International News Covid-19 .....

Not a squirrel before anyone throws that one............ Covid discussion in the right place.;)

Is everyone looking forward to "going non-essential" shopping. Not me thanks.

Anyone "rush to the beach" at the weekend. Nope not me.

Anyone straining at the leash to visit a boot sale/recycling centre/market? Nope.

This "re-starting the economy" is going to be much harder than anyone has anticipated.

Defo a slow burner for me.... I almost seem to have become set in my ways.

Not a squirrel before anyone throws that one............ Covid discussion in the right place.;)

Anyone straining at the leash to visit a boot sale/recycling centre/market? Nope.

This "re-starting the economy" is going to be much harder than anyone has anticipated.
Not me either.

Not that desperate for a new car (that you aren't supposed to drive - much) or tat from a market.

Think I will wait a bit longer until the infection rates reported are a *lot* lower!

Edit - infinitely more important for me is when I can go and see family and friends that I haven't seen for the best part of three months

I'm just looking forward to going on a proper walk when/if shielding finishes.

Did you watch the press conference? Or was it a bit late for you?
I didn’t watch it live, no, but luckily the whole 65 minutes is on YouTube.
From that I didn’t really rate the shirt, saw nothing terrible from the press, and missed the relevance of brexit.

Not me either.

Not that desperate for a new car (that you aren't supposed to drive - much) or tat from a market.

Think I will wait a bit longer until the infection rates reported are a *lot* lower!

Edit - infinitely more important for me is when I can go and see family and friends that I haven't seen for the best part of three months

Definitely agree about seeing family and friends. I assume that schools and businesses need time to ensure appropriate measures are in place, which is why they've been announced now. I would think that phase 2 of the "new normal" will be announced this weekend and will include an increase in our social bubble.

Although we have coped well as a family, and I've managed to shop for my mum whilst she isolates, neither her on the in-laws have seen our kids for 2 months and they are struggling more than we are. Easing things so they can simply cuddle the kids will be a thousand times more important than shopping.

I was making an observation about the media? You’ll have to explain your point to me because I can’t see how that makes me self righteous
Do I have to?

The self righteous brothers get indignant about things that haven't happened ... like you were doing.

Probably going to be in for some backlash and defensive comments on here from a few, but yes all doing these things when the majority of us have refrained and followed the guidelines is indefensible.

All in the wrong and all should be held accountable. Labour, Conservative, whoever....

Some on here have said that it is okay not to defend Cummings and still be a Conservative supporter. Well that sort of works both ways but It seems that none of these Labour MP misdemeanours seem to get highlighted.
As a labout supporter I'd certainly criticize those breaches, but they just aren't as important as this major one by one of the main architects of government policy.

Not a big shopper or beach goer so won't be rushing back. Really want to see my poor mother who's in a nursing home.

Not a big shopper or beach goer so won't be rushing back. Really want to see my poor mother who's in a nursing home.

And that is the crux of something that will make a huge difference to many people, interaction with family.

Hope you get there soon even if it is in a managed way.

• React
Reactions: QR

not seen my old man since early march, hes sheilding in isolation, for 12 weeks (as instructed)- speaking on the phone aint the same

Do I have to?

The self righteous brothers get indignant about things that haven't happened ... like you were doing.
Indignance. Well that involves anger and I just don’t have much of that nowadays. Sorry if I missed the joke though.

I think you are slightly missing the point @horseman

You are right in that those who have flouted the rules are idiots. Full stop. Whether they are a politician, an accountant, a used car salesman - doesn't matter. Whatever their politics or views on this that or the other, they are thoughtless fools. Fine them, make sure they don't do it again, shame them in public and get them to say they are sorry. Everyone makes mistakes (although this is a particularly stupid one to make!). Should those people lose their jobs? No, I don't think so.

There are some added problems here though.
Firstly Cummings helped to write the rules - and is now claiming that they didn't quite mean what everyone else thought (and was told) that they meant. (Cumming's excuses and convoluted reasonings yesterday reminded me of the way tax evaders try to claim it was only 'tax avoidance'!).
Secondly, he apparently STILL cannot see that anything he did could have been wrong, and that there is absolutely no need to apologise (as the rest of the public figures who have been caught have done) - which shows a breath-taking arrogance and a complete misreading of the public mood.
Thirdly, he (and his wife) have deliberately tried to cover up the fact that they made this trip (if it was all perfectly fine - why?).
Fourth - driving about to test his eyes? The thought that anyone would be stupid enough to believe that claptrap again shows a huge disdain for the intelligence of the public - he hasn't learned his lesson.
Fifth - this is the man who has the ear of the PM and is (reportedly) the power behind the elected throne. Should an un-elected, arrogant and self-centred liar be in such a position? Perhaps that is par for the course though...
Sixth - this is a huge distraction. The government record over this pandemic has been (let's be kind...) 'unimpressive' in many areas. We seem to be just about starting to come through it, albeit at huge cost both personal and financial - what we don't want is for them to be faffing about with this matter when they should be concentrating on the matter in hand.

This could have been sorted weeks ago. A full and frank pre-emptive admission and a proper apology coupled with an explanation of how central his role is in the management of the current crisis and I think he would have survived.

It isn't just what he did, it is his attitude and the effect that is going to have on how people follow the health advice given by the government in future.

Everything i have written on this subject or The Pandemic has been trying to give a balanced view...i've commented on the driving to test his eyesight, his apparent recollection of everything but not whether they stopped on the way back..I've also stated that unlike others that were caught on the spot so to speak he has had time to prepare a response and possibly after taking advice form various people..BUT (Employment Laws aside ) should one individual be removed from their job whilst it's fine for others who did the same thing to just be fined especially when it was stated being caught would lead to a fine...Whether people believe his account or have an opinion of him as a person has no bearing,if he or any of the others quit their job then they have made that decision.

With regards this having an effect on how people follow the health advice, sensible people will continue to do the sensible and responsible thing whereas the morons will just carry on doing as they have always done and want.
I have remained in the house since the first week of March and just like the vast majority of us i am not going to just suddenly change that and throw parties or visit the beach just because some others have done so.

With all this said i am confident nobody has a clue of how i vote based on what i have written.

Back
Top Bottom