International News Covid-19 .....

If you look at what they said and did, if you believe in conspiracies or coincidences, then you'd look at the WHO communication early and think they are either totally incompetent and not fit for purprose or a Chinese shill pandering to their masters - I offer no comment either way.

It is fair to say that there are a lot of questions to asked of WHO and if they are relevant after this pandemic. After all their early misdiagnosis could well have helped to tank economies and importantly, people's lives.

As an aside, when this is all done, the west need to take a long hard look at China, their hygiene standards and if this is worth the cheap products, etc? If China won't change, we have to minimise the business we do with them
This is a dodgy looking right wing site - you can always tell when they start talking about cutting the funding of international bodies. It’s wrong to deprive Taiwan of a seat , however- I don’t know the full background but there will be more than this oversimplified story gives you.

As an aside, when this is all done, the west need to take a long hard look at China, their hygiene standards and if this is worth the cheap products, etc? If China won't change, we have to minimise the business we do with them
You'd hope so, but then you'd have hoped their appalling human rights record would have made us minimise business with them, and that never happened.

This is a dodgy looking right wing site - you can always tell when they start talking about cutting the funding of international bodies. It’s wrong to deprive Taiwan of a seat , however- I don’t know the full background but there will be more than this oversimplified story gives you.
Which site is that? I'm asking relevant questions about how this was managed early, considering the world is nigh on locked down for an indefinite period with severe consequences.

I'd look at WHOs comms, especially in early January, and wonder why they erred on COVID-19 and presumably trusted Chinese data? This is one of many things that are concerning:

It was clear this disease was nasty and spreading quickly within China at the time, hence why there are questions to be asked later on about why they waited and how they are organised.

You'd hope so, but then you'd have hoped their appalling human rights record would have made us minimise business with them, and that never happened.
Agree wholeheartedly. I never understood Western companies willingly handing over their IP to business in China as well. We have to seriously review why we do business with China, other than because of cost. Especially under the present leader.

I can think of many things and countries that we should wonder why we do business with them, weapons etc for starters and we also turn our backs to human rights affairs when that country has something we need/want oil for example.

Agree wholeheartedly. I never understood Western companies willingly handing over their IP to business in China as well. We have to seriously review why we do business with China, other than because of cost. Especially under the present leader.

"...other than because of cost"

This is sadly the problem. We all want the cheapest possible products regardless of where they come from. Society turns a blind eye to products and practices that destroy the environment, animal welfare and causes inequality that leaves billions poor whilst a few individuals get absurdly rich.

If this can somehow rebalance this then maybe more good than harm would have come from this all. However, unfortunately I can only ever see a return to self absorbed greed and a rush for cheap Chinese products the second this is over.

Without wishing to drag this thread down it’s very difficult to blame a government who are enacting “the will of the people” by leaving our closest/largest trading partner and are now actively seeking to forge business and trade relationships with countries that will help maintain and grow our economy. Yes I know we’ve traded with China long before the whole Brexit debate but they will have to become more of a partner not less.

Aside from China let’s not forget as Horseman has said that as a nation we procure and trade with many countries with questionable (at the very least) moral compasses.

As individuals, as Scotchegg has alluded to, many want cheap products or products quickly delivered to them. As a result of that we have global brands with huge supply chains that often end up being supported by small, unsafe and environmentally harmful facilities where workers human rights are violated on a daily basis.

This isn’t limited to China though. Look at the Indian brick trade, coffee and tobacco farming in South America, child exploitation in hazelnut production in Turkey, armed groups and child labour involvement in the extraction of 3TG minerals in Africa and so on. Let’s also not forget the thousands of people in the U.K. who have been referred by the NCA national referral mechanism (of which over 3000 were categorised as child or adult labour exploration cases).

Society needs to change and perhaps the pandemic will force that upon us. I’ve used more local grocers, breweries, butchers in the last two weeks than last 10 years. I work with NGOs and businesses looking at exploitation in supply chains and I’m as guilty as the next person. It’s not possible (in my opinion) to live the perfect life but there are choices people can make that make these things less profitable all round.

Not using Wetherspoons and Sports Direct being a case in point when this whole sorry saga is over.

Given the Brexit ‘triumph’ I suspect the field of dodgy trade partners will become pretty competitive.

Without wishing to drag this thread down it’s very difficult to blame a government who are enacting “the will of the people” by leaving our closest/largest trading partner and are now actively seeking to forge business and trade relationships with countries that will help maintain and grow our economy. Yes I know we’ve traded with China long before the whole Brexit debate but they will have to become more of a partner not less.

Aside from China let’s not forget as Horseman has said that as a nation we procure and trade with many countries with questionable (at the very least) moral compasses.

As individuals, as Scotchegg has alluded to, many want cheap products or products quickly delivered to them. As a result of that we have global brands with huge supply chains that often end up being supported by small, unsafe and environmentally harmful facilities where workers human rights are violated on a daily basis.

This isn’t limited to China though. Look at the Indian brick trade, coffee and tobacco farming in South America, child exploitation in hazelnut production in Turkey, armed groups and child labour involvement in the extraction of 3TG minerals in Africa and so on. Let’s also not forget the thousands of people in the U.K. who have been referred by the NCA national referral mechanism (of which over 3000 were categorised as child or adult labour exploration cases).

Society needs to change and perhaps the pandemic will force that upon us. I’ve used more local grocers, breweries, butchers in the last two weeks than last 10 years. I work with NGOs and businesses looking at exploitation in supply chains and I’m as guilty as the next person. It’s not possible (in my opinion) to live the perfect life but there are choices people can make that make these things less profitable all round.

Not using Wetherspoons and Sports Direct being a case in point when this whole sorry saga is over.

good post ^^

I'll be honest. I've got lots of underlying problems which could easily do me in, if I get this virus. I'm doing the responsible thing and staying in. I don't want to get this thing and pass it on to vulnerable people and I definitely don't want it myself. It's a pain in the a**e, but so what? I think some, not many, but some people have wrongly got an attitude of 'if I get it, I'll get over it.' A young woman of 21 died in Wycombe last week. It's crazy. f*****g crazy.
I pray that none of you lot on here get it.
Who is looking after the match day dog if you are in lockdown cuddy ?

"...other than because of cost"

This is sadly the problem. We all want the cheapest possible products regardless of where they come from. Society turns a blind eye to products and practices that destroy the environment, animal welfare and causes inequality that leaves billions poor whilst a few individuals get absurdly rich.

If this can somehow rebalance this then maybe more good than harm would have come from this all. However, unfortunately I can only ever see a return to self absorbed greed and a rush for cheap Chinese products the second this is over.
I agree. We have to focus more on China, their motives. how they operate and ween ourselves off of their cheap plastic toot and perhaps insource that work to the UK. How many times can we pardon China for their issues and the impacts their half truths have on us all? This isn't the first pandemic from China is it?

While Trump gets very valid criticism for some of his talk, to an extent, he is right to want to reduce their reliance on external countries for basic and critical items and make it "in-house". If we can bring home manufacturing, we can build a more resilient economy that is less reliant on Services and the like for prosperity.

Let alone the way in which Cobalt is mined. Ethical, it ain't:

Let alone the way in which Cobalt is mined. Ethical, it ain't:

My bad! I missed the C off my 3TG. Yeah there’s quite a few companies getting burnt as a result of this! One of the big problems with minerals is that they get swallowed up in the manufacturing process and are often not identified. Look at the likes of Apple for example!

I dread to think what the percentage of cobalt mined by children is in the UK hidden inside phones, laptops, e-cigarettes, Children’s toys etc.

A factory I was at last year had absolutely no due diligence process in place to identify where the cobalt came from which was a key material within their product. I’m currently sat in my office with two of their products (id assume looking at the brands).

6 youngsters around the age of 15 arrested down here for spitting at passers by and police. Spitting at people is bad enough at the best of times let alone the times we find ourselves in at the moment. I just don't get some people. What on earth drives them to do such things.?

Update from the police. The 6 lads have been charged with 28 offences between them. Hopefully the courts will dish out the correct punishments.

Public shaming might drive home the message , stocks? or is that a infringement of their “rights”

That is because our over populated countries and their consumer debt driven economies want the products at the cheapest price.

We are now learning where value really sits.

The pigeons are certainly coming home to roost for many.

I can think of many things and countries that we should wonder why we do business with them, weapons etc for starters and we also turn our backs to human rights affairs when that country has something we need/want oil for example.

I’d argue Saudi Arabia is one who we seem happy to do business with despite being somewhat questionable!

Back
Top Bottom