International News Covid-19 .....

The big building companies who shut their sites down are all liaising and looking to open back up next week. Madness.

The big building companies who shut their sites down are all liaising and looking to open back up next week. Madness.

That would be mental, especially in London where a lot of the sites have no parking and the workers travel in on public transport.

food for thought .....

After this pandemic has run its course and passed
Workers who paid the ultimate price for doing their job - caring for the sick or putting themselves at risk daily to help the population cope with the CV19 pandemic will soon be forgotten
While those whos actions/ inactions were contributory factors to the situation's impact on the population, in one way or another, will very likely end up with decorations or knighthoods

• React
Reactions: Ian
food for thought .....

After this pandemic has run its course and passed
Workers who paid the ultimate price for doing their job - caring for the sick or putting themselves at risk daily to help the population cope with the CV19 pandemic will soon be forgotten
While those whos actions/ inactions were contributory factors to the situation's impact on the population, in one way or another, will very likely end up with decorations or knighthoods
Well let’s hope the newly invigorated Labour opposition, together with like minded MPs across all parties, ensure this does not happen.

Was in the garden earlier and listened to 2 women have a nice conversation on the path outside. However, they were stood next to each other gabbing away.

Sadly, it looks like the Govt were right to assume that a persistent minority would think that it's ok to nip out to see friends or drive for miles to take the dog for a walk, and to leave the shutdown as late as possible as a consequence. Frankly, those people are completely thick selfish twonks and will only make life hard for the rest of us when the inevitable happens after they go out for a picnic or whatever tomorrow.

Oh, and China... Never trust anything stats that come from China. That curve looked too perfect...

The continuing "party over everything" mantra is really hitting everyone else in the world. Arrogant, communistic morons. They cannot be allowed to operate as they are.

Have not done a statto post in a week or so......

......but worth pointing out that Britain, as it was when I last posted, is still tracking almost exactly two weeks behind Italy and (within plus/minus ~20%) following the same curve.

The good news is that the curve is flattening in Italy. The rate of increase in cases and deaths is now basically linear (rather than exponential), and just starting to show signs of tailing off.

The bad news of course is that this still means that Italy is at least a couple of weeks away from being able to claim success and begin to ease restrictions.....and Britain has to add an additional two weeks on to that. With the terrible part being that Italy is still losing 700-900 people a day to Covid.

It's worse here in America. Whilst New York/New Jersey (where I live) is following a similar trajectory to Britain.....because the country is so vast, other cities and states are further behind and catching up. Covid's going to be here for a long time......

On an individual level this is awful. And it further demonstrates why the Govt policy on not testing old folk before they leave hospital (for non Covid issues) for Care Homes, even if showing some symptoms, is reckless and playing russian roulette with residents lives.

That is probably because Alock Sharma wrote a letter to them saying he sees no reason why construction sites shouldnt remain open as long as the social distancing can be respected (which it cant) the same day he was on the podium saying stay at home protect NHS save lives. Mixed messages

On an individual level this is awful. And it further demonstrates why the Govt policy on not testing old folk before they leave hospital (for non Covid issues) for Care Homes, even if showing some symptoms, is reckless and playing russian roulette with residents lives.
I couldn't see, in the report, any mention of residents having been in hospital for Covid-19 or otherwise? The problem lies with the necessity of carers having a close proximity to the residents. The transmission of the virus would happen in any environment where contact was a necessity or just an unavoidable event.
What would you have done? Isolate all the residents and reduce all personal care to the length of a hosepipe?
This has nothing to do with any policy, government or otherwise. It's an unavoidable fact of life. All it would take is for one person to be infected even, asymptomatic, which would be worse. Care homes are constantly plagued by bugs and illness, this is no different. Sadly, the outcome has been far worse than usual but not as a result of government policy.

I couldn't see, in the report, any mention of residents having been in hospital for Covid-19 or otherwise? The problem lies with the necessity of carers having a close proximity to the residents. The transmission of the virus would happen in any environment where contact was a necessity or just an unavoidable event.
What would you have done? Isolate all the residents and reduce all personal care to the length of a hosepipe?
This has nothing to do with any policy, government or otherwise. It's an unavoidable fact of life. All it would take is for one person to be infected even, asymptomatic, which would be worse. Care homes are constantly plagued by bugs and illness, this is no different. Sadly, the outcome has been far worse than usual but not as a result of government policy.

I never said this case did so apologies if it came over as I did. But I meant it highlights the greater risk in a Care Home from Covid-19. Govt Policy is that Care Homes must take old folk from Hospital after being discharged (after non-Coronavirus issues) even though they haven't been tested for Coronavirus or even when showing some Coronavirus symptoms. Care Homes quite reasonably want the patients/residents tested to confirm they are clear before leaving the Hospital so as to reduce the risk to already very vulnerable residents in the Homes for the reasons you've mentioned.

Last edited:
Have not done a statto post in a week or so......

......but worth pointing out that Britain, as it was when I last posted, is still tracking almost exactly two weeks behind Italy and (within plus/minus ~20%) following the same curve.

The good news is that the curve is flattening in Italy. The rate of increase in cases and deaths is now basically linear (rather than exponential), and just starting to show signs of tailing off.

The bad news of course is that this still means that Italy is at least a couple of weeks away from being able to claim success and begin to ease restrictions.....and Britain has to add an additional two weeks on to that. With the terrible part being that Italy is still losing 700-900 people a day to Covid.

It's worse here in America. Whilst New York/New Jersey (where I live) is following a similar trajectory to Britain.....because the country is so vast, other cities and states are further behind and catching up. Covid's going to be here for a long time......
I heard a repot on the BBC that New Orleans is expeiencing a death rate twice as bad as New York's. This is because they didn't cancel the Mardi Gras celebrations in late February when thousands gathered in the streets.

That is probably because Alock Sharma wrote a letter to them saying he sees no reason why construction sites shouldnt remain open as long as the social distancing can be respected (which it cant) the same day he was on the podium saying stay at home protect NHS save lives. Mixed messages

It doesn’t make a lot of difference what he says when the majority of PCs have shut down sites and furloughed most of their workforce. The labour only guys, subbies and agency crews might be up for it (understandably) but site management on these projects are PAYE and their bosses are closing up shop as it’s the right thing to do.

The conversations I’ve had over the last couple of weeks centred around a lot of the main contractors being concerned they were causing the virus to spread as a result of people travelling on public transport to site or interacting on site. A number of them have actually moved and made their cabins available to the NHS for testing areas etc. to extend capacity.

I never said this case did, but it highlights the greater risk in a Care Home from Covid-19. Govt Policy is that Care Homes take old folk from Hospital after being discharged (after non-Coronavirus issues) even though they haven't been tested for Coronavirus or even when showing some Coronavirus symptoms. Care Homes want the patients/residents, quite reasonably, tested to confirm they are clear before leaving the Hospital so as to reduce the risk to already very vulnerable residents in the Homes for the reasons you've mentioned.
From experience I can say that 99% of care homes operate a very strict re-admission policy. If they have any doubts about the health of a resident they will insist on an assessment prior to return. I know this from my time in the ambulance service (PTS) and as both son and son-in-law of residents. (Both now passed away)
For a care home to be pressed into taking a resident back with any change in their health would be unusual unless that change was minor.
That's not to say that testing shouldn't happen, it should but, sadly, the resources are not yet available in sufficient quantities. It is also the case that relatives, and the residents, may have expressed the wish to return. Both my Mother and Father-in-law expressed their desire to avoid hospital stays and both passed at their respective care homes.

From experience I can say that 99% of care homes operate a very strict re-admission policy. If they have any doubts about the health of a resident they will insist on an assessment prior to return. I know this from my time in the ambulance service (PTS) and as both son and son-in-law of residents. (Both now passed away)
For a care home to be pressed into taking a resident back with any change in their health would be unusual unless that change was minor.
That's not to say that testing shouldn't happen, it should but, sadly, the resources are not yet available in sufficient quantities. It is also the case that relatives, and the residents, may have expressed the wish to return. Both my Mother and Father-in-law expressed their desire to avoid hospital stays and both passed at their respective care homes.

I linked an article from the Guardian on this earlier in the thread and the Care Homes are being told they must take them or basically kick them out of the Care Home. I've read some other reports on it as well.

Last edited:
My wife works in a nursing home and she tells me that they have recently received two new residents - these are not people returning to the home from a spell in hospital. Neither have been tested for C19 and consequently have to be quarantined (which means being confined to a room) and barrier nursed (you can only enter gowned up and masked).

The risk to staff and residents, although unquestionably there, is thus reduced but just spare a thought for those elderly people that are being placed in unfamiliar surroundings and who will only have a minimal human contact, and that from people that they don't know, for fourteen days.

Back
Top Bottom