off but the tail is too thick to be comfortable.
The folk from the weekend just gone, or their friends/relatives etc, will arrive at our doors in 2 to 3 weeks if they are going too.

Sadly that will be shortly after the next "we are easing restrictions" announcement.
Whilst the government are doing the balancing act for them to say the 5 tests have been met is "pushing the realms of reality" rather a lot.
It would be better if they were straight and said wait a couple more weeks until we have a better grip of it.
All the shielding folk i know have taken their own decisions to stick to what they were doing.

Knowing how archaic some of the systems are that doesn`t surprise me.
I did think today was decidedly "low" based on comparisons to our numbers reported Mon,Weds & Fri.
Likewise I understand that 550 reports could easily have been missing data such as dates for all kinds of reasons from clinical staff not completing through to illegible and/or input errors.

That’s good to hear.

Very disappointing that the private antibody tests have been stopped by the way. Because they’re‘ not reliable enough’.

I’d take 99.63% reliability as being good enough.

It a in everyone’s interests that as many people as possible get the all clear now.

I guess it depends on how long the immunity lasts.

Back
Top Bottom