International News Covid-19 .....

You don't really buy the eyesight driving guff do you?

Can‘t say I have ever taken a quick drive to Blenheim to test out my new contact lenses prior to driving to Cornwall.

This analysis is all too late now anyway.... People can’t see beyond their anger anymore, regardless of his own account of the circumstances.

Many have already struggled these past few months by doing what they thought was the right thing but who are now being told they should have read the small print.

A2 - his decision was made prior to knowing how ill his wife was going to become, and in the knowledge that he could well (and subsequently did) become ill very soon. A pre-emptive move in these circumstances does stand up. // If he can successfully travel from london to isolation in Durham without encountering anyone in person, then he may well have considered that as less dangerous in terms of spread than staying in London with one or more people coming in and out for childminding purposes if both he and his wife were unwell at the same time //
A3,4 - As I said - the eyetest was more likely to be whether any sustained driving might bring on sight issues, (which he said he had experienced during his illness) rather than having a sight issue and doing so to establish whether he could point the car in the right direction. Hence, a two minute drive would not provide an answer. // Whether they chose to combine this with a trip out is another matter, and yes, it is unlikely that the sole purpose of the journey was the eyetest and they accidentally happened upon BArnard Castle by chance....

Would the same not have been established by beginning a journey home and if driving became a problem swap the driver? He also stated he chose the location for the 30 minute Test to not endanger other road users but by the very rules he helped put in place the roads would be as a good as empty anyway.

Could have chosen a better phrase there EY.

True enough and apologies to anyone offended.
In the day job I see the many and varied Coroners reports detailing how people chose to depart this coil and intentional self decapitation has only featured once.
I think my attitude towards death may be on a different plane to others.

True enough and apologies to anyone offended.
In the day job I see the many and varied Coroners reports detailing how people chose to depart this coil and intentional self decapitation has only featured once.
I think my attitude towards death may be on a different plane to others.

Flying into or out of the UK?

A2 - his decision was made prior to knowing how ill his wife was going to become, and in the knowledge that he could well (and subsequently did) become ill very soon. A pre-emptive move in these circumstances does stand up. // If he can successfully travel from london to isolation in Durham without encountering anyone in person, then he may well have considered that as less dangerous in terms of spread than staying in London with one or more people coming in and out for childminding purposes if both he and his wife were unwell at the same time //
A3,4 - As I said - the eyetest was more likely to be whether any sustained driving might bring on sight issues, (which he said he had experienced during his illness) rather than having a sight issue and doing so to establish whether he could point the car in the right direction. Hence, a two minute drive would not provide an answer. // Whether they chose to combine this with a trip out is another matter, and yes, it is unlikely that the sole purpose of the journey was the eyetest and they accidentally happened upon BArnard Castle by chance....
This is all nice and reasonable, but it misses a major point. Around the country there were many many people having conversations like “surely it would be ok ... to go to mums to isolate ... to make sure we’ve got childcare backup”, but decided not to because of the (appropriate) strength of the lockdown message. It takes a certain amount of entitlement to know that you can do it and even if the s**t hits the fan the establishment will protect you, while most of the population would be mortified by getting fined and suffering some humiliation.

I am convinced that many of the people supporting his actions would not be so generous if it was someone down their street, or a political figure from a party they don’t support.

An update from Malaysia. Every mall and majority of shops and restaurants you go into, they take your temperture and using a QR code, have to "check in" every time. So you go into the Westgate, at the entrance they take your temperture and you "check in" to the app. Once inside you go into Boots, again temperture check and "check in".

Cummings rang the police in advance of his trip to Durham because he was worried about security. They did not tell him to turn back nor did they warn him of his conduct. This was no cloak and dagger operation. He was transparent to the authorities. He was good to go. It was within the rules, as verified by the police .

Would our family have made the trip in similar circumstances? Yes, we would. Would yours? Maybe, maybe not. But it’s not a job ending ‘error, meriting a public flogging in the presence of Lord Justice Beth Rigby.

As for ‘Castle Barnard’ , ( why are so many in the MSM so thick?), this looks like a problem to me , the story appears thin. But I wasn’t there and whatever you think about Cummins he doesn’t seem to be a bare faced liar..

Nonetheless Cummings should have publically apologised for this trip whatever the circumstances. ( To me this looks like a lockdown breach.) And then, I bet, the matter would have moved on. He didn’t and he’s in big trouble. That’s Cummings for you ; an awkward sod. He may well lose his job.

As for the media s**t show this has mainly arisen because he spends a lot of time , (often correctly), calling out the MSM’s (and some Tory MPs) on their stupidity . People don’t like being called out for having pea brains and
there is masses of personal revenge occcuring in his treatment.

Tories won the election so handsomely in part as a consequence of his acute political sensibilities. He called over the heads of the great and the good to the people. He is a great operator, whatever you may think about him.

And the great and the good don’t like it.

hence..

His advice helped to shape a referendum result, His advice as a spad has helped to win the Tories power. In a virtual landslide.

Far more influential than Campbell, who seems to be eaten up in jealousy over Cummings’ effectiveness. )

He’s a pivotal figure in U.K.,s recent history and this is a big story. Which to my mind is being covered partially and unfairly by the media. Eg at that disgraceful scrum outside his house night after night.

Not necessarily about covid, not necessarily about Cummings but all about who runs the country and the human nature of getting even,

Sad to see everyone getting so exercised and falling out about this story when we should be talking about our team on this forum. But , my god , it is a story to be exercised about.

coyy.

Last edited:
Thanks for all those posts about the disgraceful scrums outside Diane Abbott's house night after night..

I think there's plenty of evidence Cummings is a bare-faced liar. Leaving aside the referendum campaign for a moment the first thing he did when he got back to london was edit his blog claiming he'd predicted Covid 19 and then spoke about his presecience (Lied) in the press conference

Would our family have made the same journey? yours might have mate. (would love a link to your in-laws castle and the article your wife wrote about being laid up in london with Cocid 19by the way)

My family wouldn't. Because I know. if you have or suspect you have Covid 19 you should not travel! Full Stop. Stay a t home" If you are thinking of travelling from an area with Covid 19 to an area without you are spreading the virus. That's really dangerous. Going to hospitals with the virus or visiting elderly relatives is insane. if you are regularly meeting the top scientists you know all that.

Last edited:
His advice may have shaped the referendum result. it also shaped the disastrous response to Covid19 which meant lockdown began too late leading to thousands of unnecessary deaths.

Worst per capita death rate in the world. Worst protected care homes. advocate of "herd immunity' strategy in which deaths of the old were seen by Cummings as a price worth paying.

Back
Top Bottom